Author Topic: *experimental* wireless usb support package  (Read 300010 times)

March 30, 2009, 09:52:14 AM
Reply #45

3dxr

• Global Moderator

USB2.0 bus capable provide 500mA
some 2.5" HDD like my reuiqre 2 times more (2x500ma=1A) or my Old TOSHIBA 2.5" 0.7A(700mA)

WIFI is active transmitting device this device is capable regulate power over tranmission but peek should be over USB bus limit.
Also USB descriptor are providing information about power min required capabilities and USBchip will reject device to prevent self damage. check your HDD how many require for full performance

becouse some devices are capable run in USB1.1 compatibility mode - are slower
and when is USB2.0 available working on high power mode (faster rotation hdd plates)

Solution is use WIFI HDD devices only on active external powered HUB
( its better buy good not cheap ... from ..... GOOD power adapter is required I = 5V/2Amp or more for example)

And I see you have packet lost on link
try decrease speed = this will change modulation on lower speed modes should be more resistable for noising from other wifi networks)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:55:40 AM by 3dxr »

March 30, 2009, 10:52:03 AM
Reply #46

shadow

try decrease speed = this will change modulation on lower speed modes should be more resistable for noising from other wifi networks)

3dxr,

I don't think that the speed is the problem, because this behavior occurs only when using WPA. If I use no encryption, it works just fine (ping ok, no kernel messages).
Also, when AP is using WPA all the other wireless devices on my network work ok (no interference, etc... Used kismet to choose a good channel).

The messages and network-hiccups with WPA occurs every 3 to 6 seconds... so my messages.txt is flooded with this..

Anyone else is using wireless with WPA?? Any messages in messages.txt?

March 30, 2009, 10:53:49 AM
Reply #47

Jackman

Hi Is it so to understand that I canuse an USB hub that is powered adn connect the wland usba nd the hdisk?
How do I reduce the speed on the wlan to get less package loss?

This is what I founf out..
I looked around for a suitabel poweradapter and found a 5V adapter. this adapter work fine with the hdisk in windows..
Here is the strange things I experience with the WDTV.
If I connect the hardisk with power to the WDTV it wont boot.
If I turn on the wdtv (welcome screen) adn then connect the Hdisk, not mutch happend. but when I then remove the Original power the WDTV still runs. (getting power from my power in the hdisk)

I have attached the different logfiles to show how the system respond(or not reposnd) if it can be of interest for someone :D

March 30, 2009, 11:23:47 AM
Reply #48

Jackman

Telent pasword? I can not find the default pasword anyplace, I am trying wiht enter and root as pasword but I am not able to acess.
Please help me.

March 30, 2009, 11:25:01 AM
Reply #49

Jackman

Has anyone a working solution for USBwlan and a hardisk? If so what type of hdisk are you using? Anyone with a Dlink 122 Wlan ?

Thanks for all the help so faar.

J

March 30, 2009, 11:42:07 AM
Reply #50

rezmus

shadow: i'm using wpa-psk on rt73 based wlan without such probs, but i don;t force wpa2 and ccmp algo.

March 30, 2009, 01:15:26 PM
Reply #51

draadloos

:) Got myself a ZD1211b stick (ICIDU EUR 9.95 at mycom.nl) and it worked out of the box with ext3-boot-0.8.7.2 with wireless.app.bin 0.3

:o amazing how you guys got this to work!!

Then I started to fidle around a bit and now my WD TV keeps crashing. I now have a green screen of death but can still telnet in. So lets try a reboot by telnet.

Ok, reboot got me up and running again.
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

March 30, 2009, 01:33:38 PM
Reply #52

Jackman

Hi si anyone using a usb disk and a usb wlan simultainously ? Or are you guys streaming dataover the network for networks disks?

March 30, 2009, 01:36:11 PM
Reply #53

draadloos

;D I got this setup:

on my network (a dead cheap SWEEX LC000070 wireless router), hardwired:
-NAS, WD Mybook World Edition with I guess, a samba share of 500gb
-PC with regular HD inside
and wireless:
-LAPTOP
-and tada: WDTV with ext3-boot-0.8.7.2 & wireless.app.bin 0.3 and ZD1211b usb stick by ICIDU

I fixed net.mounts to show my PC, the WD Mybook World Edition and LAPTOP:
xmount //192.168.123.179/SharedDocs PC cifs user=xxx
xmount //192.168.123.157/SharedDocs LAPTOP cifs user=xxx
xmount //192.168.123.123/public NAS1 cifs user=xxx,pass=xxx

So far I disabled all security on the router for ease of setup. Will try with WEP later.
I can see all mounted shares on PC, NAS and LAPTOP with files and subfolders.
 8)I am watching a movie Miami Vice in XVID  **wireless** without any problems.

