to usb wireless adapter
167 (23.1%)
to my TV only, but I want it ethernet connected
83 (11.5%)
to my TV only, but I want it wireless connected
141 (19.5%)
NOT, it's still in the box because I am reading all these topics first
14 (1.9%)
to both usb ethernet&cable and usb wireless (like rezmus)
22 (3%)
to an in-car-navi. See: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=621.msg7186#msg7186
2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 719

Author Topic: WDTV Wired/Wireless Poll ** Poll Update: already 700+ WDTVs really connected **  (Read 77858 times)

May 04, 2009, 05:23:54 AM
Read 77858 times

draadloos

The wdtv community is getting bigger & bigger and you keep forgetting who-is-who.

I thought it is time for this poll so at least you get to know a little bit more about the people you are sharing this little black box with.

Thanks for spending time answering this poll. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:15:11 AM by draadloos »
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

May 04, 2009, 06:18:05 AM
Reply #1

rezmus

ok, but where is both? =)

May 04, 2009, 06:43:32 AM
Reply #2

draadloos

ok, but where is both? =)

:D designing a poll is always tricky.
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

May 06, 2009, 09:46:49 AM
Reply #3

draadloos

:o Already/Only 181 people on this forum got their wdtv connected  ???
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:54:35 AM by draadloos »

May 06, 2009, 11:04:45 AM
Reply #4

3dxr

• Global Moderator

cable becouse have lower performance impact to WDTV CPU
and cable is also providing option have WDTV connected wirelesly with wifi-routers (they have own CPU for wireless stack and provide strong encryption WDTV with WPA/WPA2 noway with HD content We should be real and dont wait all from WDTV HW

Topic is now sticky ;) I have also open POLL one is on wiki.wdtv.org and second (color schemes is other post)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:14:01 AM by 3dxr »

May 06, 2009, 11:53:39 AM
Reply #5

draadloos

cable becouse have lower performance impact to WDTV CPU
and cable is also providing option have WDTV connected wirelesly with wifi-routers (they have own CPU for wireless stack and provide strong encryption WDTV with WPA/WPA2 noway with HD content We should be real and dont wait all from WDTV HW

I agree that your setup is technically superior but think that a lot of people will find it easier to just plug in a cheap wlan adapter and be able to connect and start enjoying all the great things cooked up in this forum. As you can see my opinion is not at all backed up by the results of this poll  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:26:53 AM by draadloos »

May 08, 2009, 09:36:30 AM
Reply #6

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I also agree WDTV could have Wireless adapter in future but .....

a) if we want have network we should start with cable/wire adapters
those adapters will provide stability and also wireless capability for people who arent able use cable or dont want use cable.
also cable ETHNERNET chipsets dont need so many CPU power like WLAN CPU contorlled chipsets

b) each new feature is steal away part of internal FLASH memory into WDTV and impacting WDTV performance (current load of WDTV is higher then in first firmwares )
c) also we are waitting on network support too long
d) FullHD watching will be possible only in clean/non-noise zones and only over cable/high bitrate scenes/=confirmed by many users who have wireless connection
e) WIFI isnt secure. and WDTV 300mhz dont have power for WAP2 and wireless stack and also reading from SMB/CIFSfs and fill DECODING chip (each small embeded blackbox have some limits....)

from those arguments I am for first add official cable network support (IP settings, stable and optimized 2-3chipsets = more modules cost space in FLASH memory we need this space also for other code such like Filemanager etc.)

May 09, 2009, 08:22:45 AM
Reply #7

qryptiq

has anyone heard of a next generation WDTV in the works? i wonder.....

May 10, 2009, 05:53:26 AM
Reply #8

yakirdvir

May 11, 2009, 01:34:35 PM
Reply #9

mike2k8

I also agree WDTV could have Wireless adapter in future but .....

a) if we want have network we should start with cable/wire adapters
those adapters will provide stability and also wireless capability for people who arent able use cable or dont want use cable.
also cable ETHNERNET chipsets dont need so many CPU power like WLAN CPU contorlled chipsets

b) each new feature is steal away part of internal FLASH memory into WDTV and impacting WDTV performance (current load of WDTV is higher then in first firmwares )
c) also we are waitting on network support too long
d) FullHD watching will be possible only in clean/non-noise zones and only over cable/high bitrate scenes/=confirmed by many users who have wireless connection
e) WIFI isnt secure. and WDTV 300mhz dont have power for WAP2 and wireless stack and also reading from SMB/CIFSfs and fill DECODING chip (each small embeded blackbox have some limits....)

