Author Topic: 1.02.07 Now WD's official software  (Read 3947 times)

April 30, 2009, 10:00:57 PM
Read 3947 times

sda

Well.
Looks like WD has ignored all  bug reports for the above beta version, and has released it as official.
All this fuss, and all the extensive testing..............
All for nothing.

All Mr GutWD has to say is : This firmware is identical to the prereleased 1.02.07.

Bravo WD

April 30, 2009, 10:26:59 PM
Reply #1

3dxr

• Global Moderator

hey look at this from other side

not all endusers know about prerelease versions or they will only upgrade to official stable version
and latest official version was 1.1.02 upgrading to 1.2.07 is providing to other users more features
for me is working fine fw1.2.07 there are much more improved artworks but its true device is slower :(

April 30, 2009, 10:29:35 PM
Reply #2

byte0468

The Readme.txt content is from the prerelease version.

April 30, 2009, 10:49:28 PM
Reply #3

sda

hey look at this from other side

not all endusers know about prerelease versions or they will only upgrade to official stable version
and latest official version was 1.1.02 upgrading to 1.2.07 is providing to other users more features
for me is working fine fw1.2.07 there are much more improved artworks but its true device is slower :(

Well, at the end of the day, I think that everybody would want to press "play"  to watch a movie (the reason it was bought??), and if shutters, stalls, looses sync using subtitles (yes we do have those sort of people), hmmm.... I think I could live without the artwork and the outlines :)

But I think that WD's problem's will start now, as it is released official.
With us (betatesters-hobbyists) it is no major problem, but tell a typical Greek user that had missing letters in his subtitles, and now besides that (it took 4-5 beta versions and still stands), his movie shutters and stalls and his subs flash...

Cheers

May 01, 2009, 01:02:16 AM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
There may always be bugs.  This official release has vast improvements over previous releases.  To share it with everyone makes perfect sense.
To say "All for Nothing" is both childish and ignorant.  Assuming WD has ignored anything is additionally foolish. 
Most people can "push play and watch their movies"

Stop wining!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 01, 2009, 04:31:35 AM
Reply #5

GreenDream

Stop wining!

Some people just don't know how to stop whining. 1.02.07 is a big improvement over 1.01.02, IMO. For me (and for most *average* users, i suspect) it is a very stable and reliable FW that plays most files and formats flawlessly. Is it perfect? no, of course not. Is there room for improvement? yes and I suspect we'll see new beta releases in the future as the fw moves to 1.03.xx

May 01, 2009, 01:19:03 PM
Reply #6

sda

There may always be bugs.  This official release has vast improvements over previous releases.  To share it with everyone makes perfect sense.
To say "All for Nothing" is both childish and ignorant.  Assuming WD has ignored anything is additionally foolish. 

Stop wining!

Stop whining for for what?
I've never asked for refinements, nor extras.
Is it too much to ask to fix basic issues regarding the subtitles?
For you these issues are probably non-existant, the reason you are pissed off about my criticism, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist.

WD has not listened to anything regarding the subtitle issues, otherwise they would either have addressed the issue or fixed it. We are talking about 4-5 intermediate releases before this last official one.

Cheers

May 01, 2009, 01:39:22 PM
Reply #7

sda

As for the "All for nothing" , yes it still stands from my point of view.
I have made almost a dozen posts regarding subtitles, not to mention the numerous other members addressing this same issue.
Not even one word from WD either acknowledging it or even stating that something is done towards fixing it.

May 01, 2009, 01:43:29 PM
Reply #8

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

WD has not listened to anything regarding the subtitle issues

WD has implemented improvements with the subtitles in EVERY beta release.  In fact I would say it is what they have been focusing on most!

You tone is not in keeping with this forum.  Either be constructive or go away.

This is your last warning sda.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 01, 2009, 02:13:19 PM
Reply #9

sda

WD has not listened to anything regarding the subtitle issues

WD has implemented improvements with the subtitles in EVERY beta release.  In fact I would say it is what they have been focusing on most!

You tone is not in keeping with this forum.  Either be constructive or go away.

