Author Topic: WD TV Live Plus for a firmware update!?!?!  (Read 31812 times)

June 11, 2010, 07:49:30 PM
Reply #90

Whoheart

@Whoheart, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with more ripped DVD's, in the meantime, can anyone confirm that DVD Navigation will work with only the .IFO file, without the .VOB file present? I'm chomping at the bit, and would like to order one of these, if it works. TIA

Although I have to say, I don't think i've seen a DVD without a VIDEO_TS.VOB file - don't know if any my DVD's are missing one. But i'll check out a few :)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

June 12, 2010, 06:34:52 AM
Reply #91

Whoheart

Ok, I have checked several of my DVD's and they all have a VIDEO_TS.VOB (i was trying to see if i had one which did not have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file, but that failed).

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

June 12, 2010, 10:00:10 PM
Reply #92

kringles

@tpx and Whoheart,
Have checked and all my DVD files have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file. So I picked one movie and deleted the VIDEO_TS.VOB file and its backup, the VIDEO_TS.BUP file. The WDTV Live played the DVD with menu navigation when selecting any of the .VOB files that are displayed when the VIDEO_TS folder is opened. Hope this info helps.
regards

June 14, 2010, 05:16:37 PM
Reply #93

tpx

@kringles, thanks for checking that out, guess I'm going to buy me one now, :-)

June 14, 2010, 06:13:04 PM
Reply #94

schnoid

I'm waiting for July 4 weekend to decide what I'm going to recommend to friends and family. I like the WDTV Live for what it does, but if the Popbox is going to have an awesome interface + search + imdb + equivalent features then I'm definitely going to recommend that. I do appreciate that WD is working on new features, but still the interface is lacking. At least we know Boxee box is out of the race until November.

June 15, 2010, 09:10:55 AM
Reply #95

Steve V

Unreal!!

Of course WD would come out with a new firmware NOW when they release the new product. It's a distraction from the simple fact that the WD TV Live Plus is nothing more than a repackaged product. Oh and sorry this is going to be a LONG rant.   ;)

I've read and fully understand the argument about the difference in the chips to support Netflix. I will take and accept at face value that the chip in the LIVE PLUS is different than the chip in the LIVE.  However, this still leaves a very valid argument.  Either:
1) WD had no foresight in thinking the live would ever have Netflix on the device less than a year ago when the device came out. They claim stupidity?
or
2) WD knew that choosing the chip they did for the LIVE would not support Netflix and the need for a NEW product would force users into upgrading.  Oh, the users are stupid?

Either of the 2 choices above are completely unacceptable. The hardware change from the LIVE to the new (I use the term very loosely) LIVE PLUS are a joke.  This is nothing more than a repackaged product that they have been selling.

WD also seems to fail in understanding it's customer base for their products.  Just about everyone on these forums and the people that have purchased and LOVE the WDTV LIVE are not your average consumer.  I mean no offense to anyone and I apologize for being presumptuous but the WDTV users have typically slightly above (to extremely advanced)  computer literacy skills. We are creating ISO's from DVD's, ripping BD's. Creating home networks for media sharing. Anyway, my point is, saying 'Oh, it's a different chip' just doesn't fly with most of your customers, Mr. WD!

WD also fails in realizing that their product is SUPPOSED to be an inexpensive solution to using a PC (or similar) as a media player. I could very well spend about $800 and make a small form PC that does all that the WDTV Live Plus can do plus a WHOLE lot more.  That's not that point.  I want a little box that cost about $100-$150 and does what I need it to do.  BUT if I buy the WDTV.... Oh wait.. Now it's the WDTV mini... Scratch that, The WDTV LIVE....  Ooppss.. I mean the WDTV LIVE PLUS..   If I (the consumer) wanted the features of the WDTV Live Plus but had to inch my way up... how much would I have spent?

Dear WD - Sorry guys, you're not Apple. We're not dumb.  You can't come out with the same product, call it something else, give us a very few new features, and expect us to say you're awesome for it!  Know who we are!!  Yes, we are demanding but extremely loyal.  We wont going running at the next shinny product just because it's shinny.  We want real features and not to be jerked around.  Most of all, we want to be HEARD!!!  Everyone is asking you for what we want.  WTF? How much easier can it get for you?  You don't even need a R&D department for crying out loud!  Improve what you've done SO well, listen to our feedback, respond, and we will buy your S**T.. it's pretty much that easy.  Think about if a WD representative came on this forum months ago and said "We've been working with Netflix but in order to have Netflix on a WDTV Live, a different chip is required."   

Oh, that reminds me... Seems the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ now has Netflix on it too.  Odd, they didn't need a new chip.  Wait, did Seagate out-think WD?  Oh, that's funny!!
____
Steve V
WDTV Live Owner

June 15, 2010, 02:07:26 PM
Reply #96

wanders

Hmmm, I've reviewed the data sheets on the Sigma website and I'd place a sizable bet that the only difference between the Sigma SMP8655 and SMP8654 is simply the low-level DRM μcode that is downloaded into the security CPU. We used to call this an "IOP" part (Ink On Plastic, indicating that the difference between the two devices is merely how it is marked on the outside.) Anyone know where the DRM μcode is in the WDTV Live [plus] image?

June 15, 2010, 02:32:57 PM
Reply #97

Whoheart

Sounds like something you should ask the angry nerds over at http://forum.wdlxtv.com/ about.

June 15, 2010, 06:47:41 PM
Reply #98

vice86

wow, kinda of a dick move from WD. I'm already not impressed with the box's GUI and problems with playback of .mkv/.iso personal backups...had no problems on the Seagate media streamer but that has an even worse GUI.

Popbox keeps getting pushed back, now July 5th week and Boxee ain't due out till November...so I'm stuck with WDTV till then..unless I spring for a new HDTV, setup an HTPC and run boxee off my computer.

June 15, 2010, 10:36:51 PM
Reply #99

schnoid

yea, popbox is looking the most promising to me if they actually make this expected release date. I'm tempted to preorder, but I'm a little annoyed by their responsiveness thus far.

June 16, 2010, 11:39:57 AM
Reply #100

vice86

yea, popbox is looking the most promising to me if they actually make this expected release date. I'm tempted to preorder, but I'm a little annoyed by their responsiveness thus far.

I wish they'd release it to brick & mortar stores right away though too....supposedly only Amazon at first. I'd rather buy from Best Buy and be able to return it easily if I don't like it or doesn't live up to expectations.

June 16, 2010, 05:32:37 PM
Reply #101

schnoid

i agree. It'd be really nice to try it out and see how it compares to my WD TV Live. I assume it'll be better in almost every way, but I would like to know how well it handles MKV x264 1080p files.