Author Topic: Read-only file system  (Read 7444 times)

March 30, 2009, 12:58:05 AM
Read 7444 times

packer

Nice new forum  ;)

Ok, I've been using ext3-boot firmware for some time. 0.8.6 was quite stable, recently I updated to 0.8.7.2.

The problems I'm having concern read-only file system.
My initial configuration was WD Passport (FAT32) connected to ASUS WL500gP with both a NFS and Samba shares (xmounted on WDTV).
Now I have the WD Passport (still FAT32) connected to WDTV and another HDD (ext3) to ASUS WL500gP (again with both NFS and Samba shares).

Here's what happens:
- after booting of WDTV the WD Passport is mounted as ro
- I can unmount it and then mount as rw, but after browsing via Win XP and trying to copy anything it says the drive is read-only. "Mount" on WDTV indeed says that it's now ro again.
- If I do the same as above (unmount and mount as rw), I'm able to FTP WDTV and copy 1 file. After that it becomes ro again.
- Strangely the same happens to FAT32 partition on WL500gP - it mounts as rw, but after browsing the directory with Win XP it becomes ro automatically.
- EXT3 cifs share on ASUS works fine with Win XP (both read/write), but when mounted on WDTV it says it's read-only. That I can't understand.

So my conclusion is that FAT32 drives are not a good idea for linux. Still I'm not to happy about backing up 200GB of data and reformating WD Passport to ext2/ext3. And I haven't confirmed if ext2/ext3 drive connected via USB to WDTV will be finally rw.

Anyways, another problem is that WDTV is unable to write on cifs or nfs mounted network shares. I was trying to use slimrat to download some files to...

Any ideas?

March 30, 2009, 03:41:58 AM
Reply #1

3dxr

• Global Moderator

primary use well supported fs under linux

EXT2/EXT3/FAT/VFAT/FAT32 HFS.................long long other fs.......then NTFS

try use fs-driver.org and you will have access under WDTV and under Windows OS
using EXT2/3 providing full posix fearures like native permission and symblinks or named pipes.
some applications required it for $IPC (torrent clients for example)

btw slimrat is able write to other location downloaded files you should try change output dir
on local writable mount point.

March 30, 2009, 04:55:05 AM
Reply #2

packer

I believe that reformating to ext2/3 should solve the problem, yet I was thinking maybe there's another option.
I have the fs-driver installed; I just don't like the idea of backing up 200GB  :(

And why is cifs ext3 share on a network drive read-only on WDTV, but read/write on Windows?

Speaking of slimrat - I don't have a local writable mount point on my WDTV, as my FAT32 WD passport mounts as "ro"  :)

March 30, 2009, 06:18:33 AM
Reply #3

3dxr

• Global Moderator

• use putty and telnet to WDTV box
  • use "mount /dev/sdX /mountpoint -o remount,rw
  • check /etc/fstab if there ro option
  • unmount your drive and do fsck /dev/hdd_device if are integrity issues fs is mounted to ro-mode