This is your last warning sda.

Do as you please mate.
But why can't you also respect my view?
I only asked for these past 4 months to fix something that was wrong.

And I don't need warnings, too old for that
You want to ban me?
Go ahead.

May 01, 2009, 02:21:44 PM
Reply #10

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I respect everyone's view.

As long as that view is presented respectfully.

Just keep that in mind. Mate.

May 01, 2009, 03:26:22 PM
Reply #11

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I respect everyone's view.

As long as that view is presented respectfully.

Just keep that in mind. Mate.

I am kidding on this thread Jay leave sda here alone
We known many bug/wishes from monkeyface666's list was added and improved in next releases.
but each feature open new bugs WD is now not adding new features only fixing existing code. for example
last 2 releases fixing long time issues
- slow start
- HDMI handshaking
- usb power for hdd.
- syncing issues

but this is not impotant for sda I see -
He can add rendered subtitles to movie and he will have subtitles without problems everywhere :-D
so this is my last post in this thread I will not add any post here anymore.

May 04, 2009, 01:50:22 AM
Reply #12

aoprea

if we are lucky then we can push and play

but .... mostly we are NOT   beacause we have to do:
- ripping dvd's in single files (episodes, extras, subtitles, audio tracks) ... etc etc
- converting dts to ac3
- converting srt to idx/sub (to increase font size biger than 40), or missing greek, arabic
... etc etc

and after we do that we have to sleep ... and dreaming about movies

very nice...

May 04, 2009, 02:43:07 AM
Reply #13

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

I'm generally don't like to join those conversations, but what the hell, its a forum =)

if we are lucky then we can push and play

but .... mostly we are NOT   beacause we have to do:
- ripping dvd's in single files (episodes, extras, subtitles, audio tracks) ... etc etc
- converting dts to ac3
- converting srt to idx/sub (to increase font size biger than 40), or missing greek, arabic
... etc etc

and after we do that we have to sleep ... and dreaming about movies

very nice...

I think Jay hits it on the point. Considering that there are a lot of WD TV devices sold, I don't know any numbers, but considering
  • an amazon rank of 47 in the USA, which is right up there with a lot of ipods
  • an Amazon rank of 6 in Germany
  • lots and lots of other countries and, more important, distributions channels

there are probably a few tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands. And most people, IMHO a percentage larger than 99.some nines, has no problems with the stuff. I dare to postulate that only a few people even know and care about DTS and subtitle support. (And if they really care about DTS they also have a receiver that can decode it, because wanting DTS and playing it via the TV's stereo speakers is like wanting a Porsche to drive it in the Himalaya).

Of course, if you have a use case as described above for example (a storage device for DVDs) then you might have a problem, but that's not a primary design goal of the WDTV. There are other devices that take care of that (but lack the capabilities of the WDTV).

Now, speaking from my experience with the WD TV and format support. Before, I should probably say that I'm a huge movie and TV series fan. My digitalized collection goes into several terabytes and contains everything from downloaded TV series (in a multitude of formats), over self ripped DVDs and BluRays to my Music and Photo collection. In short, I think I have more different formats and media then the average user. The only real issue I walked upon is the DTS support. But converting a movie from DTS and adding an AC3 track takes one click (command) and about 10 minutes. Any subtitles I tested worked (btw: why don't have good foreign movies at least an English translation =).

There are always some use cases that a device will not fulfill or not fulfill perfectly, if you don't get that: wake up and welcome to the 21st century (this is generic, no personal affront =).

ciao,
elm

May 05, 2009, 12:50:10 AM
Reply #14

ruicor

Hi there.
You are taking this matter as a minor issue, but it isn't. The true is that many 1080p - DTS - Ext subs films are stuttering. IF you turn the subs off, it becomes normal again, So SDA i understand you perfectely.
A friend of mine as muxed the legends inside the MKV instead of leaving them externely, and now the films stopped stuttering.
So for all you folks having this problem you only have two ways, use ssa legends in FW 1.01.02 or put your legends inside your MKV's in this last FW.

Best regards from Portugal.