Author Topic: How to: Convert .MOV (1280x720@30) to x264 (Mp4,Mkv) - Same quality!  (Read 6970 times)

March 27, 2009, 06:18:01 AM
Read 6970 times

dusan

Hello all members of WDTV Forum! ;)

I'm converting .MOV files of resolution 1280x720@30 made by Panasonic TZ-5 digital camera (mjpeg variant).
When playing original .MOV through notebook on 37" LCD HD-ready the video is ... let say ... decent quality-very decent.

Now i've tried to convert these .MOV to .MKV or .MP4.
Tried several presets in MeGUI software, at last "Blu-ray" with main settings: 8000 kbps, 4.1 level, 2 pass, 3 or 4 reference frames.
Still, when playing on WDTV player the video appears to be BAD - ekvivalent quality as if i would watch 1500kbps video through notebook.

Anyone has good preset config for this kind of conversation??
I could post 10 sec sample video if anyone interested in spending a few minutes for my issue!?!?

Dusan

March 27, 2009, 12:03:10 PM
Reply #1

Starstream

Try Ripbot264 instead and set it to constant quality mode {CQ} a value of 18 is pretty close to the source material and a lower value mean higher quality. The thing about CQ mode is that there is no determined file size so depending on the video the final output may be anywhere from a fraction of it to almost equal in size.

March 27, 2009, 12:55:09 PM
Reply #2

dusan

Try Ripbot264 instead and set it to constant quality mode {CQ} a value of 18 is pretty close to the source material and a lower value mean higher quality. The thing about CQ mode is that there is no determined file size so depending on the video the final output may be anywhere from a fraction of it to almost equal in size.

Will do that in the morning and give a follow up :)

March 27, 2009, 01:37:41 PM
Reply #3

dusan

Eh, i've tried it right now. After loading my .MOV video Media player classic pops up playing getinfo.avs and instead of video there's text:
I DON'T KNOW WHAT "AUDIO" MEANS ... C:\ ...\....getinfo.avs, line 3
In that file in line 3 is writen: AudioDub(video,audio)

Can any1 help me? Uncle Google doesn't have a clue.

March 27, 2009, 01:59:17 PM
Reply #4

Starstream

It wasn't able to decode the audio source by the looks of it.

Do you have Quicktime installed if no try installing latest version (not QT alternative) or if you know the audio type go into ffdshow tryouts audio config and try enabling support for that type (audio types used in MOV usually are not enabled by default).

There is no proper directshow splitter for MOV so its going through Media player classic which is associated with mov files to decode it (MPC taps into Quicktime in turn), I'm not sure if Ripbot264 can tap into Quicktimes MOV splitter (from their audio/video codecs) directly but try re-associating MOV files with Quicktime if all else fails.

FYI MeGUI also has a constant quality mode though I have not used MeGUI in a long time (but its in there somewhere). XviD4PSP is also another x264 front end with constant quality support.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:02:38 PM by Starstream »

March 27, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
Reply #5

dusan

It wasn't able to decode the audio source by the looks of it.

Do you have Quicktime installed if no try installing latest version (not QT alternative) or if you know the audio type go into ffdshow tryouts audio config and try enabling support for that type (audio types used in MOV usually are not enabled by default).

There is no proper directshow splitter for MOV so its going through Media player classic which is associated with mov files to decode it (MPC taps into Quicktime in turn), I'm not sure if Ripbot264 can tap into Quicktimes MOV splitter (from their audio/video codecs) directly but try re-associating MOV files with Quicktime if all else fails.

FYI MeGUI also has a constant quality mode though I have not used MeGUI in a long time (but its in there somewhere). XviD4PSP is also another x264 front end with constant quality support.

1. Tried with Quicktime, ffdshow audio config (all xPCM)
2. Tried asociations MPC -> quicktime, still loads MPC (figgured out that RipBot uses it's own MPC.exe :(
3. MeGUI dissapointed me so far, once i've tried CQ but no luck
4. Going to try Xvid4PSP

Here's info on Audio in my .MOV files:
ID                               : 2
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Little
Format settings, Sign            : Unsigned
Codec ID                         : raw
Duration                         : 9s 500ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
Sampling rate                    : 8 000 Hz
Resolution                       : 8 bits

March 28, 2009, 12:59:10 AM
Reply #6

Starstream

Yeah I downloaded a sample from the camera and it did the same thing with Ripbot264 on my system however it did work with XviD4PSP. If you post a sample of your video in the developer of Ripbot264's thread & ask nicely (he gets lots of requests) he may correct the problem of it not decoding the audio properly.

In XviD4PSP select MKV as the format then try the x264 Q18 Ultra profile. On the sample clip I ran it through I didn't see any major difference between the MKV and the original MOV.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:02:20 AM by Starstream »

March 28, 2009, 01:09:12 AM
Reply #7

dusan

Yeah I downloaded a sample from the camera and it did the same thing with Ripbot264 on my system however it did work with XviD4PSP. If you post a sample of your video in the developer of Ripbot264's thread & ask nicely (he gets lots of requests) he may correct the problem of it not decoding the audio properly.

In XviD4PSP select MKV as the format then try the x264 Q18 Ultra profile. On the sample clip I ran it through I didn't see any major difference between the MKV and the original MOV.

done that 2 hrs ago :))))
but i'm not near wdtv ... in 2 days i'll know.

hey ... thanx!!