Author Topic: REQ v 1.02.08: Connect to external USB DVD drive an play dvd's  (Read 5667 times)

May 03, 2009, 03:23:34 AM
Read 5667 times

amlethus

I would very much like to play my dvds using wdtv and an external usb dvd drive (so I can enjoy the features of my original dvds: menus, language selection, chapter selection etc) and also play audio CDs...
10q so much
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:59:42 AM by amlethus »

May 05, 2009, 01:13:25 AM
Reply #1

Dgn-Master

Although i believe there is hacked firmware that will allow this, i too would prefer to see it added in future authentic firmware.

+1

May 05, 2009, 03:29:10 AM
Reply #2

potnoodles

No official F/w can support playback of original DVDs - There is no DVD license for WDTV or it would carry the Logo.(Same for Blu-Ray).

What is required is(non-encrypted) VIDEO_TS support and DVD .iso file support (from HDD Or DVD-Rom)for menus chapters etc.

Regards,
WDLXTV 0.5.5 ndas.app.bin
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- USBkey(FAT16 -f/w and a divx on root)
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- LG GGC H20L multi Blu/HD-DVD Rom
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- Belkin Gigabit Ethernet<-Netgear Gigabit Lan 8 port <- NDAS devices and Vista NFS
WDTV USB2 <- 4 port Hub
WDTV USB1 <- HDD

May 05, 2009, 04:20:00 AM
Reply #3

amlethus

VIDEO_TS support and DVD .iso file support (from HDD Or DVD-Rom)for menus chapters etc
that would suffice. but, also, I would like to be able to connect my usb dvd drive to play the files archived on the dvds.
10q

May 05, 2009, 04:33:37 AM
Reply #4

Nisei

But you are aware that there already is an unofficial firware which can do that?
etx3-boot 0.9.2
Arkview Gigabit ethernet adapter
Qnap TS-119 NAS with NFS share

May 05, 2009, 05:04:31 AM
Reply #5

amlethus

you are aware that there already is an unofficial firware which can do that?
but of course, but I wish for an official firmware for that.

May 05, 2009, 06:01:11 PM
Reply #6

pomigit

would be good if it also support usb BD-ROM. No confirmation that B-rads unofficial fix works for blu ray

May 05, 2009, 10:08:09 PM
Reply #7

amlethus

But you are aware that there already is an unofficial firware which can do that?
tried the latest one, did not succeed, any tutorial available somewhere?
it says: empty (or smth), I also plugged in in usb2 a stick, the same, I used a usb port replicator for usb1 port and plugged the dvd drive and the stick, the same...
am I doing smth wrong?
p.s. I do not like the background image in the hacked version.
p.p.s. isn't there a chance to have a hacked firmware of the "apple theme"? I am not going to mode it since I cannot network it nor can I program it since I am not into Linux and stuff.
10q so much

May 06, 2009, 12:31:50 AM
Reply #8

potnoodles

would be good if it also support usb BD-ROM. No confirmation that B-rads unofficial fix works for blu ray

Works for AVCHD UDF2.50 burned on Dual Layer DVDs which is as close to a burned Blu-Ray that I can get.
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=128.msg1117#msg1117

And on BD-ROM hardware
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=128.msg2323#msg2323
Note I have no actual burned Blu-ray discs to try on it.

Regards,
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- Belkin Gigabit Ethernet<-Netgear Gigabit Lan 8 port <- NDAS devices and Vista NFS
WDTV USB2 <- 4 port Hub
WDTV USB1 <- HDD

May 08, 2009, 05:14:03 AM
Reply #9

potnoodles

tried the latest one, did not succeed, any tutorial available somewhere?
it says: empty (or smth), I also plugged in in usb2 a stick, the same, I used a usb port replicator for usb1 port and plugged the dvd drive and the stick, the same...
am I doing smth wrong?
p.s. I do not like the background image in the hacked version.
p.p.s. isn't there a chance to have a hacked firmware of the "apple theme"? I am not going to mode it since I cannot network it nor can I program it since I am not into Linux and stuff.
10q so much

