to usb wireless adapter
167 (23.1%)
to my TV only, but I want it ethernet connected
83 (11.5%)
to my TV only, but I want it wireless connected
141 (19.5%)
NOT, it's still in the box because I am reading all these topics first
14 (1.9%)
to both usb ethernet&cable and usb wireless (like rezmus)
22 (3%)
to an in-car-navi. See: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=621.msg7186#msg7186
2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 719

Author Topic: WDTV Wired/Wireless Poll ** Poll Update: already 700+ WDTVs really connected **  (Read 77815 times)

May 16, 2009, 05:47:57 AM
Reply #15

draadloos

Hi there. I noticed we got a handfull of wdtv's with both cable and wireless connection. I was wondering if you have real practical use for this double connection or you enjoy biconnectivity just because you can?
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

May 17, 2009, 04:32:22 AM
Reply #16

Pompey_Monkey

If (and I mean "if"!) I was a developer/coder for the WDTV, I'd very much like the capability to have my media library connected over the wired network for reliability, but also would enjoy the wireless network so I could sit in front of the telly with my laptop and be able to telnet into the player.

Maybe that's why a couple of people have both types of connection?

May 17, 2009, 05:40:30 AM
Reply #17

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

my wdtv is wired, my laptop is wireless, I chose wired as it is less of a resource stress and more reliable overall.
my router is wireless and wired of course.. it is nice to use the laptop to telnet or ftp in for a few seconds without going to my desktop, but both connections to the wdtv seems a little pointless to me..

seeing as it was really never designed to be networked, I think this is a big step and we all benefit from it! no more running back and forth with the thumb drive or hdd, just stream all the tv shows I watch, all my divx movies (100GB +) and any 720p movies on my pc, not to mention the apple trailers!

this little device has come an extremely long way in a very short time, I am just happy to benefit from it
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

May 20, 2009, 11:20:52 AM
Reply #18

ThePol

My WDTV is semi-wireless. I'm using a TrendNet USB-to-Ethernet adapter to connect to a Linksys router running DD-WRT. I've set up the router as a client to my main router. I haven't experienced the stuttering or dropped connection problems reported by other users on this forum. It's a great setup that works wonderful.

June 03, 2009, 03:27:39 AM
Reply #19

ean611

Not connected to my TV at all? (No option for this?) Just a USB 250GB drive and OEM in car navi.

June 04, 2009, 06:33:19 AM
Reply #20

draadloos

WHOOHAH!  ;D :D ;D :D ;D  Awesome carhack! Where did you hide our shiny little black box? Maybe you can start a topic on how to connect to OEM in-car-navi's. WTH, i will add your elaboration on wdtv-connectivity to the poll. Just click on it!
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

June 04, 2009, 12:41:51 PM
Reply #21

ean611

The hack goes further than when I posted originally.

The shiny little black box is hidden in the center console, out of site, out of mind. Now to fix the little issue of the infra-red control, I opened up the WD TV and de-soldered the IR receiver from the PCB, and attached wires to the three contacts instead.

Now the IR sensor pokes out of a little space near the 12V power port/ashtray, and nothing else is visible. I have two places to plug in USB, so anything can be hooked up on the fly.

For the in car Navi integration, Subaru uses Kenwood to OEM the navi system. The screen has a composite video input on the back that can be easily used by simply plugging something into it. To allow the screen to operate while the car has the parking brake disabled, you have to ground a signal to tell the screen the parking brake is always on. Pressing the info button reverts between "normal" info and video input. Hitting map goes back to the map.

I would have to research any other nav system, but many cars would be able to use a similar hack, as many in car navi's have video input, either for just the sake of having it, or for back up cameras. Many in car navigation systems are Kenwood based, and would be a similar hack to what I did.

EDIT: The only issue is that text is a bit small to read on the OEM firmware, and since the stock firmware works well enough otherwise (I don't need network features, as I use a 250GB USB disk), I just need the OEM firmware to support font sizing. When music is on there, it's a bit hard to read the title and track info, jumping the font size by 20-30% would most likely solve that. I saw a firmware that fixed the menu system that was based on 1.2.08, but the main reason I won't use that is it only fixes the initial menu, not the text when music is playing.