The movie is about 800MB;s:
>  陴眾    AUDiO......[ MP3 48000Hz 112kb/s CBR (2 chnls)                    陴眾
>  陴眾    ViDEO......[ 727 kbps XviD  23.976 FPS                            陴眾
>  陴眾    Q. FRAME...[ 0.223 bits*pixel                                     陴眾
>  陴眾    RESOLUTiON.[ 580 x 234 (2.479 (57:23))                            陴眾
>  陴眾    XViD DATE..[ 11/10/2006                                           陴眾
>  陴眾    SUBS.......[ None                                                 陴眾
>  陴眾    FiLES......[ 1                                                    陴眾
>  陰掖    SiZE.......[ 799 MB                                               陰掖
>  陸偃    SOURCE.....[ NTSC DVD  
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

March 30, 2009, 01:39:38 PM
Reply #54

3dxr

• Global Moderator

3dxr,

I don't think that the speed is the problem, because this behavior occurs only when using WPA. If I use no encryption, it works just fine (ping ok, no kernel messages).
Also, when AP is using WPA all the other wireless devices on my network work ok (no interference, etc... Used kismet to choose a good channel).

The messages and network-hiccups with WPA occurs every 3 to 6 seconds... so my messages.txt is flooded with this..

Anyone else is using wireless with WPA?? Any messages in messages.txt?

Try WEP64 Wpa_supplicant should be issue

March 30, 2009, 01:47:15 PM
Reply #55

shadow

Hi si anyone using a usb disk and a usb wlan simultainously ? Or are you guys streaming dataover the network for networks disks?

I'm using:

WDTV USB1 -> Seagate 1TB (3.5" with external power supply)
 WDTV USB2 -> USB HUB (4 PORTS)

USB HUB PORT1 -> Sandisk 256M - Pendrive (ext3-8.7.2)
 USB HUB PORT3 -> D-Link DWA-110

All working fine so far.

March 30, 2009, 02:39:03 PM
Reply #56

Jackman

I'm using:

WDTV USB1 -> Seagate 1TB (3.5" with external power supply)
 WDTV USB2 -> USB HUB (4 PORTS)

USB HUB PORT1 -> Sandisk 256M - Pendrive (ext3-8.7.2)
 USB HUB PORT3 -> D-Link DWA-110

K so in general youuse the USB memory as a "boot disk" adn the rest goes over a HUB that is powered..k and the unit that need extra power is then powered themself..
Gets to be a lot of cables and wiers. Not as neat as the origianl thing.

And also the toal price rice quite a lot, WDTV+USBHUB+WLAN...

Not to be negative because I love the fact that someone cna make additional features with the firmware. but what is now with your solution the big diffrence between a POPCORN adn the WDTV?
Sorry for my incompetens..

:D

March 30, 2009, 03:51:47 PM
Reply #57

shadow

@ rezmus
 @3dxr

shadow: i'm using wpa-psk on rt73 based wlan without such probs, but i don;t force wpa2 and ccmp algo.

Try WEP64 Wpa_supplicant should be issue

Thanks for your help, everything is working now with WPA2-PSK and AES.

As rezmus said everything is working on his rt73, I decided to make a fresh new start on mine.. Maybe I'd broke something during my previous tests  :-[.. So I erased the pen drive, installed ext3-8.7.2 and wireless 0.3... AND set a wpa_supplicant conf that does NOT force WPA2 and CCMP (thanks rezmus for this one  ;) ). Then, power up, and everything worked!!!! No more hiccups or kernel messages!!

When I got some transfers stats I'll post then!

Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!  ;D

March 30, 2009, 10:15:27 PM
Reply #58

rezmus

Gets to be a lot of cables and wiers. Not as neat as the origianl thing.

And also the toal price rice quite a lot, WDTV+USBHUB+WLAN...

Not to be negative because I love the fact that someone cna make additional features with the firmware. but what is now with your solution the big diffrence between a POPCORN adn the WDTV?
Sorry for my incompetens..

there is no need for hub, some ppl use:

- usb hdd to boot up (with small fat32 partition for firmware, and ext2 for data)
- (w)lan usb

also when u buy pch u have to pay extra for wlan stick right? so the only difference in price is difference between pch and wdtv price.

shadow: i've got arround 12mbps, saw zorander had same.

March 30, 2009, 11:35:49 PM
Reply #59

peterskeetero

Hey shadow thats great news !

So would your wpa_supplicant look like this now ?

network={
   ssid=yyyyyyyyyyy
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   psk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
}

thx
WDTV , ext3-boot release 0.8.7.2, DWA-110 wireless usb nic, 2TB JBOD enclosure.