Author Topic: *experimental* wireless usb support package  (Read 300142 times)

March 30, 2009, 11:59:22 PM
Reply #60

draadloos

When I switch off by remote control I can turn my wireless-WDTV on again. When I switch off and disconnect the power cord and then put the power on again, my wireless-WDTV seems to hang on the WDTV-logo. I can see activity on the usb stick from the green led but not on the wlan-adapter. I waited for say 10 min with the blue WDTV staying on screen and then pulled the power plug and put it back in again (power off with rc had no effect). I then have activity on usb-stick and wlan-adapter but OSD does not get past blue WD TV logo. I am able now to telnet in and only when I reboot from telnet I see normal boot-up procedure and wireless-WDTV ready to go. Whats going wrong?  ???
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

March 31, 2009, 07:58:22 AM
Reply #61

Jackman

I am not sure what this can be but try this first.
disconnetc tht eusb wlan stick and see if you get the unit to boot.
If not remove the powert put the usb stick into the other USB port adn connect the power. (to test the USB ports)
WHat type of USB WLan stick do you have?

What version of the EXt3 do you use?
Have you remembert to copy the app.bin files for the wireless on the root of the stick? (I dont think this is the issue)

March 31, 2009, 01:23:18 PM
Reply #62

Jackman

I founf the problem wiht my USB HDISK the power adpater I used for the hdisk is not working correctly so therefore the WDTV turns itself off to prevent damage. I used the new poweradapter intended to be used whith the USB HUB instead in the USB Hdisk. and it works fine. I seems that the system is a bit slower for loading but Iguess thatst the speed different between USB stick adn USB hdisk.

Does anyone here knwo if any of the WD USB hardisk needs ectra power ? I am thinking of buying one soon when I have some cash and connect it to the powered USB hub (I expect it will get enoughf power from the hub)

Any experience?

March 31, 2009, 04:13:45 PM
Reply #63

bmwhite

I use the WD My Passport (the 400 GB was on sale for $99 at Best Buy). The WDTV comes with a holder for it.  It is USB powered and doesn't even have a power connector. It works fine plugged directly in the WDTV. I then have an unpowered hub that connects 1) the ethernet adapter and 2) the flash drive that has the ext3 software. Don't get the less expensive My Book. They require external power and are much bigger. You want the Passport, the thing is really small compared to my Seagate FreeAgent drive. Its smaller than the WDTV.

I have also done the trick of making a small FAT partition on the WD Passport drive and storing the ext3 code there. That way you don't even need a hub. One WDTV port for the Passport and the other one for the USB ethernet adapter.

Also - to make this reply "on-topic"  :) I could never get my Airlink wireless dongle to work (see earlier post by me where I posted log file). Has anyone got an Airlink wireless dongle to work? Also I had asked a question about the order of statements in the network.config file but no response. Could someone post their complete network.config file for a WEP setup? Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:19:06 PM by bmwhite »

March 31, 2009, 11:20:48 PM
Reply #64

Jackman

Hi the wlan config is very easy infact ot set up.
The first USB wlan I had was a D-link GWA140 adn I manage  get teh WDTV find the usb and so but in theend it did not work.
I then Drove to the shop and bought an DWL-122 from D-Link it cost about 40 dollar(I was prober°y ripped off ) and I then checked my config adn did the following.

Its is 3 lines that are important,
1 line that you start the USb device.
Second line is that you set the Network name and pasword. ( I am using wep but many has manage to get it workig with WPA.
3 is that you first try DHC normal.

You will find the setting you need in this post..

IF not send me a person message with your confi net and I will check it out.

March 31, 2009, 11:43:07 PM
Reply #65

draadloos

here is my net.config using rezmus's wireles walk-through
@ hxxp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16144003#post16144003

#
# Network configuration file

#You can override the hostname here:

HOST=wdtv

# if you do not set a hostname,a random one is assigned.

# I added these 2 ixconfig-lines from rezmus's wireles walk-through
# @ hxxp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16144003#post16144003
# the x's after essid is the name for your wlan and the x's in quotes is the WEP-key in hexadecimal.
# (for WEP-key in ASCII put s: in front of key: "s:xxxxx")
ifconfig $MDEV up
iwconfig $MDEV essid xxxxx key "xxxxxxxxxx" 

# attempt to set jumbo frames
# MTU=9000
# Your other computers should have same MTU or it will break NFS

#
# Dynamic IP Configuration:

DHCP=yes

#
# Static IP Configuration:  (only if not DHCP)

#DHCP=no
#IP=192.168.0.10
#GW=192.168.0.1
#NM=255.255.255.0
#DNS1=192.168.0.1
#DNS2=205.171.3.65

#
# Optional:  specify time server host:

#NTP=pool.ntp.org
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

April 01, 2009, 02:14:21 AM
Reply #66

Jackman

yep it looks very mutch as mine.
WHat firmware are you using? can you also post the log, it porberly give of these Linux wizard some meaning.

