Author Topic: WDTV LIVE Firmware Update 1.03.35 New ***  (Read 91361 times)

July 18, 2010, 03:56:31 PM
Reply #15

Whoheart

Did update to 1.03.35 and no longer got a valid output from the HDMI port. Connected to composite output (which worked fine) and rolled back to version 1.03.22. All worked fine on the HDMI output after rollback completed. Anyone else see this problem?

Redid update to 1.03.35 and verified that component output works correctly. Currently using 1.03.35 ok on my setup that requires a component connection. For the other WDTV live that uses HDMI I am staying with 1.03.22.

We're currently investigating HDMI handshaking issues in 1.03.35.

Yeah, there clearly are some. I have to turn power on and off several times before a picture shows up.

There were some in the previous beta as well, the soft power off was still supplying something to the TV because it never said "no signal".

Now half the time when i power on the device I get "no signal". Sometimes the WD intro screen shows up and then the menu never appears instead the signal dies.

Also, regarding MediaFly, remember it is possible to add items in the WDTV Live via mCodes, but its not possible to REMOVE them again. Bit of a problem.

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

July 19, 2010, 03:25:23 AM
Reply #16

Leverbrus

My experiences with this pre release:

I didn't try the previous pre release, so some of my observations may also have applied to the previous version.

My WDTV Live is not connected to a network, so I can't comment on that stuff. Also I don't use thumbnails.

But I do use it as a SD/HD video player and music player.

Good/somewhat good:
- WD finally seems to have fixed the sync bug on the optical audio output. Both 2-channel and 6-channel audio plays in sync without the need to adjust delay on my reciever.
- The dvd menu feature is really nice, but I have had trouble with dvd iso's without menu. The WDTV thinks that the first-play-video is a menu, and I cant navigate it.

Bad/really bad:
- HD video playback has become choppy. No matter which resolution/framerate option I choose, the playback is choppy. It freezes frames randomly as if it can't keep up the pace.
- The 8bit/12-bit option is buggy. Mostly I can't select 12-bit, and when I finally can, I don't know if it really goes into 12-bit mode. I can't see a difference.
- When playing music, especially FLAC files, the gap between the tracks has increased a lot compared to 1.02.xx releases.
- There is still no auto framerate, which means that you still have to fiddle with the video options every time you want to view content with different framerates. Come on WD! This is really basic.

I really don't understand why WD consistently releases firmware updates that fixes something, but ruins a bunch of other things that worked fine in previous releases.

If WD can't manage to produce a fully functioning firmware release, could they at least make a version of the first firmware, that has the menu transition disabled, for those of us that just want to use it as a player for usb disks? The factory firmware played fine, but the menu transitions sucked balls in 12-bit.

Well, for me, it's back to 1.02.21. That one actually plays the files, if you care to manually select framerate and adjust audiodelay on the reciever EVERY... DAMN... TIME... YOU... WANT... TO... SWITCH... CONTENT... TYPE...

This makes me wonder. Will they ever produce something that actually works as advertised? I had the first WDTV. That never worked (with the 24p bug and FLAC hickups and so on). This WDTV Live fares somewhat better, but it still feels like a half baked prototype with all these obvious issues. The competition from similar products is becoming more intense. Will WD rise to the challenge, or will they fail miserably? They decide, I guess.

July 19, 2010, 08:09:07 AM
Reply #17

matbl

1080p24 doesn't work in this release.
I have a device (DVDO EDGE) connected that shows exactly what the input is. Choosing 1080p24 gives me 1080p50 and jerky playback.
Downgrading to 1.02.21 gives me 1080p24 correctly. But not DVD-navigation... :(

July 20, 2010, 02:22:19 PM
Reply #18

fcosenti

Hello,

there is an issue driving me crazy.

I can connect to my Twonky media server through Wireless-N network (AES encryption). I am using QNAP TS-239 PRO II with latest firmware, but I also tried with a D-LINK DNS-323, same issue.

I start playback without issues, but randomly, the wireless network disconnects stopping playback. It happens only with WDTV Live, if I play the movie from the HTPC on the same wireless network, there are no disconnections.

My router is Billion 7800N with latest firmware. My network dongle is a D-Link DWA-140. Both official 1.2 and 1.3.35 pre-release firmwares.

