Author Topic: WDTV LIVE Software Update 1.02.21 User Experiences  (Read 72902 times)

April 02, 2010, 12:23:07 AM
Reply #30

data68

I DON'T LIKE
- the german translation - it's a joke! I would help you if you let me!

So it is. Some things I remember:
  • "Composite" in German is also called "Composite" or simply "Video", not "Bauelemente" (which means "construction elements")
  • "bit" in German is also called "bit", not "bisschen" (which means "a little bit")

For me the most biggest issue is the fixed frame-rate. IMHO there would be three possibilities:
  • Auto really means what it sounds like
  • New possibility "native", which means: always use the frame-rate of the video files
  • If sel to "23.976" the playback frame-rate is able to switch to 50 or 60hz, if necessary

April 02, 2010, 02:14:32 AM
Reply #31

miami_eis

On my system AC3 audio is in perfect sync with the video. I tend to think that is a matter of encoding of your files, has nothing to do with the digital output itself.

has nothing to do with the encoding. These files play perfectly on any other MediaPlayer...i tried the HDX1000 and the old popcorn hour of friends of mine. Also, all files play fine on the PC. 

April 02, 2010, 02:17:38 AM
Reply #32

Josh

Network support is not so important to me, because I always use an external hard drive to watch videos or listen to music...
...But I don't understand, why there is no support for chapters in mp4 or m4v files. In mkv files it workes perfectly, are mp4/m4v videos  so different, that a chapter support is not possible?

April 02, 2010, 02:21:27 AM
Reply #33

Tetram

I really do not understand why they don't implement a simple and smart external subtitles placing algorithm like this:

--------------   ------------------     -------------------

first line 1/2
                         first line 1/2              second line 2/2
one line subs        second line 2/2          third line 3/3
--------------   ------------------     -------------------

I have something like that in my old Yamada DVD player and it really works well...

Actually, it does work like this... How do you think it works ?

April 02, 2010, 03:45:14 AM
Reply #34

timeey

On my system AC3 audio is in perfect sync with the video. I tend to think that is a matter of encoding of your files, has nothing to do with the digital output itself.

The files are absoluty fine. The old wdtv (gen1 - i switched from gen1 to live with direct comparison) was perfect sync, while the WDTV live is not. AVR audio delay has to be changed to oldvalue + ~70-100ms, then it seems to be sync. And if you set AudioOutput to stereo the same files also perfect in sync on the live (with the same set and cables, no change in avr delay necessary). ;)

April 02, 2010, 04:17:58 AM
Reply #35

ro8inmorgan

There is 2 things we need

Audio sync option (that we can delay or advance the audio track compared to the video) Because not every tv or audio system processes its signals at the same speed.

And most important.
We need an option where you can tell the WDTV live to output video in its native fps. Now all Auto does is output at 1080p/60hz. I heard popcorn hour nicely matches its video hz output to the fps of the video file.. Why WD cannot do this? The worst is if you dont know the fps of your video and you just have to try all modes until you find the one that doesn't juddder :|

April 02, 2010, 05:27:55 AM
Reply #36

presby

I upgraded last night and it went smooth, except like other on the forum all of the cover art for my folders dissappered I have a folder for each movie. I named the folder the cover art .jpg and the movie all the exact same name and it worked perfectly, after the upgrade it shows a blank folder no more cover art in thumbnail mode.  I did  find a work around, by naming the .jpg inside of the folder, folder.jpg and the cover art appears again, this is a real pain though as I now have to rename all 600 of my movie cover art to folder.jpg.  Thanks alot WD.

April 02, 2010, 06:35:18 AM
Reply #37

Whoheart

I upgraded last night and it went smooth, except like other on the forum all of the cover art for my folders dissappered I have a folder for each movie. I named the folder the cover art .jpg and the movie all the exact same name and it worked perfectly, after the upgrade it shows a blank folder no more cover art in thumbnail mode.  I did  find a work around, by naming the .jpg inside of the folder, folder.jpg and the cover art appears again, this is a real pain though as I now have to rename all 600 of my movie cover art to folder.jpg.  Thanks alot WD.
Wasn't that how it is supposed to work?
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

April 02, 2010, 08:34:37 AM
Reply #38

metalhead

Hello WD,

I applied the beta 1.02.19 fiirmware on the day it came up and it worked great for me.  Nnetwork share access was much faster with the beta firmware.  I no longer had to wait 5-10 minutes to acess the shared folders on my PC after every reboot.  I was a happy WD user....

I apllied the offical 1.02.21 yesterday, network share access went back to the same behavior of older firmware.  It is slow in connecting.  I have to wait a while before I can access the shares while YouTube works instantly after reboot.  Why is thiss happening while we expect the "greatest" in the "latest"?

I still have the 1.02.19 beta firmware so i will down grade back to 1.02.19 today.

April 02, 2010, 08:50:24 AM
Reply #39

presby

Actually yes, it is supposed to work both ways, if the system can not find a file named folder.jpg, then it is supposed to use the fisrt .jpg file found in the directory, in my case I named the .jpg the same as the movie and that worked just fine until the latest upgrade.  And to speak to your quip about whining in the forum, "If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer." the forum asks for user experinces with the new firmware upgrade, well, I upgraded and this was my experience.  What is the problem?

April 02, 2010, 09:52:15 AM
Reply #40

dmarin

usb hub dont work ... I have 2 MyBooks connected over hub and only one is detected... with b-rad firmware it works fine.

April 02, 2010, 11:35:40 AM
Reply #41

Whoheart

Actually yes, it is supposed to work both ways, if the system can not find a file named folder.jpg, then it is supposed to use the fisrt .jpg file found in the directory, in my case I named the .jpg the same as the movie and that worked just fine until the latest upgrade. 

I know how it worked but are we sure that is how it was SUPPOSED to work. It doesn't entirely make sense to me that it would do it that way. However if its a bug i'm sure they'll fix it again.

And to speak to your quip about whining in the forum

That is my current signature - its appended to all the posts i make.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

April 02, 2010, 03:55:15 PM
Reply #42

SCADA.30

When I turned on my WDTV Live today and saw that there was a new firmware upgrade, I thought to myself...SWEET.

Then I upgraded, and noticed that none of my thumbnails are working now, and I thought to myself....FUK!

Did everyone lose their thumbnails or is it on a few of us?

April 02, 2010, 04:31:32 PM
Reply #43

Whoheart

When I turned on my WDTV Live today and saw that there was a new firmware upgrade, I thought to myself...SWEET.

Then I upgraded, and noticed that none of my thumbnails are working now, and I thought to myself....FUK!

If you read the thread you'll see others have had some problems.
Is it folder thumbnails? You need to call them folder.jpg

April 02, 2010, 04:51:42 PM
Reply #44

SCADA.30

If you read the thread you'll see others have had some problems.
Is it folder thumbnails? You need to call them folder.jpg
Yeah, I did read the thread...That is why I asked if everyone lost their thumbnails or if it was just the few of us that posted it.

Yes it is folder thumbnails...And I already had them named folder.jpg