Author Topic: Apple Filing Protocol in unofficial firmwares?  (Read 1072 times)

April 10, 2010, 08:52:22 PM
Read 1072 times

Is there an unofficial firmware with Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)? I'd having a difficult time with the official firmware (1.02.21) that uses SMB on my Mac's. I have a 2.5" USB drive with a HFS+ volume and a GUID partition map connected to the WDTV Live and a Cat6 cable to my router. WDTV Live has a manually assigned IP, set the WDTV Live to be shared with an auto login. I mount the volume on my Mac's without problem but when I copy a file my system hangs for 10 mins with nothing copied to the drive. I turn the WD TV Live off with the remotes power button and the device won't turn back on, altho the USB led is lit. I'm forced to power cycle the WD by removing the AC plug. After that I can usually copy but at a poor rate of 1MB/sec over the wire.

If I could get a firmware with AFP I think i'd have a better chance of a working share setup with my Mac's. I don't have the 'Start - Run' computers explained here sometimes.

I saw the unofficial firmware feature list but I really don't want or need all that extra stuff which is mostly bloated (double size of official) by the addition of all the extra applets. I only want to reliably transfer video to the WD's connected USB drive and then play the video off the USB drive from the WD nothing else. I know the Linux kernel supports AFP so I'm wondering if this has been loaded in the unofficial firmwares? Perhaps an official Firmware for Mac environments could be released with AFP enabled. SMB performs pretty poorly compared to AFP from my experience and it's unreliable.

April 11, 2010, 07:10:28 AM
Reply #1

warchild

AFP would be nice especially since 10.6.3 broke some of the SMB characteristics. You can try using MuCommander, a free ware File Manager. It circumvents the SMB issues and might handle your issues (which I've never at all experieinced and I also use HFS drives)