Author Topic: New Feature Of Firmware 1.02.19 Play To  (Read 32839 times)

March 19, 2010, 11:26:39 PM
Reply #30

gschmidt

Hi,

Since I have installed FW 1.02.19 my Vista Laptop asks to install a driver for the WD TV Live!
Where can I find that driver? It cannot be found when I ask vista to search and install,
Finally it asks for a the WDTV Live CD????

Anyone familiar with this problem?

March 20, 2010, 02:46:15 AM
Reply #31

gschmidt

Hey Extremedigital,

Can you help me out, I have a W7 laptop, I followed your steps,
But when i send a mp3 with "play to" WDTVIVE tries to connect with mediaserver, but never pass that stage!

Howcome?

March 20, 2010, 05:22:55 AM
Reply #32

extremedigital

Hey Extremedigital,

Can you help me out, I have a W7 laptop, I followed your steps,
But when i send a mp3 with "play to" WDTVIVE tries to connect with mediaserver, but never pass that stage!

Howcome?

Hi gschmidt,  not sure why not working..... make sure all your network is called 'workgroup'

In Control Panel -->>Network And Internet -->Network and Sharing Center -->Advanced sharing setting

Turn on public  folder sharing, Turn on media streaming, Turn off password protected sharing

hopefully that will help

March 20, 2010, 05:45:17 AM
Reply #33

gschmidt

only had to turn off password protected sharing.
Does the WDTVLIVE need to select the Media server of W7?

When I try to connect in WDTVLIVE to the W7 media server it says: There is no media in current folder

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:03:08 AM by gschmidt »

March 20, 2010, 06:10:26 AM
Reply #34

extremedigital

only had to turn off password protected sharing.
Does the WDTVLIVE need to select the Media server of W7?

When I try to connect in WDTVLIVE to the W7 media server it says: There is no media in current folder

Hi gschmidt yes you need to add your media to W7 media library...the quickest way is to open media player and add the media folders to music , pictures and video...it takes a little while for it to scan all your media in

in windows 7 media player ---click on stream ---> tick allow remote control of my player and tick automatically allow devices to play my media

i hope that helps

March 20, 2010, 07:13:49 AM
Reply #35

gschmidt

As a test I added on my local disc a directory to the music library.....this plays on the laptop
but when i use play to WDTVLIVE it finds the WDTVLIVE but keeps on trying to connect???

March 20, 2010, 08:04:00 AM
Reply #36

gschmidt

I followed all your steps, still there is the connect to mediaserver problem.
Can you connect from your WDTVLIVE to the W7 Media server? because I get the error
There is no media in current folder.

is this a security error of W7 laptop?

When I share in W7 Laptop a directory of the ext3 formatted USB disk attached to my WDTVLIVE
the message is:
It is added to the library but cannot be shared!

March 20, 2010, 09:00:44 AM
Reply #37

extremedigital

I followed all your steps, still there is the connect to mediaserver problem.
Can you connect from your WDTVLIVE to the W7 Media server? because I get the error
There is no media in current folder.

is this a security error of W7 laptop?

When I share in W7 Laptop a directory of the ext3 formatted USB disk attached to my WDTVLIVE
the message is:
It is added to the library but cannot be shared!

Sounds like it's a issue with the sharing from the laptop...

Check your firewall is not blocking sharing...can you access the shared folders on a different pc / laptop on your network ?

Also check Control Panel --> Network and internet ---> Network and sharing center   you are on home network, not public

Control Panel --> System and Security --> System Workgroup is called 'workgroup'
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:06:05 AM by extremedigital »

March 21, 2010, 12:57:39 AM
Reply #38

gschmidt

Got it!!....W7 Pro does the trick!
Great feature...hihi.....

Greetzzz,

G

March 21, 2010, 08:25:04 AM
Reply #39

extremedigital

Got it!!....W7 Pro does the trick!
Great feature...hihi.....

Greetzzz,

G

Phew ...great news it is a very nice feature....next thing if you have an ipod touch try using plugplayer as the controller

March 21, 2010, 10:40:05 AM
Reply #40

Whoheart

Well "Twonkybeam" is a free plugin which works in Internet Explorer - and allows you to stream videos from youtube, or pictures etc - from the browser - you find a video and then you click on a play button bar in the browser and the WDTV Live springs into action playing it.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 21, 2010, 01:57:12 PM
Reply #41

extremedigital

Well "Twonkybeam" is a free plugin which works in Internet Explorer - and allows you to stream videos from youtube, or pictures etc - from the browser - you find a video and then you click on a play button bar in the browser and the WDTV Live springs into action playing it.

