Author Topic: "Cannot Access Network Share" using beta 1.03.22  (Read 8063 times)

June 14, 2010, 12:19:54 PM
Read 8063 times

bradmcfo

I have 2 Different WDTV Live Boxes Connecting to a network share on the Windows 7 Machine

Network shares will only connect with firmware 1.01.24. Otherwise when upgrading to newer versions of firmware (and most recently the beta version 1.03.22) the message "Network shares cannot be accessed" will be displayed. Each time I have had to roll the  WDTV's firmware back to 1.01.24 and the shares connect without issues.  The share is password protected using an administrator account.

I have followed previous suggestions on other posts to clear the auto-login information but it does not seem to matter. I have not been able to get this to work with any firmware after 1.01.24. When upgrading to newer versions I am still able to go to media servers (on the WDTV menu) and access my media in that way (being shared by windows media player).

Ideas?

June 14, 2010, 04:21:44 PM
Reply #1

Herschel

I agree. FW 1.01.24 was great with Network Shares. But the later one and now the Beta will give me intermittent access. Most often when I select Network Shares on the remote, I get no response. Then sometimes it works. I'm auto log-in. When it shows, it's great. But I can't tie down what causes the problem. Media Server access is stable. Any progress?

June 16, 2010, 02:39:28 PM
Reply #2

lturgeon

I am using the same release and not much has changed for me...here's my experience:
if I just share the files, all is well, and the box sees the shares on the network. If I try to stream files from a media server such as media player, I can no longer see the network shares. If I can see network shares, I most often get the message "no media found".  I haven't tried any third party servers for streaming media recently, but in older update versions, media streaming would not work. I would like to find a solution to this as I'd like to be able to use playlists to play my favorite music (this works when streaming media through the native Windows 7 media player).

For now I have turned off media streaming and enabled network shares by going to the folder with the files I want to share, right click, and in properties, under sharing, advance sharing, permissions, add a name such as Everyone, and give that group the permissions you want to.

Don't know if this will help much or not, but like I said, it's been my experience.

lturgeon

June 16, 2010, 03:13:14 PM
Reply #3

Herschel

The only things still bugging me is the Network Shares issue. I can't see why it sometimes starts but mostly no response when I select it. It was fine when I first used the Live on the first firmware. Since then no luck.

If anyone's made progress or isolated the cause, I'm dying to know.

June 16, 2010, 03:29:31 PM
Reply #4

lturgeon

I have gone into network and sharing center, and under the category for your home network, there is a section that talks about Homegroup...if you have one set up, there will be an option to leave it.  I left it.  Simple as that.  Now my network shares are there, every time I turn on the WD player, but can't stream media to the player with that configuration.

lturgeon

June 18, 2010, 07:51:18 AM
Reply #5

bradmcfo

Thanks Lturgeon,

Next week I will load the new firmware and give that a try. Currently I am a member of a homegroup but I don't use the media streaming feature anyways. (because it won't stream all the formats that network shares can.. mainly .mkv)

I will post back with the results. Cheers

June 19, 2010, 06:22:42 AM
Reply #6

lturgeon

Good luck and hope it works for you.  One thing I found when messing around was that I am able to use windows media play lists as well. I set it up so that it saves the playlist in the same directory as my music files are (put the lists into a directory called "playlists" (without the commas), so I can find them easier, and the WD player plays the lists without hesitatation.  I've only tried this with music, but I'm pretty sure it would work with photos as well.

As far as video files like movies, that's the only reason I bought the WD player....less muss and fuss because the machine works with any file I've bothered to throw at it without fail once the file sharing issue was cleared up.  I also started using PS3 media server and there is no issue with streaming media to my PS3 at the same time that I have a movie playing on the WD player, aside from the usual stalling with the PS3 (setup is not great to this one and never has been...it's wireless and at some point I have to upgrade my modems for higher bandwidth). Not a moment's hesitation over my wired connection to the WD player though.

LTurgeon

June 21, 2010, 04:45:14 PM
Reply #7

bradmcfo

After upgrading the firmware to the newest, leaving the homegroup and attempting to reconnect to the network share I am still getting.. "The network share cannot be accessed" Back to Square One!

June 23, 2010, 03:57:50 PM
Reply #8

bradmcfo

Anyone versed in Samba sharing or netbios?? I took packet captures of the network conversation where the WDTV box is trying to connect to the network share on my win 7 computer. Using firmware 1.01.24 the wdtv connects to the share successfully. The initial packet looks like this "NBNS  Name query NB BRAD-PC<1d>" Using Firmware 1.02.21 where the WDTV displays "network share cannot be accessed" the packet captured where the WDTV is querying for the name of my PC it passes part of the password with the name.  "NBNS Name query NB 87TM@BRAD-PC<1d>".

Anyone? Does anyone use win 7 and network shares succesfully with firmware after 1.01.24?

June 25, 2010, 01:00:35 PM
Reply #9

wangdu

I can see network share but not media servers.. i was able to see Play on / Tversity but not any more..still figuring out what might be issue..if no luck then i will revert back to prev version,

June 28, 2010, 03:34:25 PM
Reply #10

bradmcfo

Working with 1.03.22!! The solution is to allow Read access to "everyone" on your share and then on the WDTV live logon using "anonymous" and no password. My own administrator account will not work even when added under permissions for the share. Below is from western digital which led me to this solution.

Here is the solution from Western Digital.

Go to control panel and then network and sharing center. Ensure that your network is set to a home network.
Click on change advanced sharing settings
Turn on Network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folder
Turn off media sharing
Turn on use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections
Turn off password protected sharing
Select “use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computer”

You cannot be on the home group. If you are, please leave the home group

To properly share a folder. It is never recommended to share the root of the drive. Please only share the folders that you want to share.

Right click on the folder you want to share and select properties
Click on the security tab and click on advanced
Then click on change permissions.
In the advanced security setting for “name of folder”
Uncheck the box that says, “Include inheritable permissions form this object’s parent
You will get a warring dialog pop up, please choose remove
A new window will open. Click on add
Type everyone then check names, when the permissions window opens, you can allow full access
Click on add and type
Administrator and follow the procedures above
Click on add and type
Your log in name for windows

Once completed, click on the sharing tab of the properties window and click on advanced sharing. Click on the box that says share this folder and click on apply.
You can click on permissions and make sure that “everyone” is listed. This is the only one that does need to be listed
Click on ok and you can close all windows
Power cycle your WDTV Live unit. Once is comes back up navigate to videos, network shares, and your computer should appear. Click on your computer and you should be prompted for a user name and password. You can leave this as anonymous and no password and just arrow to OK. Your share should now be visible and accessible.

July 04, 2010, 10:14:34 AM
Reply #11

kenkike

July 07, 2010, 06:26:45 PM
Reply #12

bradmcfo

Thanks, for now I will use it with anonymous, that way I don't have to stare at the wdtv live account each time I start up.

Cheers

July 10, 2010, 12:52:24 PM
Reply #13

wangdu

I can see network shares but not tversity after upgrade to beta 1.03.22..  if i reset it shows up first time then again nothing comes up.. i rolled back the upgrade but still same issue..

July 12, 2010, 07:06:54 PM
Reply #14

ovsims

I can see network shares but not tversity after upgrade to beta 1.03.22..  if i reset it shows up first time then again nothing comes up.. i rolled back the upgrade but still same issue..

if your in Win 7 try this: click win explorer, click network look for your device, right click and make sure you have media streaming turned on for your wdtv. if not click enable media streaming.