from those arguments I am for first add official cable network support (IP settings, stable and optimized 2-3chipsets = more modules cost space in FLASH memory we need this space also for other code such like Filemanager etc.)
a) Why? WIFI dongles are already working. A lot of people can't use a wired connection. CPU load? That could apply if you intend to stream HD content. It's enough to stream SD content though, not to speak of music. WiFi can be used to ftp to a USB hdd connected to the device too. (Yes it's slow but it works).

b) Flash space is not a problem using ext3-boot firmware. wdtv performance doesn't seem affected (the only affected thing seems to be the network transfer speed, and this is only critical for streaming HD content.
I'm not using heavy load applications such as torrent apps though, Maybe these affect performance, but you can always turn them off when you are watching movies.

c) I'm not sure what you mean.

d) Yes, but there are lot's of things to use wifi other than streaming HD, including streaming SD.

e) WEP is insecure. WPA2 with a strong passkey is very secure. It works quite well with some adapters (mine is rt73), and even if CIFS is slow, you can use NFS to improve the transfer speed.

If I hadn't had a spare wifi dongle, and if wifi hadn't been supported (thanks to all who made it possible), I couldn't have used the modified firmware.
I have no access to a wired connection from where I have the box, and buying a LAN-USB plus an access point seems a lot of money for something not officially supported (not guaranteed to work). Besides, lan-usb keys are hard to find in my city.

Edit.
I have read again your post, and now I understand that you are talking about official network support (from WD). Then some of your arguments make sense (Flash space, time waiting for support...).
I was thinking that this thread were about unofficial firmwares though, as we are in the Homebrew/Custom Firmware forum.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:41:37 PM by mike2k8 »

May 11, 2009, 02:39:12 PM
Reply #10

3dxr

• Global Moderator

ok mike ;)

btw buy over internet USB-LAN adapter and you will see differencies between wire and wireless
WPA2  will be also insecure soon ;) Elcomsoft + GTXcards ;) or rainbowtables :)

May 12, 2009, 10:53:56 AM
Reply #11

dencamp

I thought of getting a usb-lan adapter to increase performance. But it was forbidden by my girlfriend as she doesn't want to have cables running through the whole apartment  ;). So wireless is the best option. I am quite satisfied with the performance and using 300MBit adapter works with WPA and is promising except that I have a lot of traffic around here and transfer sometimes drops. Maybe adding a Buffer as mentioned at the forum would be a good idea when playing HD to compensate short drops in the connection.

May 12, 2009, 01:29:59 PM
Reply #12

Pompey_Monkey

Wow!  :o

105th on this forum to get the litle bugger networked -I feel like I'm on the cutting edge or something like that! I wonder how many more owners on the "original" AVS forum there are in the same boat? Maybe they're all here! :)

I haven't used unix at all (let alone in anger) for nearly ten years - I'd forgotten how much fun and rewarding even a little amount of shell scripting could be!

Hope you're all having fun too :)

May 12, 2009, 02:21:41 PM
Reply #13

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I thought of getting a usb-lan adapter to increase performance. But it was forbidden by my girlfriend as she doesn't want to have cables running through the whole apartment  ;). So wireless is the best option. I am quite satisfied with the performance and using 300MBit adapter works with WPA and is promising except that I have a lot of traffic around here and transfer sometimes drops. Maybe adding a Buffer as mentioned at the forum would be a good idea when playing HD to compensate short drops in the connection.

in some cases is possible use powernet adapter but be carefull not in all cases is possible transfer data over power cables

its dependent on powernet technology corinex have fast and quite good adapters but there are not very cheap
also another factor or limit is power infrastructure
for me is working fine on one circuit but not working over 2 power circuit

Zorander experimenting with some powernet adapters in past I have corinex high end model and no experience with cheap models

May 14, 2009, 09:55:41 PM
Reply #14

eagles

WiFi might be nice for checking email on your laptop, but a wired connection is soooo much more stable.

There is all sorts of packet latency with WiFi -- you do not notice it when your transfers take less than a second, but you really do not want to be streaming high-bitrate video over.  You can see the speed differences in other message threads -- wireless suffers from all sorts of packet retries.  Plus, the router has to take a wireless packet, and then convert it to electrical, just to route the packet.  Not even to mention the interference of microwave ovens, wireless phones, interference from other people's WiFi networks, and closed-sourced WiFi software drivers that have no support from the Linux Kernel.

Bottom line ... get a Ethernet connection by your television, folks.  Your entertainment is coming to you by way of the Internet, so get yourself equipped.