Author Topic: I don't want to compress my dvd files  (Read 5237 times)

April 06, 2010, 04:46:01 PM
Read 5237 times

jammoca

Hi all,

I'm completely brand new to WDTV Media Player, and have spent the last 10 hours reading forum chat on how to rip dvds etc, but am a bit bamboozled.

I have a 2TB external hard drive and am about to purchase another, so storage space isn't really an issue, so for that reason I'm not interested in compressing my dvds to save space before use on WDTV Media Player.

All I want to do is rip my dvds, store them on my external hard drives and play them on my tv via wdtv media player. If I can have the capacity to skip chapters while viewing, then great, but if not, no sweat.

Other than using DVD Decrypter, I don't want to confuse myself with any other things that I've read others talking about.

So ...  with this simplicity (and no file-compression in mind), what's the best series of steps to follow to get a dvd onto my external hard-drive in a format that the wdtv media player can use without loss of quality ? I'm confused whether I'm supposed to use ISO (Read) or FILE.

April 06, 2010, 11:30:05 PM
Reply #1

twisty

G'day jammoca,

Use Mode/ISO/Read to create a complete .iso with DVD Decrypter (warnings, option screens, the lot).  Use IFO mode to to copy movie only to VIDEO_TS folder (.vob with 1gig limit).  Use file to copy the lot to VIDEO_TS folder.

Try DVD Shrink.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:35:44 PM by twisty »
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

April 07, 2010, 04:38:11 AM
Reply #2

jammoca

What are you suggesting I use DVD Shrink for? Does it compress the movie size, because if so, remember, I'm not wanting to compress the size. Storage size is not an issue, I just want to get my dvds onto my external hard-drive in a format that WDTV Media Player can use to display.

I didn't understand all that you said ...  it sounds like Mode/ISO/Read and FILE do the same thing, in that at the end, they both have a complete set of everything, not just the movie.

So, I guess I'm asking, when would I use one Mode/ISO/Read and when would I use FILE ??

April 07, 2010, 08:49:18 PM
Reply #3

twisty

I'm suggesting you could use DVD Shrink to create your .iso files.  It CAN compress, but you don't have too.  I find it simple and flexible for creating movie only .iso files.

FILE creates a copy of all the DVD files in .vob format in your chosen folder (normally moviename/VIDEO_TS) on the HDD of your choice.  Use this if you intend further editing/compression.

ISO/Read creates a copy of all the DVD files in an .iso (disc image) file in your chosen folder on the HDD of your choice.  Use this if you don't intend further editing/compression.  Of course you'll get everything (as mentioned above), that's why I mentioned DVD Shrink as you can easily select "movie only" for the .iso.
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

April 07, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
Reply #4

oposky2006

Hi jammoca,
   i think u need to use Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper which can rip dvd off and convert dvd to mkv format WDTV favors. It will not compress your output file, so u need not to worry about the quality loss. It is easy to use. Just need to add your dvd, choose mkv as output format, click "convert", then Done. And the speed it also reasonable.
Have a try.
Good luck.

April 07, 2010, 11:31:50 PM
Reply #5

jammoca

Thanks guys, but Twisty, my WDTV Media Player doesn't seem to be recognising my ISO files.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I supposed to convert my ISO file to something else before getting the media player to look at it ?

I've read your other posts on related topics and admit to understanding only some of it. I'm getting sporadic success with DVD Decrypter, using ISO, IFO and FILE, but it seems that I'm doing something terribly wrong.

I'm trying to get my head around the language that seems to go with ripping and decrypting dvds, but I think I I'm missing that portion of the brain.

April 08, 2010, 08:54:44 PM
Reply #6

twisty

jammoca,

What language don't you understand?  Perhaps we could build a glossary together.  Others just starting may find that useful too.  I'm not sure why your WDTV won't play .iso.  More detail would be good.  eg. soft/firmware versions, HDD format (NTFS, Ext3 etc), .iso details with Mediainfo.

April 12, 2010, 05:26:14 AM
Reply #7

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
I had a few ISOs that wouldn't play, and it would have been created using either DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink.  I would suggest trying a different program.  If you've tried both of those, try DVDFab or a free trial version of one of the paid-for programs.

Having said that, I'm convinced I have one ISO that used to not play but today it does (and I've not re-ripped it).  Can't think why that would be, perhaps adding new firmware (MSheet?) or somesuch.

Have you tried it again after doing a power-off/on?
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

April 15, 2010, 04:11:16 AM
Reply #8

mufc

Use DVD Shrink first if that will not work I use DVD Decrypter to rip to folders (movie only) then use Shrink to get to iso. I use no compression at all. Using DVD Shrink I can remove everything I do not want including credits etc.All my isos work perfectly keeping either Dolby Digital or DTS. I have the regular WD TV , not the live version. Love it to bits. Only wish it supported DD HD sound etc found on Blue Ray.

April 20, 2010, 01:55:37 AM
Reply #9

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Shrink and Decrypter both work well and in the case of Shrink is nice and easy to use.  However I have had a few DVDs (the more recent releases) which these two programs have not been able to decrypt, so I've had to use DVDFab for those.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

May 03, 2010, 04:07:48 AM
Reply #10

mufc

Sorry when I say Decrypter I meant DVDFab HD Decrypter. Sorry for any confusion

May 05, 2010, 04:32:22 PM
Reply #11

subslug

Wonder why no mention of MakeMKV in this whole thread?

No encoding, no encryption just good ole straight DVD dump to an MKV file in all it's glory.
Might not get all the menus and extras from the disc but, you can create those as separate files if they're must haves.

June 26, 2010, 09:08:29 AM
Reply #12

angry button

Magic DVD Ripper
Suprised nobody seems to use Magic DVD Ripper, an excellent little piece of software for ripping DVD's
It can do a lossless covert to mpg file with locked audio to avoid lip sync issues, remove region, protection etc
It's support is excellent, it's easy to remove all the junk to get just the film and my i5-750 @ 4.0ghz will do this
in 5mins.
Other options include conversion to a number of other compressed formats and fit to 4.7gb disc etc.
Only drawback is no Bluray yet but you get nice simple mpg's, one file per film, no wrappers or geeky knowledge
give it a try.....