Hi Whoheart, thanks for the tip, yes i can confirm that the free Twonkybeam plugin for internet explorer does indeed work from any windows machine xp, vista or w7...very quick and easy to install and sees the 'friendly name' of the wdtv live, when you open the toolbar ...(default is WDTVLIVE)..so means you can have more than one on your network

The trick with youtube is just to do a search but NOT play the video..but 'right click' on the preview window and 'Twonkybeam To' This works even with youtube HD videos so no more need for a workaround just send from your pc. unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with quicktime so no apple trailers

For sure it seems to be using the same dlna upnp that the Windows 7 'Play To' is also using...

So far you can use:-

'Play To' to send media from any windows 7 machine.

'Twonkybeam' to send media from the internet using internet explorer (hopefully more browsers to follow)

'PlugPlayer' to use a ipod touch or iphone as a remote control (includes volume, fast forward and reverse slidebar) to control your media and send media from your library.

So now the final frontier seems to be 'Beam / Stream / Play To' your entire desktop  as a live media stream to the wdtv live via your network...just like msn remote desktop/skype screen sharing....Its means that you can do anything from your pc and use the wdtv live as a slave box to view on your hdtv...after that anything you can do on your pc technically you can do on your wdtv, browse the internet, facebook, twitter, download to attached drives etc etc the list goes on
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:51:20 PM by extremedigital »

March 21, 2010, 04:52:05 PM
Reply #42

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
I've noted elsewhere that foobar2000 has a upnp plugin for playing music to media devices, including WDTVLive.
Since I never liked the WMP interface and most my music is FLAC, I prefer foobar2000 for music.
There is No Substitute!

March 22, 2010, 04:14:13 PM
Reply #43

extremedigital

I've noted elsewhere that foobar2000 has a upnp plugin for playing music to media devices, including WDTVLive.
Since I never liked the WMP interface and most my music is FLAC, I prefer foobar2000 for music.

Hi NoSubstitute, yes i read your previous thread where you mentioned the foobar200 upnp for flac music...so the list goes on...read my next post for some interesting news. i am not a huge fan of the wmp interface myself, even though i must say that the windows 7 version is not bad at all.

March 22, 2010, 05:10:33 PM
Reply #44

extremedigital

After many hours of racking my brains i am giving up on the 'final frontier' for now as i have tried every trick i could think for to beam the entire desktop from a pc as a video stream to the wdtv live...the closest i got to was using vlc to capture the screen to a file (mp4) and then i tried to 'Play To' the wdtv live....unfortunately it just froze at that point... :-[

i found the Play to controller in Program Files --> Windows Media Player --> WMPDMC.exe   but was unable to use it to launch manually any media  :(

Other things i tested out was mapping an networked drive so it looks like a local drive...i was then able to select a file and click 'Play To' but then again it froze, so it looks like no direct access from window explorer for networked drive  :-[

Also i have not found a way to tie in mkv files into wmp12 library without renaming them to wmv  :-\

It looks like we are back to the vital component in remote controlling the wdtv live is a Digital Media Controller (DMC) software.....

Now onto something of a little interest......i came from a xbmc background but when i discovered the wdtv gen 1 last year i never looked back gave up all the glitz for the sheer convenience and picture quality you get from this box of tricks.

However you can argue with the library on the xbmc, so i tried a little test, installed the lastest version of xbmc on my server pc, ticked the options to share video and music through upnp and allow control over the xbmc via upnp ran the library to pickup my media (note xbmc only creates library for video and music but not for pictures)...

We were off to a good start when xbmc was able to see the usb drive attached to the wdtv apart from my other drives....

More great news the wdtv live was able to see and use the xbmc library in media servers..inc FLAC ...thats one for you to try out (NoSubstitute)

Now the real test whilst xbmc doesn't yet have a digital media controller built in, I was able to use the plugplayer app on the ipod touch to send from the xbmc to the wdtv with full control of volume and fast forward/reverse via the sidebars as usual...so some success at last  :D !!

Now if only xbmc had a built in (dmc) then you would really get the best of both worlds.......the browse using eye candy of xbmc on a laptop/pc as the controller and the 'PlayTo' the wdtv live...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:35:20 PM by extremedigital »