Author Topic: WDTV Live and 2TB Elements Hard Drive  (Read 17518 times)

June 05, 2010, 09:18:15 PM
Read 17518 times

foxy57

My WDTV Live does not recognise my 2TB Elements Hard Drive.

Hi, Can anyone help me please?

I recenting bought a WD Elements 2TB hard drive which I connected to my Windows 7 PC. The PC recognised the drive and installed the drivers. I copied some music and video files onto the Elements. I then connected it to my WDTV Live but it did not recognise the Elements. It does recognise  an Elements 1TB though. Is there anything I have to do?

???

June 10, 2010, 12:27:04 PM
Reply #1

Boog

Hello Friend

I've got the same problem, i've got a new type elements 2tb usb mini and spent a day and a half transfering media, andd notheing the live doesn't see it.  i too have 3x old type 1tb elements and they ALL work fine..

If only WD would make a code to allow hubs to work as its a pita keep swapping plugs around..

I've e-maild WD so will post the results..

June 11, 2010, 03:24:44 AM
Reply #2

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Check this post out.  It could be helpful
Im currently using a 2TB elements drive with no problems.  I think I did not use it until I flashed the B-RAD firmware on there though.

Also I have a newer version of the drive, the one that comes with that virtual CD Drive software on it, since I knew the WDTV Live would not support this I found the program to remove it on the WD site, so I flashed to the newest firmware, and then removed the virtual CD software from the drive before I attempted to use it with the WDTV Live.

Also even still once in a while my drive is not detected, if that happens, leave the drive plugged in and do a hard reboot of the WDTV by pulling the power cable out of it and waiting about 30 seconds, then sit and wait for a while as it can take a long time to read all the stuff on a large drive. You should see the USB icon flashing after it boots up shortly if it detects the drive though.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

June 11, 2010, 08:22:31 AM
Reply #3

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD
I've also got the newer 2tb element that came with the virtual drive
works fine with custom firmware

orginally when I bought my life the official firmware would see 2 drives through a usb hub, but nothing more, and that was many many firmware's ago,

with the custom firmware I've now got 5 drives working via usb hub

KAD

June 11, 2010, 02:03:21 PM
Reply #4

Boog

Hello Friends

I've had a reply from WD and they need the serial no..  But the guy did say re-format the drive and try again..  I didn't as i just couldn't be bothered with it so i took it back and got my money back, and now saving for a 4tb sharespace.  I've contarted WD about directly connecting this to the live and yes it CAN be done, in case anyone was wondering??

Can anyone PLEASE e-mail me via a PT the custom softy i dont have rapishare and it wont let me download it free  :'(  :'( i really REALLY need to get hubs and ntfs drives working

many thanks.

June 11, 2010, 02:19:00 PM
Reply #5

GuyWD

There is an issue we found with some of the 2TB Elements drives where they were formatted incorrectly in the factory, resulting in a partition that was slightly (a few kilobytes) larger than the actual size of the drive. Windows is able to handle this error, but the drivers used in the WDTV Live won't mount a drive with this error. Reformatting the drive in Windows fixes it.

August 15, 2010, 11:45:50 AM
Reply #6

rps85

Hi all.
I bought a new WD Elements 2TB usb drive (WDBAAU0020HBK-01) to hold media for my WDTV-Live box. I spent ages moving media (ISO dvd rips, etc) from my PC HDD to the usb drive only to find that when I connected it directly to my WDTV-Live box the drive was not detected.
After reading this thread, I solved the connectivity problem without losing any of my transfered media by using windows own built-in disk management snap-in (as follows).
1. Connect the WD Elements usb drive to your PC.
2. Under the 'Administrative Tools' menu click on 'Computer Management'
3. Click on 'Disk Management' (down the left hand side)
4. From the list of disks in the bottom panel, right click on the primary partition of the WD usb drive then click on 'Shrink Volume'. Reduce the volume size by a small amount (I actually dropped mine down to 1.5 TB).
5. After the volume has been shrunk, right click the partition again and mark it as active. (I am not sure whether this was entirely necessary but figured it couldn't hurt)
Subsequently, the drive worked perfectly with my WDTV-Live box although it takes about 10 seconds to be detected.
Later I increased the volume size again using the same snap-in and all continued to work perfectly.
Hope this helps.