June 05, 2009, 06:46:16 AM
Reply #22

qryptiq

@ean611

haa, that's cool. i think the new 8-10" monitors need to be designed with HDMI connectivity - unless you know of any?

nice setup

June 08, 2009, 06:02:55 AM
Reply #23

Sumo

In a first step I connected my WD like this:

I use a NDAS HDD wich is connected to the switch of my wifi router. So the WD had access to the HDD via USB and I was able to feed the HDD via LAN or WLAN. But when I switched on the WD and the USB was powered on, the LAN Port was disabled and the access via PC or Notebook was cut off...

Then I installed a USB LAN Adapter to the WD. With wdlxtv and the ndas.app.bin I am able to access the HDD via LAN. From this point I was able to watch a movie with WD and copy files via Wlan over my wifi router to the NDAS at the same time. No pluggin or unpluggin cables any more and no Samba or NFS tricks needed...

;D

June 11, 2009, 09:42:57 AM
Reply #24

Pirm0kas

Hi! With my first post on these forums where anything amazing happens, I would like to thank WD and all the fellow homebrewers.

That being said, I just  have had my WDTV successfully connected semi-wireless. The setup consists of A-Link usb ethernet adapter connected to a switch port on D-Link DIR-300 running DD-Wrt as client bridge.

June 16, 2009, 06:59:14 AM
Reply #25

jabster

Just got my WDTV connected via wired ethernet! Woo. Hoo.

Is there a way to change my vote up on the poll? :-)

-john

July 03, 2009, 09:00:01 AM
Reply #26

Frosty_CRO

WDTV connected via WIFI Zydas 1211. ;D

Thanks to skypeman!
Too much free time on my hands...

July 09, 2009, 03:18:09 PM
Reply #27

matt314159

My WDTV is semi-wireless. I'm using a TrendNet USB-to-Ethernet adapter to connect to a Linksys router running DD-WRT. I've set up the router as a client to my main router. I haven't experienced the stuttering or dropped connection problems reported by other users on this forum. It's a great setup that works wonderful.
similar setup here.  

I picked up a Belkin gigabit USB dongle for $15 on fleabay, and a WRT54G v6 for like $25 that I loaded DD-WRT micro on and set it up as a wireless bridge to my main router (a WRT54GL running DD-WRT standard).  

Just got it all configured last night with very pleasing results.  So far ALL my xvid/divx stuff is perfect as well as any 720p MKV's that I have tried so far (about 10 different ones).  THe only time I get stuttering and notice that the throughput required is too much, is on anything 1080p.  But that's fine for me since I download everything 720p anyway.

It's pretty cool, I've got media shared in many different folders across four hard drives, and I can configure how it shows up in the WD box just by the name of the shares.   I've got the WDTV Web Server running on it so I can configure, set, and save shares at will, extremely easy.  

The other nice thing is that I have my Usenet download folder shared, and I have SABnzbD+ configured on my desktop with RSS feeds from newzbin to auto-download my favorite TV shows as soon as they are posted, so I have everything almost completely automated, I just wait until an hour or two after the show has aired, turn on the box and voila, it's there waiting for me to watch!

I'd have preferred wired ethernet connectivity for better reliabilty, but this seems to be working so well, I don't have any immediate plans to pull cable.  It's in a rather inconvenient spot in our house, so I'm not going to bother.

July 09, 2009, 03:27:17 PM
Reply #28

Frosty_CRO

I am impressed. Good job. Nice way to implement the WDTV.
Too much free time on my hands...

August 05, 2009, 12:44:45 AM
Reply #29

tacitus

So, with 180+ users wired up to the network, is there a list of USB network adapters (wired and wireless) that have been confirmed to work?  I found the list of chipsets that are supported, but it's not easy to figure out which makes and models of USB adapters use which chipset. Is there a llist somewhere?

If not, is it worth using this thread (or starting another one) for people to provide the name and model number of their working USB adapters?  It would be of great help to the rest of us folks just looking into getting wired up.

For example, has anyone used this Wii wired network adapter successfully yet?  (I have a spare router I can use as a wireless bridge.)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5926~r.99975858