Author Topic: Support for DD/ DTS Master Audio found on Blu Ray  (Read 9097 times)

May 03, 2010, 04:20:13 AM
Read 9097 times

mufc

It would be nice if WDTV supported DD/ DTS Master Audio found on Blu Ray. Just when I thought WDTV was the best thing since sliced bread along comes Blue Ray . I know I can play Blue Ray with audio down to plain DD or DTS but the most amazing thing about blue ray is the new master audio. It is mind blowing. Right now I use a blue ray player that converts the master audio and puts the sound out through 6 discrete cables to my receiver and trust me , you have not heard sound until you hear this. For me if WDTV supported this it would be worth the extra price. WDTV is still a fabulous product but it could be better if it supported this. After all the progress of having all my movies on a hard drive playable at any time, I have to put a blue ray disc in a blue ray player to watch those for the reasons I just gave.

May 05, 2010, 08:53:02 AM
Reply #1

Pangadaywalker

WDTV Gen1 at least will never support that since its HDMI is 1.2

Now, the Live may support, if there is a future FW update.

But we cannot count on that, since everyone is waiting for yellow subs for over 1 year already.

Cheers.
My set:

May 05, 2010, 11:49:43 AM
Reply #2

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD

WDTV Live does not decode dts-ma , but I thought it would pass through via HDMI to a receiver
don't have mine connected this way, but I believe that's how it works on the live

KAD

May 06, 2010, 02:24:20 AM
Reply #3

oldbrand7

a guy with denon 1910 says it works with dtshd-ma ! and he says also that a friend with a yamaha works too.

my yamaha v465 gets only truehd from wdlive, and once i read dts-ex matrix (with a terminator 2 mkv)

May 06, 2010, 03:38:02 AM
Reply #4

Pangadaywalker

From what I know, the FW should not even pass thru. But if it is working something may have changed.

Keeps us informed.
My set:

May 17, 2010, 12:28:08 PM
Reply #5

bertrandr

All the testing I have done confirms that DTS-HD is definitely not passed through to the Live version of the WD.
The signal is stripped of the HD signaling, and only the core DTS signal is passed out the HDMI port....

Dolby TruHD seems to be OK, but I only have one source to test. But in my case the Dolby TrueHD is definitely passed though to my Yamaha RX-V1900.

I think it is a real shame that WD does not leave the HD audio alone. No one is asking the WD to process or decode the audio stream, just leave it alone an let our receivers do the work...

My 2c,

BR

Playback on: WDTV-Live via Yamaha RXV-1800 Receiver
Wild Media Server installed on: Windows Home Server (3Tb custom build)
Viewing on: 46" Samsung  6-Series  LCD

May 24, 2010, 09:20:37 AM
Reply #6

oldbrand7

could somebody test on denon 1910 ?

June 04, 2010, 10:29:39 AM
Reply #7

Pangadaywalker

Denon 1910 will be the same. HDMI will have DTS and DD (standard) and Dolby True HD under WDTV Live.

For WDTV Gen1 and probably Gen2 will have only DTS and DD (standard).
My set:

June 04, 2010, 03:52:25 PM
Reply #8

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD

yeah what I've read it's definetely not supposed to be supported, whoever posted saying they've got it working, it would be nice if they could give details of how they achieved this, and maybe one day, I'll finally be able to get my pioneer elite back out of the box in the closet and test it myself.

KAD

June 05, 2010, 01:50:50 PM
Reply #9

oldbrand7

xtreamer works with dts-ma and dd-truehd..

and does not pay royalties...

October 08, 2010, 04:24:15 AM
Reply #10

martil

I sold WDTV for this reason and bought Xtremaer...
Yes, Xtreamer plays DTS-HD MA, but not over network!!

It has slow procesor to do this and video&sound doesnt play correctly, sound and video are blinking.

The only device, that can play or decode DTS-HD MA over Network is Popcorn...too expensive for me.

November 21, 2010, 05:20:31 PM
Reply #11

machoman

All the testing I have done confirms that DTS-HD is definitely not passed through to the Live version of the WD.
The signal is stripped of the HD signaling, and only the core DTS signal is passed out the HDMI port....

Dolby TruHD seems to be OK, but I only have one source to test. But in my case the Dolby TrueHD is definitely passed though to my Yamaha RX-V1900.

I think it is a real shame that WD does not leave the HD audio alone. No one is asking the WD to process or decode the audio stream, just leave it alone an let our receivers do the work...

My 2c,

BR

I've just bought the WDTV 2nd Gen and i'm delighted to report that it looks like it's passing through all HD sound formats. I've had Gen 1 before which didn't do it but Gen 2 is passing HD sound format to the amp.

October 21, 2011, 11:50:13 AM
Reply #12

frankshadows

Denon 1910 will be the same. HDMI will have DTS and DD (standard) and Dolby True HD under WDTV Live.

For WDTV Gen1 and probably Gen2 will have only DTS and DD (standard).

I have wd tv 1 generation connected to harman kardon avr254 and recognize dts-es matrix with mkv and m2ts files. Mkv files cut off sounds for one second once in a while,but the m2ts works perfect!!!! 

November 16, 2011, 08:45:00 PM
Reply #13

ekim726

My 2c,

BR

I've just bought the WDTV 2nd Gen and i'm delighted to report that it looks like it's passing through all HD sound formats. I've had Gen 1 before which didn't do it but Gen 2 is passing HD sound format to the amp.

This is not correct, The WDTV still does not pass through all sound formats. I don't know what your setup is like but you must be bypassing your WDTV box and putting sound directly to your audio device. Are you using the HDMI connections? Your post is over a year old and they still don't pass through all of the formats.