Author Topic: *experimental* wireless usb support package  (Read 300248 times)

March 29, 2009, 11:41:24 AM
Reply #30

rezmus

or try iwconfig $MDEV ap 00:11:22:33:44:55

replacing 00:11:22:33:44:55 with your wifi router/ap interface mac.

March 29, 2009, 12:42:27 PM
Reply #31

Jackman

HI I am adding my last log files, I ma trying whitout key and whit key (natually changes it) in the ap. I have tried other channels (number1) in the api but it all seems to stop.. the usb key seems in one ocation to try and try and try but in the other setting, (all info in)

March 29, 2009, 01:20:44 PM
Reply #32

waterlooscp

It would be very nice if you get to work the rt2570 devices.

I have a Conceptronic C54RU
VID:PID -> 14B2:3C02

Officially it works with rt2570 driver but I've readed it could work with rt73.
I've tried it with ext3-boot release 0.8.7.2 and wireless-mod 0.3 but
without luck.

Thank U very much and go on with this incredible work !!

Hi granjerox,
I have the same adapter as you and doesn't work. 
Your adapter turn lights on when connected to wdtv?

I have also a SMC2862W-G with the same behaviour.

Regards

March 29, 2009, 01:29:25 PM
Reply #33

Jackman

HI I get red light on my dwa-140
I have set the mac asdress of my ap ,adn channel + key
and I can see that the mac adress form the USBWan tries to connect but do not get any ip assign. Because it is set in the config??

My ap is a 3com that cna max run on 22mb but my usbwlan key can run on 54 and it seesm from the log tha tit tries to do so.. any parameter to set for this?

addign my log and my config file

Thanks for the help in advance..

March 29, 2009, 05:03:06 PM
Reply #34

Zorander

without luck.

Yea, I don't have the 25xx adapters working yet.

However, the 14B2:3C09 one that someone else has should work (it uses the rt2870sta driver).

Ok, did the few things required to get WDLXTV compatible with this. All the modules load, although I can't seem to get my rt2500 adapter to be recognized, kernel module loads but thats it. Might dig further into it soon.

Only one thing I'd like to propose:

I'd prefer not have to modify mdev.conf, so how about checking to see if the devices already exist inside of mdev and catting them on if not, like such.
Code: [Select]
[ "`cat /etc/mdev.conf | grep rausb0`" == "" ] && cat $APATH/etc/mdev.conf >> /etc/mdev.conf

this makes mdev.conf updateable without me having to whip up a new release for a new adapter.

Still tweaking out wdlxtv for the next release, but this will be in there...as well as one new feature I hacked in that a lot of people will appreciate :D
The problem is that /etc is READ ONLY in WDLXTV and the update command would just fail.
There are alternatives, that was just the fastest.  (I could chase down the line where the device gets named in the wireless driver and "fix" it, for one, or I could do a unionfs mount of /etc and my own directory to replace one or two files)

And right now, ralink 25xx adapters are known to NOT work (no working driver yet)

March 29, 2009, 05:43:10 PM
Reply #35

shadow

@peterskeetero

Ok, after some hammering :) I got my D-Link DWA-110 working with WPA2-PSK / AES.

Some strange behavior:
  *It fails to accept the ctrl_interface of the wpa_supplicant. It gives this error:
   Failed to initialize control interface '/boot/ctrl/wpa_supplicant'
   (the directory /boot/crtl exists, tried conf to /tmp/wpa_supplicant but same result)

I workarounded this by commenting the #ctrl_interface on wpa_supplicant.conf. But would be good to use with crtl_interface (think that the network will work ok, but wpa_cli won't work without it).

Another strange behavior:
   Network works fine (ssh, ping, etc the connections seems steady, but the Status led blinks a lot, even when there is no traffic. I checked the logs and there is *a lot* of this messages:

wdtv user.warn kernel: MlmeAssocReqAction(): WPA2/WPA2PSK fill the ReqVarIEs with CipherTmp!
wdtv user.warn kernel: calling linkdown

Message repeats (sometimes only the 1st line, sometimes only the second).

Any clues?

My setup for WPA2-PSK AES is:

net.config (DHCP=Yes, added the following lines)
ifconfig rausb0 up
wpa_supplicant -B -D ralink -i rausb0 -c /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf

create a wpa_supplicant.conf on the root of pendrive, with the following content:
#ctrl_interface=/boot/ctrl/wpa_supplicant
network={
   ssid="your_ssid"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   proto=WPA2
   pairwise=CCMP
   group=CCMP
   psk="your_passphrase"
}

Note: Not able to work with hidden essid (even with scan_ssid=1). When the essid visible it works just fine.

March 29, 2009, 08:05:58 PM
Reply #36

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD

without luck.

Yea, I don't have the 25xx adapters working yet.

However, the 14B2:3C09 one that someone else has should work (it uses the rt2870sta driver).

Ok, did the few things required to get WDLXTV compatible with this. All the modules load, although I can't seem to get my rt2500 adapter to be recognized, kernel module loads but thats it. Might dig further into it soon.
Only one thing I'd like to propose:

I'd prefer not have to modify mdev.conf, so how about checking to see if the devices already exist inside of mdev and catting them on if not, like such.
[ "`cat /etc/mdev.conf | grep rausb0`" == "" ] && cat $APATH/etc/mdev.conf >> /etc/mdev.conf

this makes mdev.conf updateable without me having to whip up a new release for a new adapter.

