Author Topic: .trp files  (Read 6517 times)

July 03, 2010, 01:06:47 PM
Read 6517 times

keasden

Having just bought my WDTV Live, I'm really disappointed to find that the ".trp support" advertised in recent software updates seems to be so limited.

I invested in the player because I want to be able to detach a hard drive from my satellite receiver in one room and play the contents on the TV in another. However, I've hit two major problems:

1. HD recordings (1080i) play very choppily and are not watchable with any comfort.
2. SD recordings appear to play fine, except that only the first file within the trp folder is recognised. While my satellite receiver plays the entire recording seamlessly, the WDTV stops at the end of the first file ... and I have no way of playing the rest.

Elsewhere in these forums there's a reference to a short pause between the files - fine, that's no problem. But my machine handles this as the end of the recording.

Has anyone else encountered this (major) problem? If there's no solution, then I'm afraid the unit will be going back to Amazon, with an extremely bad review ...

July 03, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Instead of pressing play on the file, press play on the folder.  This way the WDTV will play all the files inside the folder.  I had a similar problem when I first got my WDTV.  Now I have simply disconnected my SV 8000 HD (I assume that is what you have since it records in TRP format).  I have parked the SV in the closet and only use my WDTV. 

Anyway, try what I said.  Press play on the folder instead of the file.

Come to think of it, I think the naming convention for the SonicView files is all wrong.  The first one has a TRP extension but the others have a .000, .001 etc.  Those won't play.  Only the TRP are supported, not the .001 etc...

I joined mine and renamed them TS and they all worked perfectly in the WDTV but no longer work in the SV.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:42:42 PM by RavRob »
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

July 04, 2010, 01:14:22 AM
Reply #2

keasden

Thanks very much for this.

It makes sense to click the full folder - but I don't seem to be able to do it.

If I have the Library feature switched on, the 'Folders' option simply brings up the name of the movie (classified as a folder), and when I select this I reach the first file, classified as .trp. There's even a clear indication given that this is file 1/1 - so the WDTV is obviously not seeing the associated .001, .002, etc, files in the same folder. I've tried using the 'next' button on the remote, which is supposed to move to the next file in the same folder, but all this does is replay the first file.

With the Library feature switched off, I can only select the same of the movie and go down exactly the same route.

I agree: the naming of the files within the folder is bizarre. On my PC I can play the initial .trp file with GOM or KMP Player; but I need to use 'open with ...' to get the .001s to play. Nevertheless, they do play. On the WDTV I can't even get to see them.

It's beginning to look as though I'm going to have to re-name the .001s and .002s as .trp and number them in some way to keep them in sequence. At best the WDTV unit may move automatically from first to last; second-best would be if the 'next' button worked; but I'm actually beginning to lose faith in the whole idea, as the aim was just to be able to move the HDD from receiver to WDTV, without any further effort.

July 04, 2010, 02:23:58 AM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

When I say click, I mean press the play button when on the folder.  But I am afraid there is no way to select the *.001 file etc...

If you are not going to watch those on your SV anymore and only use the WDTV to watch those recorded movies, use Merge.bat to join all the files in your folder as one huge TRP.  Here is a link to Merge.bat
http://www.mediafire.com/?in5jmzit1nx
This will make your life easy.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 04, 2010, 05:43:07 AM
Reply #4

keasden

Yes, I've tried both: clicking on 'enter' takes me to the first .trp file; clicking on 'play' bypasses this and just plays ... the first .trp file. All roads lead to the same place.

I've tried re-naming as (title)1.trp and (title)2.trp. This makes both visible on the WDTV screen, so that's a big step forward; but there's no automatic playback of 2.

So after groaning at the prospect of processing each recording, I downloaded Merge.bat and in fact it's really very fast - a couple of minutes per recording. So thanks very much for that tip ... it looks as though it's the only way forward, at least until firmware is released that enables the WDTV to see what we can see.

July 04, 2010, 02:14:34 PM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Glad this Merge.bat is useful to you.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 05, 2010, 12:47:29 AM
Reply #6

keasden

Just one issue: Merge.bat sometimes joins the .trp files up in the wrong sequence - i.e. .001 before .000. I've tried clicking on the folder and on the .000 file, but it makes no difference. Do you know if there's any way of correcting this? That apart I'm most impressed with its performance - and above all speed ...

July 05, 2010, 02:30:05 AM
Reply #7

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Sorry but I can't help you there.  I have joined over 150 *.TRP movies that had multiple parts but that was before xmas and to tell the truth, I don't remember any having that issue.  I have no more movies left that need joined.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 05, 2010, 03:01:13 AM
Reply #8

kebien

Sonicview 8000hd records in a .trp file that has only video and audio defined,so if you try to change it to .TS by renaming,it won't work,because it lacks PMT definition (pid),the WDTV live wouldn't know how to play it since PMT is missing.
In the other hand,I think SV8000HD can play a correct TS file,I remember I have tried.

