Author Topic: Fixing DTS dropouts and converting DTS to AC3 on MKVs  (Read 21686 times)

April 12, 2009, 03:39:33 AM
Reply #15

adidas

HI ,

It workes !!! i followed the instructions and i made it .
Thanks X 1,000,000 times , especially to bazmondo and jayallan .

April 12, 2009, 04:42:39 AM
Reply #16

franks

• DeSpammer

... Most people don't need to convert the files. As long as you have a DTS decoder you are fine.

You mean a DTS decoder as in, one on your computer and is used when you have the original DVD yourself and you want to rip it to MKV with DTS+AC3 audio?

I am talking about home theaters.  Most cheap receivers have a DTS decoder.  You can buy them for next to nothing.  No one I know who has any sort of home entertainment center does not have DTS capability.   I know there are receivers out there that do not have DTS decoding, but you can buy one for under $100 that has it.  Anyone who cares at all about the sound coming from their movies runs their audio to a receiver and then to speakers.  To use the TV speakers is not an option for quality sound.  And if quality is not important than DTS is not important either.

I have a DVD player/sound system (Philips) that has DTS decoding in it.  Unfortunately, it does not allow the connection of external devices via digital cables.  I have my Philips unit hooked to the TV via HDMI and the WDTV hooked to the TV via HDMI, but audio from the TV comes via composite/RCA cables.  I'll have to look at a receiver once the economy straightens out.

April 13, 2009, 10:20:10 AM
Reply #17

Shake

Anyone find a Mac equivalent yet? My roommate has a PC but it would just be so much easier...

May 08, 2009, 01:58:32 AM
Reply #18

sparky909

Ive tried playing back MKV with DTS on 0203beta and the DTS causes the whole MKV to freeze up. Apparently the solution to this is to tsmuxer the whole thing to m2ts files and use them instead.

Does anyone know if the conversoin to AC3/DTS as muted in this thread acheives the same thing (e.g. keeps the DTS sound and allows WDTV to pipe it out without hurting the MKV?). Would rather have a simple solution without need to tsmuser or convert in any way but not sure if thats resolveing in a later firmware.

May 17, 2009, 10:00:38 AM
Reply #19

11neal

Jayallan,

I am new to wdtv (purch yst) and saw yr mail for converting dts - ac3 format using the mediafire s/w. Although it's very easy to use which is very good in my case when I go to play the reformated movie in ac3 I'm still not getting the sound and it's coming up with "digital" at the top of the screen.

Have you or anyone else come across this and do you have any suggestions to remedy??

Thanks

Neal

May 17, 2009, 12:11:57 PM
Reply #20

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
..when I go to play the reformated movie in ac3 I'm still not getting the sound and it's coming up with "digital" at the top of the screen.

How is your WDTV hooked to your speakers?   Try the stereo setting and analog in the sound menu.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 22, 2009, 05:23:55 AM
Reply #21

CallMeBruce

Jayallan,

I am new to wdtv (purch yst) and saw yr mail for converting dts - ac3 format using the mediafire s/w. Although it's very easy to use which is very good in my case when I go to play the reformated movie in ac3 I'm still not getting the sound and it's coming up with "digital" at the top of the screen.

Have you or anyone else come across this and do you have any suggestions to remedy??

Thanks

Neal

Click on the options button when you're playing the file and at the top of the screen you'll have a new sub menu which will allow you to switch between audio track 1 or 2. 

I use PopCorn MKV AudioConverter to convert all my DTS files to AC3 and it works flawlessly.  You can set it up to retain the DTS file in addition to the AC3 audio track. 

December 06, 2009, 05:34:29 AM
Reply #22

busta1

hi i have downloaded the programe you suggested but do not understand how to work it could you please help me understand how to do it thanx

December 07, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
Reply #23

Eric

• Personal Text
    aThId
I take back my words...when it reaches to 100% , after the eact3o , delaycut and mkvtoolnix processes , it gives me a .NET Framework Error and in it's details is this:

"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.FileInfo.MoveTo(String destFileName)
   at WindowsApplication1.EZmkvDTStoAC3.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EZmkvDTStoAC3
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Desktop/diF/MKV%20Stuff/EZmkvDTStoAC3v1.1/EZmkvDTStoAC3.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

I have SP3 with 1.0 framework installed and also frameworks 2.0 and 3.0 for SP2 (looks like this is a 2.0 sp2 framework problem)
I tried uninstalling the 2.0 framework but it says that will affect other programs..and it doens't allow me to uninstall it.
HELP PLEASE!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:37:11 PM by Eric »
WDTV Media Player 1.03 Firmware TV:Philips 47" 1080pFullHD.Audio:from WDTV through HDMI to TV speakers or from WDTV through Toslink optical cable to Panasonic Home Cinema

December 08, 2009, 01:29:06 PM
Reply #24

Eric

• Personal Text
    aThId
Can you please help me with my framework error?
WDTV Media Player 1.03 Firmware TV:Philips 47" 1080pFullHD.Audio:from WDTV through HDMI to TV speakers or from WDTV through Toslink optical cable to Panasonic Home Cinema

December 08, 2009, 05:00:08 PM
Reply #25

watchman

@Eric
I had the same problems and don't like to mess around with .NET errors that will come up with every .NET update.

Here is a workaround that will do the job in either case:
1. Download mkvtoolnix (www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix), tsmuxer (www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR) and eac3toGUI (www.digital-digest.com/software/EAC3toGUI.html) and install the programs into a single directory
2. Open tsmuxer and load your mkv file
3. uncheck everything but the DTS stream and select it
4. use the output option "Demux" and set a filename for the DTS file and "start demuxing"

After the task has finished

5. open eac3toGUI: Under "settings", you have to enter the path to eac3to.exe (only once)
6. Load the DTS file and check the output file name/directory
7. For best results set AC3 bitrate to 640 kbit

After the task has finished

8. Open mkvmerger.exe (from the mkv tools)
9. Load the original mkv file and add the created ac3 file
10. In the second window - select the added ac3 file (should be the last in the stack) and push the up botton until the ac3 file is at second place
11. Change the "Standard Track Flag" in the track options to "YES" (highest priority for playback)
12. Select the language code from the dropdown selection for your ac3 file
13. Select the output name and directory and "START MUXING"

The result: you're getting the original mkv file with an added AC3 stream that plays first on file load.

December 09, 2009, 12:46:30 PM
Reply #26

Eric

• Personal Text
    aThId
I had this kind of setup before...too many things to do for only one films..and i have dozens..this program(the one with the .net error) was perfect....too bad..