You can natually to use statick IP. if that does work. try to go back to the dynamic ip and add this to the iwconfig

iwconfig $MDEV ap 11:22:22:33:44 essid xxxxx key "xxxxxxxxxx"

this ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is actualy pointing to the AP mac adress os it must be replaced wiht the rihgt adress :D

I tried for hours to get a wlan USb to work and I gave up, I then returned it in the shop and bought one I knew people got to work here in the forum.
first atemt.   up running

April 01, 2009, 04:12:05 AM
Reply #67

bmwhite

Thanks all. My config was the same so my dongle must be unsupported. It has the ZD1211 chip but must be something else about it. For now I am using the wired Trendnet USB adapter attached to a wireless gaming adapter. Works, but too much hardware and wires. I like the clean setup a wireless dongle would give.

April 02, 2009, 03:56:09 AM
Reply #68

draadloos

;D Upgraded to FW 1.02 and ext3 0.9 and got my wireless up and running again.

@Zorander: flash drive in USB1 and WLAN in USB2 works fine but flash in USB2 and WLAN in USB1 not. Any ideas why? My setup looks better with WLAN in USB1 ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:58:18 AM by draadloos »

April 02, 2009, 04:02:32 AM
Reply #69

draadloos

@Zorander: after upgrading I no longer need to login for telnet. Is this due to FW 1.02 or ext 0.9?

April 02, 2009, 05:25:51 AM
Reply #70

Zorander

@Zorander: after upgrading I no longer need to login for telnet. Is this due to FW 1.02 or ext 0.9?

It's because of a missing symlink.
If you type "cd /bin && ln -s busybox login" it should fix itself. (you may need to reboot for this to take effect)

It affects ssh logins as well (ssh doesn't work unless /bin/login exists)

ir_remap didn't make it into this version either (there's an app.bin for that anyway)

However, ftp and samba should both be working with this version.

April 03, 2009, 09:14:39 AM
Reply #71

Kater432

Hello,
i use a MSI US54SE WLAN USB Dongle. 
zd1211b   vendor_id = 0ace    product_id = 1215
ext3-boot-0.8.7.2 ---- wireless-mod-0.3.app.bin
it only works with wep, not with wpa.

WEP Config (Works without any Problems)
Code: [Select]
ifconfig $MDEV up
iwconfig $MDEV essid K9_K10_CHR1203FR2812 key "6162636465666768696A6B6C6D"

WPA Config (i only delete the two lines for wep and put this
ifconfig $MDEV up
wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -i$MDEV -c/boot/wpa_supplicant.conf

wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/boot/ctrl/wpa_supplicant
network={
ssid="K9_K10_CHR1203FR2812"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="my code in ascii"
}
on the tv screen it shows me the ip, but no ping are possible.
if the first line "ctrl_interface=/boot/ctrl/wpa_supplicant" are uncomment or like /tmp/wpa_supplicant no ip appear.
in my fritzbox i changed the wep to wpa-psk with tkip
Has someone a idea, or can someone put her his lines that works.
LOAD=zd1211b or modprobe zd1211b need in the net.config ???

thx

April 03, 2009, 07:13:13 PM
Reply #72

shadow

@Kater432

My wireless connection works with WPA only if I comment the "ctrl_interface" line in the wpa_supplicant.conf

Have you tried this:

#ctrl_interface=/boot/ctrl/wpa_supplicant
   network={
   ssid="K9_K10_CHR1203FR2812"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   psk="my code in ascii"
   }

Note: My wireless network work in WPA2-PSK / AES... But with ssid VISIBLE.

April 04, 2009, 12:27:20 AM
Reply #73

draadloos

Anybody knows if it is possible to monitor wlan signal strength? I want to optimize wlan connection by positioning the adapter with usb extension cord and some signal monitoring would make things a lot easier.

April 04, 2009, 06:51:40 AM
Reply #74

draadloos

Found a wlan monitoring tool myself  :P

Snooping around in Zorander's wireless-mod-bin 0.3  i found this usefull wireless network monitoring tool in /apps/wireless-mod/bin/:

/apps/wireless-mod/bin/iwconfig eth0     

This utility shows current wlan configuration. It helped me in finding the optimal position (using a usb extension cord) for the WLAN-adapter. Mine looks like this (while streaming a movie):

root:~> /apps/wireless-mod/bin/iwconfig eth0
eth0      802.11b/g NIC  ESSID:"xxxxx"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
          Retry:off   RTS thr=9999 B   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:89/100  Noise level:0/100
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:28761  Invalid misc:12120   Missed beacon:0