One suggestion to rename the .trp files is to rename the files in the folder like 1(name of the file).trp,2(name of the file).trp,3(name of the file).trp and so on,in this case,the files will show up in order in the folder,and pressing play will sequence them.
Using  (name of the file)1.trp,(name of the file)2.trp,(name of the file)3.trp should also work ok
In the other hand,this .trp files are very similar to mpeg layout,you can also try renaming all files to .mpg and try,since SV8000HD can play mpeg files fine.

As SV8000HD needs a FAT32 formated hard drive,it disallow you to join .trp files that will end up being larger than 4 gb.

July 05, 2010, 04:22:29 AM
Reply #9

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Renaming the *.TRP to *.TS will work.  I still have a bunch of movies recorded on my SV that I am playing on my WDTV.  However you are right about the HD movies that are TRP format.  They can be as much as 12 gig and the FAT32 format of the HDD will not handle those.  Not sure about renaming each file to file1.trp, file2.trp etc...  Keasdn tried this already.

I've tried re-naming as (title)1.trp and (title)2.trp. This makes both visible on the WDTV screen, so that's a big step forward; but there's no automatic playback of 2.

Another way of doing this would be to convert the files to AVI but this will be time consuming.  Or do as I did.  Move your movies elsewhere, format your drive to NTSF and put the movies back on once they are merged using "Merge.Bat" and renamed to TS format.

BTW, both TS and TRP are only container for mpeg and can be renamed with no problems what so ever.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 05, 2010, 04:03:54 PM
Reply #10

kebien

If for conversion,you can just use TSremux and make a real TS file off the trp file.

But you are wrong,TS and TRP cannot be just renaming extension at will.
The decoder expect to read the pids into this containers,and if you rename it to something different,the decoder would not know how to set it up.
For TS files,PMT pid tells the decoder where the pids are,for example,and what type of service is ,like mpeg 2 or h264.
TRP looks more like an mpeg file,where only video and audio pid are present,but uis packetized the same way as a TS.
But TRP files have associated files like *.idx and *.meta that holds the information about the file,like length and type and sequence (001,002,003)
A trp file alone have no information about the length and type.
You check the folder in the sv8000 and you will see those files.
The fact the sv8000 does understand a TS file also,doesn't make it a standard,is only a special way it has to handle the ts files.

July 05, 2010, 06:03:18 PM
Reply #11

RavRob

• DeSpammer

But you are wrong,TS and TRP cannot be just renaming extension at will.

Sorry but I know what I did....renaming TRP to TS did work.  I still have over 140 of those movies that were recorded on my SV 8000 as TRP.  Some I merged as I suggested to keasden then renamed them to TS while others were single TRP that I renamed to TS.  I did that because I couldn't make the TRP play on the original firmware I had when I purchased the WDTV Live.

But TRP files have associated files like *.idx and *.meta that holds the information about the file,like length and type and sequence (001,002,003)
These are only used by your SV 8000.  If you remove them the SV will not recognize them but any other program that plays TRP will play them even without the *.IDX or *.meta
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:13:49 AM by RavRob »
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 07, 2010, 12:00:43 PM
Reply #12

keasden

I won't enter the .trp/.ts debate because the WDTV Live plays the merged .trp files perfectly, and the processing is very fast, so I've no reason to re-name them.

But I've finally solved the problem of Merge.bat joining up split files in the wrong sequence ... and it wasn't just some of them - it was all of them! I was using Merge.bat with the files still on the external HDD, but as soon as I moved the source video files (without the associated .idx and .ifo files) onto the desktop of my PC, before joining them up, the sequencing corrected itself. I've now processed about 30 movies and all are perfect. Absolutely no idea why the location of the files should make a difference, and the copying adds another (albeit quick) conversion stage, but it works.

So thanks again for the pointer to Merge.bat. As a matter of interest, I've tried out a number of other free utilities from the web, while trying to solve the sequencing problem, but Merge.bat is faster and simpler than any other I've come across.

July 07, 2010, 06:49:43 PM
Reply #13

RavRob

• DeSpammer

You also have the power right now to settle that TS/TRP debate.  By renaming just one file to TS and playing it.

Or not LOL

Glad it worked for you bro. 
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

July 08, 2010, 12:31:26 AM
Reply #14

keasden

Gauntlet accepted ...

I renamed three .trp files to .ts and all played flawlessly on the WDTV Live - likewise on my PC, via GOM- & KM-Player and even Media Player Classic (which won't play .trp). Seems to be a thumbs-up for RavRob, but then with 140 under your belt how could it not be?