Author Topic: Just watched the new STAR TREK MOVIE  (Read 3230 times)

May 01, 2009, 11:26:15 AM
Read 3230 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
A little off topic but,

I had the good fortune to see the new movie over at Paramount this week.  I have to say that I was totally blown away. 
I think this movie is probably the best Star Trek film of all time.   Yes, I liked it better than Khan! There is a ton of special effects and yet they never seem overdone. 

I would not have thought it possible, but the new cast is perfect, and the rapport they have forging their friendships works very well. I didn't think I would like the Kirk character but he played it perfectly without trying to emulate Shatner.  Spock is of course excellent.  Scotty comes in midway and is not used enough, but has some great lines.  Bones is the standout surprise for me because he is a major character and he nails it. The story had me hooked from the moment they leave Starfleet.  The pacing is great and it never lets up.

The sound in this movie is also insane.  See it in a good theater if you can because there are a lot of really loud effects.  They re-did all the phaser and photon torpedo sounds and they are really sharp. 

I knew JJ Abrams would likely make a good movie, but I was not prepared for it to be as good as it was.  It is not really a Star Trek movie so much as it is just a great Sci-Fi movie.   I highly recommend you see it. 

This will make an excellent reference disk when the Blu-Ray comes out.  I can't wait to play it on my WDTV when it comes out!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:02:32 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 01, 2009, 04:23:03 PM
Reply #1

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

ok, that one I am jealous of =) It screens here in Germany in about a week but only in German and probably with a lousy translation.

However, I'm waiting excitingly for it. So far JJ Abrams hasn't disappointed me one bit with any of his  television shows and movies.
From the clips I have seen so far the acting of at least Quinto as Spock seems very fitting, he had about two seasons to learn to act like a cold hearted psycho, he can probably put a lot from that role in Spock.

At least it will be an interesting take on the Star Trek franchise. I hope the original vision and values of Star Trek are kept in the movie and that it is also a little less "trekkie" than the last ones in order to make it appeal to non-regulars.

Well, I'll give a real comment after I have seen it in both, english and german.

ciao,
elm

May 06, 2009, 06:42:20 AM
Reply #2

TerrorByte

Hi,
ok, that one I am jealous of =) It screens here in Germany in about a week but only in German and probably with a lousy translation.

If you know any Americans that are on a military base, try to get them to get you into the theater, or find Orginal verfassung, they played them all the time in Bamberg.

May 09, 2009, 04:36:44 AM
Reply #3

sparky909

Ive seen it in the UK at a well setup theatre. As said, the execution/effects and sound, and pace of action are all spot on. However, i really came out of it thinking altho its a "good" movie, it wasnt "great" and didnt live up to the potential. Some interesting twists, but the storyline really isnt up to scratch by the time it hit the second half. For that reason i came out alittle under par on the movie. Altho i will defo buy it on BluRay.

Not as good as Watchmen.

May 09, 2009, 08:03:25 AM
Reply #4

schlotz

• OneShotsphoto
Watched it last night in theater.  Personally thought is was quite well done.  Very entertaining, plot was good.  Action sceens very good.  Suggest you try this:  Clear your mind of the attempt to compare, go into it as a new scfi movie previewer.  It really help me concentrate on the movie and judge it on its own merits.  We loved it!  Going back tonight to see it a second time.

May 09, 2009, 08:44:40 AM
Reply #5

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

I saw it a few days ago in a preview and well, as a scifi movie aficionado I think is was a highlight (did not expect anything else from JJ Abrams), as a hardcore Star Trek fan I found it a bit disappointing (hardcore: meaning somewhere between knowing all movies / shows by heart and speaking Klingon).

(warning, some spoilers from here)

As a scifi movie in general there is of course: intense plot, excellent special F/X, nice action, etc. I especially liked that they did no reset at the end as many others probably would have done (i.e. Vulcan stays destroyed).

Now, when one includes Star Trek as an aspect:

The acting was very fitting, I liked Quinto's performance, I think this movie will help him make the break from the small to the big screen. Kirk and McCoy were casted well to. I'm not sure about Scotty, haven't watched the TOS shows in a while, but maybe he is kind of goofy. The dynamic between them mirrored what Gene Roddenberry did with the TOS and they played these scenes very well out. You get the impression of Kirk as the ladies man and heat headed young man that he was supposed to be at that time.

The story itself of course is no Star Trek at all, where is the moral? Where is the ethical discussion?
The humorous references to other Star Trek movies / shows however were placed very well.

There are other things that absolutely do not fit in, but they are minor
  • Spock / Uhuru
  • dates and history
  • travel times
  • etc.
All in all, excellent scifi, mediocre Star Trek. I hope it opens the way for a Star Trek series in the rebooted universe that keeps up the Star Trek values.

ciao,
elm

May 11, 2009, 08:26:31 AM
Reply #6

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
All in all, excellent scifi, mediocre Star Trek. I hope it opens the way for a Star Trek series in the rebooted universe that keeps up the Star Trek values.

ciao,
elm

I was wondering how they'd pull off more star trek movies having this one be a prequel so close to the original line...well now I know, they've rebooted into another alternate timeline so that now they can completely remake all trek movies and throw away everything thats been done so far. This is the age of remakes.

but I liked it, scottys 'dog' was pretty funny ;D