Author Topic: Need your feed-back on my own WDTV GUI ...  (Read 51916 times)

May 05, 2009, 01:26:23 PM
Read 51916 times

AirSeb

Hello Guys,
look at the attachment snapshot and get back to me to tell me if you are interested in this type of GUI improvment.
@+
AirSeb

May 05, 2009, 01:33:30 PM
Reply #1

rouroy

hi AirSeb,

yes WE ARE INTERESTED in that kind of GUI !!! very nice job

is it done by an app.bin or modification via xml files ....

please, do a release

May 05, 2009, 01:35:25 PM
Reply #2

AirSeb

done through customization of xml files with the Zorander Fuse php, he gave me two months ago.
I will try to give you more explanation if people are interested in this type og GUI.
AirSeb

May 05, 2009, 01:37:12 PM
Reply #3

AirSeb

just another snapshot with the Movie thumb screen.
AirSeb

May 05, 2009, 01:54:16 PM
Reply #4

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

May 05, 2009, 02:04:16 PM
Reply #5

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Wow, impressive! Excellent work. Very curious how you've manage to do this.

May 05, 2009, 03:22:58 PM
Reply #6

pcdthebum1

These look pretty good. I would love to get my hands on to these and see how you did some of them and try them on my system!. Can't wait for you to release your xml files

How did you make it show the synopsis and other information about the movies? i have been very interested in this.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:43:29 PM by pcdthebum1 »

May 05, 2009, 03:44:34 PM
Reply #7

dcrutgers

Very interested, will you be posting the custom files or app.bin?

May 05, 2009, 10:51:18 PM
Reply #8

Chip

This looks fantastic!

Any chance the movie info files are XBMC format compatible?

May 05, 2009, 11:27:11 PM
Reply #9

Hades666

Good work!

┐these snapshots are real WDTV menus or just concept images?
┐these new GUI is for use in standalone TV or it┤s a webserver to use with a computer?
┐how do you get the movie information and diferente poster images? ┐maybe .txt?

May 06, 2009, 12:44:19 AM
Reply #10

cionci

get back to me to tell me if you are interested in this type of GUI improvment.
Obviously yes  :o Cool  :o

Tell me more about this php fuse...I think it's a file system that replies to the requests using a PHP background script. So XML interface files can be generated at runtime...

May 06, 2009, 12:58:45 AM
Reply #11

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Great stuff, if it's PHP based I'm happy to help out if you like.

May 06, 2009, 01:06:39 AM
Reply #12

realtebo

yes yes and more yes, we ALL are interested in this. I'm a PHP programmer... if you need, I can help u in  developing
weecommand.app.bin
Browse and add IRC download via OSD
Prototype 3
Actually stopped

May 06, 2009, 03:24:22 AM
Reply #13

AirSeb

Hello guys,
So with the first feed-back I have received, I think most of you are interested to get a better GUI than the official wdtv.
Just some information concerning my GUI.
I am a Dvico TVIX user since two years, and I was vary happy with this box except its price. So the default GUI on Tvix box is a little better than the wdtv one, but limited. But I manage this type of GUI with jpg background that I made with photoshop.
3 months ago, I bought a wdtv box, and Think it'a very good TV box (except its very poor GUI, and the non DTS support and the most important for me no network interface).
When Zorander has deliverer its firmware with the possibility to get network interface, it was a great job, because I could begin to play with the box.
The way I and my friends are using Tvix and WDTV boxes in my home is we have a central point of storage (one linux server with huge capacity in RAID or for some of my friends dedicated NAS system (NetApp ...) and Linux server to manage a lot of applications.
This architecture allow us to store every files in a central point ans stream everything at home on several TVs or PCs.

Concerning my GUI, I was tired to manage photoshop jpg for the Tvix boxes, so I have developped something that allow me to have this 'nice' GUI for my wdtv box.
so concerning my system :
1) I've got a linux server that handle Raid huge storage on my home LAN (storing audio, photo and HD video).
2) on this Linuc server, I have several applications , but for this GUI, I have just created a small database to manage movies, categories, favorites ...and obviously NFS sharing for the video streaming.
3) as all my movies are stored in an unique directory with one directory for each Movie, I just managed several NFS sharing, one for thix box, and one for the wdtv box (because the two boxes doesn't handle in the same way). (if you have several wdtv boxes with different settings for the number on thumbs you want to have per page , you will have a dedicated NFs sharing for each wdtv box).everything is managed in the DB and is generated automatically.
4) As I don't want to change the storage of the unique HD movie directory, for the Tvix and wdtv boxes , they just have access to a NFS sharing directory tree with only symbolic link (for Tvix) or HW link for (wdtv) to link for example all the movies of the Action Category to the right Movies in the global Folder. same thing when you want to create a favorite with a list of movie.
RQ : about this, wdtv support symbolic link correcly on the OS level (not pb for ex with a ls or cat command), but the dmaosd doesn't support it (symbolic link on a file seems to be ok, if your link is only making a redirection to a sub or upfolder file, but if you want to redirect to a complete another path , the dmaosd open the link itself rather following it, concerning the symbolic link to a directory, it doesn't support it at all, it opens the link thinking having a video in the link itself).
5) I want to make a system to allow me to prepare my Movie presentation in a quick and efficient way :
- so I'm using one of the among program that allow you to manage a video media library (this one connects to imdb.com db to retrieve all the information). Then in the tool, I have just defined my own export of the field I need for the GUI.
for resuming, launch this tool, add my movie name to it, it retrieve automatically all the info, and I generated an CSV export file that contains the info you have seen int he snapshot (2minutes).
6) then this file is saved in each Movie directory to allow my code, to build dynamically in real time the page.
so for a movie (except the work for the MKV audio and video muxing job), the GUI is very quick to handle (one thumb to download for the thumb browing screen, the CSV file to get for all the info of the Movie screen presentation, and one or two poster and 4 small images for the Movie details pages) so about 5 minutes of work .. and that's it

I have tried to developp my script with the maximum of personalization in everything :
GUI_SETUP : that allow you to define the workspace of your screen, the number of thumbs you want per page, etc ....

The script on the DB side, are using these setup info to make the 'logical NFS sharing' tree to take into account the number of thumbs per page etc ....

as you can see, I'm using a dedicated storage with LAN and PC and Tvix and wdtv boxes in my own.

If most of you, have just a standalone wdtv boxes with usb drives on a standalone TV, I think I could adapt my script in using sqlite3 DB that is shipping by default on the WDTV box to replace my mysql linux DB. and there will be some adjustments to make to make it running on standalone USB drives.

It is interested for me that you just finish your reply with the type of architecture you have in your home :
- like me or my friends with dedicated Storage System (Linux server or NAS dedicated + Linux server).
- and simply a wdtv box with USB drives.

just a quick one, I have tried sevral way to crack the dmaosd to get the way of retrieving some information of this binary (log generated by the dmaosd output, reading stack memory of the binary), and I have finished to crack the infrared port to collect all the actions you do on the remote controller to be able to build this GUI navigation.

hope this information, could help you to know if you want to benefit of this type og GUI in your own home system.
@+

AirSeb

May 06, 2009, 03:38:29 AM
Reply #14

Hades666

Good Work!!!!

it┤s impressive how you get it!!!! congratulations...

My answer to your question is :  WDTV + STANDALONE USB DRIVE (no network)...

my vote it┤s to make your GUI working without network ;)

congratulations again...