Author Topic: Help! I'm A Frustrated Noob  (Read 1527 times)

June 30, 2010, 06:00:09 AM
Read 1527 times

capndad

And being a frustrated noob >:( has happened because over the past 3 weeks I've done more reading on the topic of DVD rips and encoding than I thought was possible. So I hope you can forgive me if the answer to my question is straight forward. I just haven't found it yet.

I had this idea that I could put my DVD's onto the WDTV Live, and have movie icons (about 400) displayed for me to click on and statr the movie. I'm now at the point where I've successfully done it once, but only in stereo and without menus. Disk space isn't a problem, and so I want the whole package - quality movie, menus, and original sound, whether it be 5.1, DTS, or Stereo. But I haven't found a tool yet that does all of this. Or maybe I just haven't read enough about the processes involved?

Some direction would really be appreciated.
 :)
Cheers

June 30, 2010, 07:30:58 AM
Reply #1

NullStmt

Greetings capndad!

First, I commend you on actually reading the forums and trying to figure it out yourself.  I wish more beginners on here would do that.  The short answer to your question is that there is no single tool that will do everything (I REALLY wish there was).  It sounds like you've found out how to do each of the individual steps involved though and that is the hardest part.  You'll just have to repeat each step for every DVD.  You should be able to get the original sound, so keep reading through the audio forum since there is a lot of info there about DTS passthrough, configuration etc.
  It has taken me ages to do the 250+ movies in my collection, but the end result is (in my opinion) awesome.  I think that the newest Live Plus machine may do menus, but all of the other machines won't do them in any fashion and it has been a major source of complaints.

Cheers

June 30, 2010, 11:24:03 AM
Reply #2

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD

only the newest wdtv live beta firmware has dvd menu functionality built in, all other firmware versions will play movie and audio only

yes, it can take quite some time to do a large collection of dvd's, I've done 400 or 500 from my collection

for dvd's really all you need to do is rip the files off the disk, 2 best rippers/decryptors are dvdfab and anydvd, dvd version is free, wdtv live will play the files with no additional action needed, and if you use the beta or my suggestion wait till a stable release dvd menu's will be supported.

another program that great is dvdshrink, it only works on un-copywrite protected disc, but it also allows you to choose the output as .iso, which will leave you with 1 single file, it has functionality to choose what menu's you want and option to choose 100% quality (you're not forced to actually shrink your files) which was the main reason it way created

for thumbnail's use thumbgen, it has an automatic mode and will download thumbnails for you

KAD