Its perfectly okay in here to name the firmware mod you are actually using (it would also be much more helpful)

A brief guide for those who cant network connect to WDTV

Using B-rads WDLXTV 0.5.2 (which also includes the DVD-ROM support)

1 turn off WDTV (this does NOT cause a boot or reboot)
2 unplug the power from the WDTV (very important or it wont work - forces a reboot when power reapplied)

USBKey = 2Gb High Speed Compact Flash (FAT) in Hi speed reader - holds 0.5.2 firmware files, a DivX video( all on key root).
My hardware connections as follows:

4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- USBkey
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- LG GGC H20L multi Blu/HD-DVD Rom (or just about any other DVD-ROM)
                              (note -1. make sure you have some playable media in the DVD-drive and
                                        2. the DVD drive is already powered up)

WDTV USB2 <- 4port USB 2.0 Hub
WDTV USB1 <- (optional - can be left empty - but I always have a HDD connected due to other issues)

Once everything connected connect the power to WDTV
(this is what is meant by "hard reboot" ,in these forums -  it takes a good bit longer to start up)
when you browse to Folder view you see:

cdrom
usb1 (if you have that connected)
usb2

Provisos
You need to have Media Library turned on.
I think the USBkey has to be FAT or FAT32
I think the hub has to be USB 2.0 compliant.
You can only see the drive in using the  Folder view (I have view as list turned on as well - might make a difference)

Some DVD-Roms will allow you to eject and change  disks while connected to WDTV (mine does) while others have the eject button locked forcing you to hard reboot when you need to change a disc.
Some more on this Here. http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=128.0

Regards,

WDTV USB2 <- 4 port Hub
WDTV USB1 <- HDD

May 08, 2009, 07:13:40 AM
Reply #10

amlethus

hey noodle, thank you for your input:
i tried to connect my dvd drive using this firmware: *** WDTV_FW_1_02_06_B-RAD.CC_DVDMOD-0.4.3 *** downloaded 800+ times!

I will surely try following your tutorial.
thank you so much!

May 10, 2009, 07:56:36 AM
Reply #11

ruddevil

+1

I had a lot of my medias backed up to CD & DVDs, be it photos, music, and videos. It's kind of time-consuming to transfer them to my external HDD if I'd like to play them. Then I'd have to reshuffle the external HDD content (deleting to give some space). It would be much much easier just to plug my external DVD drive and play those content directly from my CD/DVD.

May 10, 2009, 10:29:07 AM
Reply #12

amlethus

man, I just could not make it work with WDLXTV 0.5.2 (nor could I manage to connect the dvd drive with the dvdmod firmware) maybe it's the usb hub. it keeps on saying "empty folder".
hence, I would very much appreciate an official firmware to enable the connection with external dvd drives.

May 10, 2009, 11:58:34 AM
Reply #13

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
man, I just could not make it work with WDLXTV 0.5.2 (nor could I manage to connect the dvd drive with the dvdmod firmware) maybe it's the usb hub. it keeps on saying "empty folder".
hence, I would very much appreciate an official firmware to enable the connection with external dvd drives.

Unless they upgraded their kernel you wouldn't get any better support as they'd be using the exact same modules...2.6.15 is old and therefore device support is not exactly fresh.

I suggest telnetting in and trying things manually to see what is reported.

June 11, 2009, 07:08:46 AM
Reply #14

Sakkie

Agree 100% . Official USB external DVD support will insure better compatibility for more external devices, only 1 usb port will have to be used and will probably promote more WD TV sales. They can even sell a external dvd as a option ! Like many people i back up all my movies/series onto DVD's to make space for the new stuff.

I don't think they are trying to promote the WD external hard-drives, because the WD TV works with most USB external HDD's

+1