Help!!

July 24, 2010, 07:26:59 AM
Reply #19

FooFighter

as I encountered HDMI issues just with this firmware release, I went back to the official one. Now all is fine again. During playback the movie started to stutter and then my Samsung LCD lost the HDMI signal from the WDTV Live.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:13:03 PM by FooFighter »
Regards,

Foo

July 24, 2010, 03:08:33 PM
Reply #20

sTu_Deimus

No way for the rest of us to unofficially try these betas? I'm not sure that it would be bad for this site to avail the files for download even if WDC themselves won't.

July 26, 2010, 03:31:10 AM
Reply #21

oingoboingo

There was a limited number of downloads available from the WD website so the new pre-release beta 1.03.35 is no longer downloadable.  How would someone like to upload it and let the rest of us know where we can access it?  That would be great!

August 04, 2010, 07:17:28 AM
Reply #23

merkling

I upgraded my wd tv and it won't turn itself on after the upgrade. Sometimes I get a wdtv intro screen and but most of the time nothing happens... The blue power on light on the unit is on, but I cant get any picture on the tv. Now I want to downgrade it, but how can i do that when I can't get the wdtv on the screen???

August 04, 2010, 11:34:06 AM
Reply #24

highdensity

Hook up your composite or component cables and see if you get a pix. If you do then set the Hdmi deep color mode to 8 bit. The new beta firmware is not working in the 12 bit mode.

August 04, 2010, 11:47:20 AM
Reply #25

merkling

Thanx!
Thought i had lost the composite cable, but found it. Got pic, downgraded it, everything works fine now... :)
Think I will wait for an official release, and not beta...

August 05, 2010, 05:22:19 PM
Reply #26

snarkle

Aside from the HDMI handshaking issues & choppy playback issues which others have already mentioned, there are two additional MAJOR issues/bugs that need to be fixed before a new update is released to the public.

This one is starting to become an issue as most new MKV files are being created with the new version of MKVMERGE which has the "header_removal_compression" setting turned on by DEFAULT.

BUG: "no audio if mkv made using new mkvmerge 4.1.0 or newer"
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=6620.0

This one has been present for a lot of users for a LONG time. 6 months. Without any fix for this on the horizon, it's likely to cause a lot of owners to be forced to return their players before the warranty expires.
BUG v1.01.11 - Must power cycle to play video
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3734.0

August 08, 2010, 12:05:50 AM
Reply #27

bozint

Aside from the HDMI handshaking issues & choppy playback issues which others have already mentioned, there are two additional MAJOR issues/bugs that need to be fixed before a new update is released to the public.

This one is starting to become an issue as most new MKV files are being created with the new version of MKVMERGE which has the "header_removal_compression" setting turned on by DEFAULT.

This one has been present for a lot of users for a LONG time. 6 months. Without any fix for this on the horizon, it's likely to cause a lot of owners to be forced to return their players before the warranty expires.

I second these requests as well. Both things happening quite often, the audio bug is really annoying.

August 08, 2010, 04:59:03 AM
Reply #28

alterego

I second these requests as well. Both things happening quite often, the audio bug is really annoying.

thirded!

August 10, 2010, 09:34:49 AM
Reply #29

Blanch

I also some issues, apart from 12-bit HDMI mot working.

Playback of photos is quite rubbish, the displayed images on the screen are extremely pixelated (very low res) compare to the Sony telly that it is attached to, that has a native DLNA function that can pull the pictures rfom the Win 7 machie across the network and display the pictures in all their HD glory as they should.

When I noticed this i decided to have a look at a DVD and the image quality is the same low res, it is pretty easy to tell with a Pixar movie, the edges become quite pixelated just like the photos are.

I am certain that in athe previous release that neither was an issue. The TV even reports that the signal coming from the WDTV is 1080p but even the menus are not as clear as what I remember.

And before anyone asks the audio/video is set to 1080p/60hz (8-bit or 12-bit HMI colour makes no difference as does AUTO)

I am happy now we have DVD menus and it does everything it says it does on the box but extremely disappointed at the picture as I see this as a massive backward step, I am now tossing up going back a firmware revision to get the quality but then lose the DVD menus.

It's a hard call.