Author Topic: Blu-ray/HD-DVD to x264 MKV Encoding Guide  (Read 7169 times)

May 07, 2009, 03:24:27 AM
Read 7169 times

Starstream

This here is my guide that shows how to convert your Blu-ray movies into an x264 encoded MKV video. This also applies to HD-DVD too but I will generally just refer to Blu-ray only.

What you’ll need
1) Slysoft AnyDVD HD – for decrypting discs
2) Ripbot264 – for encoding our movies into x264/MKV

Optional for subtitles
1) Suprip – for converting the subtitles into a format compatible with Ripbot264
2) HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor – a nice GUI for eac3to which can rips video/audio and subtitles from discs.
3) eac3to – required for the above.

Stage 1:
Start AnyDVD-HD and put in your disc, start Ripbot264 and the click add and point the video source to the disc typically on Blu-ray it is in the stream folder, you shouldn’t have to worry which stream you pick as Ripbot264 should scan them all (if in doubt pick the largest file).

After its finished scanning it will display info about the movie, check to make sure everything is correct and then proceed, it will take some time as Ripbot264 will do some stuff before the next stage is ready.

Stage 2:
Okay now you’re at the main encoding settings screen were we pick what needs to be set for encoding the movies
1) Set CQ = 20 – this will make most Blu-ray movies encode down to around 10-12GB in size and retain very high quality, a setting of CQ18 will be even closer to the original image but the movie may end up only slightly smaller than the original.
2) Set MKV as the container
3) Under audio profile select AC3 though if the movie had an AC3 track which you selected in Stage 1 you can use the copy stream function instead.
4) Optional -- click properties and under cropping select autocrop, this is not required as x264 has no problems with the black bars also Blu-ray’s are a bit different and you can never quite get rid of the black borders entirely
5) Optional – under the same properties section you can select resize from a selection of resolutions.

Click on “done” once you’re happy with everything.

Stage 3:
Click “Start” to begin and Ripbot264 will encode the video, now be aware that encoding Blu-ray takes a long time some averages I’ve seen
Core 2 Q6600 (quad core) = 7-8 hours average
Core 2 Q9550 (quad core) = 6 hours average
Intel Xeon E7450 4 CPU’s with 6 cores each (24 core system) = sub 2 hours

So you can see in getting a Blu-ray converted it can take some time unless you’re packing something in the high end. Now just be aware those are averages so you can easily run across a movie that takes a shorter time to encode in & of course so does the level of compression, encoding mode and all sort of other factors need to be taken into account.

Subtitles;
If dealing with subtitles this is the best way I’ve found. Don’t forget some English movies will have subs in them for foreign language segments e.g. Kill Bill, Iron Man etc. these are referred to as forced subs.

Stage 1:
Eac3to and HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor should be in the same folder, (make sure AnyDVD- HD is running in background) now start the extractor, there is a guide here showing the basics of the extractor ignoring the other media all we want is the subs so tick the box for all the subs you want to extract.

Stage 2:
After the subs have been extracted as .sup files start suprip, this will allow you to convert the subs to .srt. Click Open and point it at one of the .sup files it may be trial and error to discover the correct one in the case of forced subs. After it opens all you have to do is click on the OCR button and fill in the right character were prompted and press okay then press OCR again for it to scan to the next character it will memorize as it goes along the way so you do not have to do each one again.

Stage 3:
One you have worked your way through the entire subs click the SRT tab and you can review the subtitles in the window and check for any errors (do this as the sub scanning isn’t perfect and may place words next to each other without a gap) then click save.

If you do see errors click save and open the .srt in wordpad or notepad and make the changes there as for some reason suprip does not save the changes made in that preview window.

Stage 4:
Now you have your subs, there are two ways of integrating subs into Ripbot264 either as adding them into the MKV as selectable subtitle tracks or burning them into the video so they will always been shown.

Burning them into the video may be the way to go for forced subs as you want subtitles disabled but do want to see them in the brief moments they are used during the movies.

To add subtitles into the MKV as selectable tracks on the encoding settings screen click the subtitles button then on the + symbol to add the track to it, that’s all there is to it.

To burn the subtitles into the video don’t use the above method instead click properties and then under the subtitles section select “Build into picture” and point it at the .srt file you made. After that just encode as normal and the subs will be burned into the video at the timed markers.

Sure sounds complicated but really it’s not once you have done it once, hope this helps.

If you don't fancy the idea of spending all that time encoding but have tons of HD space then this guide for converting to MKV without encoding the video may be for you, however if you encounter play back issues with an occasional movie then you will need to encode as it is beyond the playback limits of the WDTV.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:21:33 AM by jayallan »

May 07, 2009, 09:37:21 AM
Reply #1

Fishbowls

very nice howto.
you should make another for linux.
using just open source apps.
end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

May 07, 2009, 11:24:50 AM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
All I got out of this is I need an Intel Xeon E7450 4 CPU’s with 6 cores each (24 core system) ;)

Very nice guide!   
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 08, 2009, 05:39:54 AM
Reply #3

Starstream

Fishbowls I'm afraid I am not familiar with linux so that will have to be done by someone else.

jayallan yeah I saw those in the Ripbot264 thread [I have a Q9550/Q6600 myself] was pretty darn impressive though there must be some diminishing returns with 24 cores to get under 2 hours, would be nice to see how an 8 core system fairs. Hopefully in the long run x264 will get OpenCL support and GPU's will actually become useful cutting into that encoding time.