Author Topic: Best quality rip is .iso with DVD Shrink?  (Read 5553 times)

May 03, 2010, 12:04:36 PM
Read 5553 times

tripps

So from what I've read so far, and judging from my setup (Computer networked to WD TV Live then connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp LCD HDTV) and expectations (best video quality with not much concern to size. I only care about video quality)....The best route for me to go would be to rip the DVD's (movies and TV shows) to .iso format using DVD Shrink and then play them through the WD TV Live on my TV. Is this correct??

May 03, 2010, 12:12:59 PM
Reply #1

tripps

Or would I not sacrifice any video quality by ripping the .iso file with DVD Shrink and then converting to .mkv file with a program like MakeMKV? Thanks

May 03, 2010, 12:56:16 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Skip DVD shrink for sure if you want high quality and dont really care about the file size.

Make MKV will give you a 1 to 1 copy with no encoding. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 03, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
Reply #3

tripps

May 03, 2010, 01:03:24 PM
Reply #4

tripps

Will MakeMKV also shrink some DVD's if I wouldn't mind the smaller file size and? Such as converting to .mkv?

May 03, 2010, 02:01:20 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
No, MakeMKV only re-wraps the video stream into an MKV wrapper.  It does no transncoding so no shrinking.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

July 02, 2010, 10:47:16 AM
Reply #6

bypeimpaips

• Personal Text
    http://wpblogs.co.tv/decorhome/?p=19
What player will you be using them with, and what is the music format 128 kbps MP3, 256 kbps AAC, etc.?

July 10, 2010, 05:59:13 AM
Reply #7

mufc

Telling people to skip DVD Shrink if they care about quality is a bit misleading. Shrink is great when you do no shrinking. You can use it to back up the main DVD movie only and use it to get rid of credits at the beginning and end of the movie and strip out all audio and subtitles that you do not need making the iso you end up with smaller but without any encoding done at all. Shrink being old software does not work on some movies. When that happens I use DVD HD Decrypter to get main movie to my Hard Drive and then use Shrink to strip out parts I do not want.
With larger Hard Drives coming out all the time there should be no need to shrink any DVD's.
This is not an attack on you jayallen. I really enjoy your posts and learn a lot but just wanted to add my bit so as not to turn people away from DVD Shrink when it really can be a valuable tool.
Tripps
Iso works great, so need for MakeMKV in this instance. MakeMKV is great software but not needed when Iso is fine. I know that MakeMKV recognizes chapters but I find no use for that when watching a movie. If chapters are  important to you then you could use MakeMKV after using Shrink if you want.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:06:58 AM by mufc »

September 28, 2010, 06:44:19 AM
Reply #8

RoofingGuy

Telling people to skip DVD Shrink if they care about quality is a bit misleading. Shrink is great when you do no shrinking. You can use it to back up the main DVD movie only and use it to get rid of credits at the beginning and end of the movie and strip out all audio and subtitles that you do not need

Bingo!

I don't think I've ever actually "shrunk" a DVD with DVDShrink.  I've either used it to make .iso backups, or to decrypt a disc for import into other apps which won't support store-bought DVDs.

e.g. before I got my WDTV, I didn't like having so many discs for the munchkin and all the "previews", so I'd use DVDShrink to rip all her "Backyardigans" DVDs (4 episodes per disc, DVD5) into VIDEO_TS folders, and then create new discs in TMPGEnc Authoring Works (10 episodes per disc, DVD9) and only have 2 discs per season instead of 5, and not have all the annoying ads.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:58:36 AM by RoofingGuy »

November 18, 2010, 05:00:58 AM
Reply #9

maxshelor

DVD Shrink is capable of both re-authoring and re-encoding the movie. It features an intuitive user interface which makes it easy to choose what to keep, and what to lose.