Still tweaking out wdlxtv for the next release, but this will be in there...as well as one new feature I hacked in that a lot of people will appreciate :D
The problem is that /etc is READ ONLY in WDLXTV and the update command would just fail.
There are alternatives, that was just the fastest.  (I could chase down the line where the device gets named in the wireless driver and "fix" it, for one, or I could do a unionfs mount of /etc and my own directory to replace one or two files)

And right now, ralink 25xx adapters are known to NOT work (no working driver yet)

Well what I wrote will work,  because I symlinked /etc/mdev.conf to /tmp where the stable mdev.conf resides. it just won't work until i've released the next revision. As I think of conf files that would benefit from dynamic modification I've done the same thing for them all.

I've inspected the latest ext3-boot there are modules in there that will have to be in the wireless pack as well to work with wdlxtv, they can't fit in wdlxtv because of size restrictions. I don't have many bytes to be working with.

I'll put a new version up tommorrow, then compile a wireless pack with everything that it should need and maybe someone here can test if it works. Too bad the rt2x00 drivers were mainlined, because its made it a bit difficult to backport them. Not even sure the legacy rt2500 driver even supports usb adapters.

March 29, 2009, 08:26:46 PM
Reply #37

Jackman

Hi could someone take a look at my last post adn my logfile and please try to see what the prolem is with my wlan usbstick?

Thanks.

Ole

March 29, 2009, 08:57:44 PM
Reply #38

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Hi could someone take a look at my last post adn my logfile and please try to see what the prolem is with my wlan usbstick?

Thanks.

Ole

--> Error 2 opening /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat
that looks a bit suspect, as its the settings file for the driver. In the rt2500 driver I had define PROFILE_PATH inside of rt_config.h...could be causing it to choke. But it also doesn't appear to like your settings, maybe even ignores them altogether (which could be a settings issue again).

March 30, 2009, 01:37:19 AM
Reply #39

eliafino

Hi at all!!!
great project  ;)

I read RaLink rt73 chipset is compatible (es. Dlink DWL-G122), i have DWL-G132 wich AR5005UG chipset. No support for this?

Is possible implement Multiband Atheros Driver for WiFi (MADWIFI)?

Best regards,
Elia

March 30, 2009, 04:56:16 AM
Reply #40

Jackman

I gave up the dwa-140  I tried to make it work and used soem hours.. since my WDTV is only 3 days old and the USB Wlan stick also I returned the wlanstick and asked to get anotehr ne I then got a cnet stick but it had not the right version so when I tested it it was like es, 3 time back to the shop and I bought a DWL.G122 (it even has a linux logo on the box) I pluged it in set the minimum of requierment like key and ssid , and auto dhcp and it was up running.

DWA-140 I cant recomend I have not manage to get it to work, but it seems for now that the DWL-G122 works fine.

March 30, 2009, 06:42:59 AM
Reply #41

granjerox

Hi granjerox,
I have the same adapter as you and doesn't work. 
Your adapter turn lights on when connected to wdtv?

I have also a SMC2862W-G with the same behaviour.

Regards

Hi Waterlooscp,

hier same as you, lights remain off

:(

March 30, 2009, 07:40:37 AM
Reply #42

Jackman

D-Link Wlan stick adn USB hdisk. Not working togheter.
My new D-link DWL G122 works fine with a usbmemorystick. no problem.

but when I connect my 2,5 inc hdisk that is in a usb craddle Zynet hd-d3-u2 it do not work. HTe usb Disk seem to work fine.

Can this be a incompatible issue or power issue? Hdisk and USBWlan ?

March 30, 2009, 07:47:16 AM
Reply #43

shadow

Another strange behavior:
   Network works fine (ssh, ping, etc the connections seems steady, but the Status led blinks a lot, even when there is no traffic. I checked the logs and there is *a lot* of this messages:

wdtv user.warn kernel: MlmeAssocReqAction(): WPA2/WPA2PSK fill the ReqVarIEs with CipherTmp!
wdtv user.warn kernel: calling linkdown

Message repeats (sometimes only the 1st line, sometimes only the second).

Any clues?

Just an update:

Seems that it actually looses some packets when the messages appears:
(tail -f messages.txt and ping wdtv from another machine)

on ping wdtv:
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: seq=64 ttl=64 time=1.333 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: seq=72 ttl=64 time=6.259 ms
(packets 65 to 71 are missing)

right after packet 64 appears in messages.txt:
Mar 30 15:38:30 wdtv user.warn kernel: calling linkdown
Mar 30 15:38:30 wdtv user.warn kernel: MlmeAssocReqAction(): WPA2/WPA2PSK fill the ReqVarIEs with CipherTmp!

Or:
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: seq=80 ttl=64 time=1.723 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: seq=81 ttl=64 time=857.369 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: seq=82 ttl=64 time=1.735 ms
(after packet 81 shown, the messages appears in messages.txt)

March 30, 2009, 07:54:30 AM
Reply #44

shadow

D-Link Wlan stick adn USB hdisk. Not working togheter.
My new D-link DWL G122 works fine with a usbmemorystick. no problem.

but when I connect my 2,5 inc hdisk that is in a usb craddle Zynet hd-d3-u2 it do not work. HTe usb Disk seem to work fine.

Can this be a incompatible issue or power issue? Hdisk and USBWlan ?

Jackman,

Are you using a power adaptor for the HDD, or just the USB? Did the HDD spin?
 Maybe it's too much power drain for the USB on the WDTV to work with Wlan and a 2.5 HDD on USB...

Maybe you should give a try with the power adaptor on HDD or with a external powered USB HUB...

Regards