Author Topic: WD TV Live Plus for a firmware update!?!?!  (Read 31839 times)

June 09, 2010, 07:17:37 AM
Read 31839 times

schnoid

Is WD insane or what!?! They want people to spend $150 for a freakin firmware update!? As far as I can tell, the "plus" is the exact same box with a firmware update that supports netflix and dvd menus. What is wrong with these people!? We're sitting here patiently waiting for any kind of updates to come around and they go and re-release the same box with software changes. WD has officially turned me off to their products. I'm definitely not going to support them anymore. No WD hard drives, no more set top boxes, no more recommending them to friends/family. This is just idiotic and I hope WD gets this message. I was one of their biggest supporters and got at least 10 people to buy a WD TV Live, but I'm going to have them all switch over to something else soon.

June 09, 2010, 07:29:23 AM
Reply #1

dpphotos

I too, am disgusted by this and have just submitted a ticket to WD Support:

"Am I to understand that if I want the Netflix and DVD Menu features then I would have to buy a WDTV Live Plus? I've owned my WDTV Live for a few months and would have expected these new features to be made available via a firmware update, instead of being expected to buy what appears to be an identical hardware box with different firmware. How about some loyalty to your customers that have stayed with you despite all the errors (including a firmware update that bricked the box) instead of trying to gouge them for more money. Most disappointing. Hoping to be corrected, but sincerely doubting I will."

I don't think it will do any good, but regardless, they should know how we feel!

June 09, 2010, 07:33:23 AM
Reply #2

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
I don't care about Netflix and DVD menus but,if access to these features won't be available for the Live, I agree with you, it's a pity !

In Europe, with the Live, we can't access Pandora, so buying a new box with only this "plus" would be a big scam !!

It's really the era of disposable, and frankly I do not approve at all, especially when it comes to saving resources.

In any case, even if these boxes are handy for certain aspects, next time I will buy a HTPC, no more futile spending...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:55:14 AM by lilibabe »
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

June 09, 2010, 07:40:40 AM
Reply #3

SharpBarb

WD has stated that they could not support Netflix without additional hardware. So they may have added an extra chip to DRM or something. It might be slightly more than just a firmware update. This is lame.

June 09, 2010, 07:41:05 AM
Reply #4

schnoid

Thanks for doing that and the recommendation. I'm probably going to follow suit later today. WD is really shooting themselves in the foot here. The truth is most people won't notice that the box says "PLUS" and specifically buy it because of that. In the end they're just going to piss off their most loyal customers... all the people that get their friends and family to buy tech hardware that they would regularly have no clue about. All this will do is prevent loyal customers from buying WD products in the future. From me alone, they probably lost out on the sales of 1000's of dollars worth of hard drives, the cost of WD TV upgrades in the future, and hardware for at least 10 friends and family that ask me for tech advice. This may be peanuts for such a large company, but when you consider the number of current WD TV Live customers that will be pissed off about this, I expect this stupid decision to cost millions for the company.

June 09, 2010, 07:41:43 AM
Reply #5

Headcase_Fargone

Then they need to offer a step-up program for those of us that purchased the Live less than eight months ago.

June 09, 2010, 07:43:40 AM
Reply #6

backlund

The official WD forums are lit up with upset people as well, so it's not just this forum.  There are of course a few morons on those boards trying to support them on this, but it seems like most of the community feels like they were kicked to the curb.

June 09, 2010, 07:44:00 AM
Reply #7

schnoid

WD has stated that they could not support Netflix without additional hardware. So they may have added an extra chip to DRM or something. It might be slightly more than just a firmware update. This is lame.

That could be true, but honestly I don't care about Netflix... what pisses me off is that they were able to add features like DVD menus, but somehow couldn't add that to WD TV Live. Also the fact that they've actually put some time and effort into development and release of an ENTIRELY new product, and can't release ONE decent firmware update for their current hardware thats less than a YEAR old!!!

June 09, 2010, 07:47:31 AM
Reply #8

backlund

That could be true, but honestly I don't care about Netflix... what pisses me off is that they were able to add features like DVD menus, but somehow couldn't add that to WD TV Live. Also the fact that they've actually put some time and effort into development and release of an ENTIRELY new product, and can't release ONE decent firmware update for their current hardware thats less than a YEAR old!!!

BS.  The 360, PS3, Wii and numerous other devices didn't need any magical chips.  This is corporate BS being spewed at us.  People are not this stupid.  For christ's sake, the Wii is one of the least technical pieces of hardware released in the last 5 years and no magical chip was needed.

June 09, 2010, 07:51:23 AM
Reply #9

dpphotos

Agreed, I don't believe any hardware is required for the DRM for a second. I can do Netflix via PlayOn and for me the DVD Menu support isn't that big of a deal... but dammit, it's the principal! Plus, presumably anything else new will be reserved for the Plus until they screw new Plus owners in a few months time.

June 09, 2010, 08:03:30 AM
Reply #10

schnoid

I doubt any current Live owners will upgrade anyways out of principle alone. If they do, they deserve to be screwed over.

June 09, 2010, 08:08:36 AM
Reply #11

backlund

I doubt any current Live owners will upgrade anyways out of principle alone. If they do, they deserve to be screwed over.

Exactly the point.  They are giving the finger to owners of a device that's not even a year old yet.  This is not how you treat your customers.

June 09, 2010, 08:18:40 AM
Reply #12

ScottWD

Additional hardware and hardware provisioning was required to support premium protected content.

-ScottWD

June 09, 2010, 08:23:48 AM
Reply #13

Feedhorn

This is called Living at the Bleeding Edge of Technology.

Bleed Me WD you damn Vampire!

Here's Something: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/western-digital-announces-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-with-netflix-stream/

Dave...

June 09, 2010, 08:27:24 AM
Reply #14

schnoid

Additional hardware and hardware provisioning was required to support premium protected content.

-ScottWD

I appreciate hearing back from you Scott. Was hoping to hear from you about a month ago when you said there was gonna be big updates to WD TV Live firmware, but I realize you don't have control over those things. Maybe you can provide some insight as to whether WD realizes how they're pissing off their entire customer base with this move. Like I said before, if netflix support truly does require some additional hardware, fine, I get that. What I can't figure out is how WD TV Live Pro got additional software features that do not require "additional hardware and hardware provisioning". That's blatantly a slap in the face of current users. Again, I don't specifically blame you and appreciate that you're our only line of communication to WD, but I hope you make it clear to your superiors that this was a VERY bad move.