Author Topic: New Feature Of Firmware 1.02.19 Play To  (Read 32853 times)

March 18, 2010, 07:55:57 PM
Reply #15

SoNic67

March 18, 2010, 11:35:59 PM
Reply #16

Whoheart

Hi there,

I am new here and I don't know where to put this topic really.
So I hope this is the place....

Today I installed FW 1.02.19
On my Vista laptop I opened the network and try to open the webpage of the WDTVLIVE device
http://192.168.10.176:54611/web in my browser.

And 192.168.10.176 is your wdtvlive?

If I try that with the IP number for mine I get nothing but a time out error (ie, there is nothing in the device which replies)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 18, 2010, 11:42:36 PM
Reply #17

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
YIPEEEE cracked it kinda......
Now the issue with mkv as not a recognised format.....all i had to do was rename the file as .wmv ..NOW IT IS RECOGNISED and can be streamed direct to WDTVLIVE...wow also the WDTV will still see the .wmv file and play as normal anyways so no issue there....i never knew that this was possible to change the extension from mkv to wmv without any issue...

LOL - Great news that it could be tricked that easy! :-)
Never bothered to try it, since I wanted to play FLAC and not movies. If you have any flac music, try renaming one of them to .mp3 and test. If you don't have any, I will try that when I come home in 10 or so hours.
There is No Substitute!

March 18, 2010, 11:45:49 PM
Reply #18

Whoheart

Hello gschmidt, i too installed FW 1.02.19 today..

That code is from new feature enable Windows 7 'Play To'

Now on Windows 7 Machine Network page WDTV is seen as 'Media Device' click on it you get webpage where you can edit the 'friendly name'

So are you saying that if there is a Windows 7 machine on the network the wdtv live suddenly has a webpage?

(I'm obviously assuming we are talking about the normal prerelease firmware, not a custom job)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 18, 2010, 11:58:00 PM
Reply #19

extremedigital

Hi Whoheart, yes if you have a Windows 7 machine on your netwok, suddenly the wdtv live has a webpage....thanks SoNic67 for the picture

This feature activates on normal stock prerelease firmware no hacks needed....

i haven't any flac music but i will try and see if i can get hold of any and test, otherwise i wait your results...

To be honest i am waiting to see what this 'back door' will open once the firmware guys get their hands on it, but it is def a windows 7 feature only...saying that it kinda makes any custom firmware remote control unnecessary now..

This is very useful for music guys, my wdtv live is hooked up to my home amplifer, but i don't have to switch on my projector / or tv to send music to it...i can from windows 7 pc directly....the crazy thing is that you can be playing something else on that pc but stream different media to other wdtv / pc in your house totally independently...

I am currently streaming from a netbook via wifi which is easy to carry around the house  for example
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:07:54 AM by extremedigital »

March 19, 2010, 12:44:20 AM
Reply #20

Whoheart

Imagine a situation where your wife and kids are upstairs and you can start the film for them automatically...without having to move from your pc.....

Imagine them being able to use the remote ;)

March 19, 2010, 03:20:51 AM
Reply #21

chuckie

Imagine them being able to use the remote ;)

PAH! New-fashioned witches' brew....  :D :D :D

March 19, 2010, 08:18:29 AM
Reply #22

timw

If I understand correctly, this is just providing the control interface for a uPNP/DLNA media renderer. Hence it should work with anyuPNP controller.

Whether that is true or not, I can contol my WDTV from my iPod touch using PlugPlayer with this release so something is providing that interface. In earlier releases I had some control but I couldn't play movies but with this firmware I can.

March 19, 2010, 09:17:27 AM
Reply #23

extremedigital

If I understand correctly, this is just providing the control interface for a uPNP/DLNA media renderer. Hence it should work with anyuPNP controller.

Whether that is true or not, I can contol my WDTV from my iPod touch using PlugPlayer with this release so something is providing that interface. In earlier releases I had some control but I couldn't play movies but with this firmware I can.

Hi timw as Plug Player is a paid for app i have not downloaded yet.....please confirm that with the app you can now use your ipod touch / iphone to play a movie via your library NICE...

if so then the door is open for other apps to use uPNP/DLNA..hence the wdtv is now a true full blown media renderer

March 19, 2010, 11:30:11 AM
Reply #24

Whoheart

Surely the WDTV Live has been a DNLA client from the start.

(Get the TownkyBeam plugin to explorer and stream pictures from flickr or youtube videos directly from internet explorer)

March 19, 2010, 01:05:13 PM
Reply #25

timw

Hi timw as Plug Player is a paid for app i have not downloaded yet.....please confirm that with the app you can now use your ipod touch / iphone to play a movie via your library NICE...

if so then the door is open for other apps to use uPNP/DLNA..hence the wdtv is now a true full blown media renderer
Let me do some more testing. I can definitely start movies, but I haven't had a chance to try anything else yet (e.g. FF/REW etc).

March 19, 2010, 01:12:14 PM
Reply #26

extremedigital

(Get the TownkyBeam plugin to explorer and stream pictures from flickr or youtube videos directly from internet explorer)

Hi Whoheart, true you have been able to stream to the wdtv via twonky before, the difference is that it is now totally built in windows 7 and windows media player...

I never really used the twonky side of things with the wdtv , but the stream is started from the pc now, rather than you have to goto the box and connect to the stream....

Also as timw seems to be confirming PlugPlayer on the ipod touch now seems to be able to autostart a movie etc remotely when it didn't before, so it is def different behaviour...

if you have a windows 7 machine try it yourself and see what you think
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:21:16 PM by extremedigital »

March 19, 2010, 01:13:19 PM
Reply #27

timw

Again, if I understand correctly, a client doesn't necessarily have to present an externally accessible control interface. Previously, there was some sort of interface and I could play audio, but I couldn't play movies. With this update I can now use my touch to browse my server then tell the WDTV to play the movie, all from the touch. TwonkyBeam may be doing something similar, but this didn't work with PlugPlayer before.

March 19, 2010, 06:07:56 PM
Reply #28

extremedigital

Let me do some more testing. I can definitely start movies, but I haven't had a chance to try anything else yet (e.g. FF/REW etc).

Hi timw, thank you very much for this info, i can confirm that yes you can use plugplayer to use your ipod touch (also iphone) as remote control...

To play mkv your windows 7 library must be 'tricked' so you need to change from mkv to wmv on server pc ( i will try to find a patch to allow it to see mkv)

Also you can use the scrolling bar to fast forward / rewind or jump to a exact time.

Also the volume control works as well !!!

I have never paid for an app for itouch but this worth the 2.99 we have 3 itouch in the house i will install on all of them.

Now the itouch is best ever remote control for WDTV Live...of course you can also use the ipod to send media to any windows 7 pc as well

hmm if works on itouch i am sure there will be an android app as well...

i am really surprised that more people not testing this feature..this is on 'normal' firmware as well
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:14:19 PM by extremedigital »

March 19, 2010, 06:39:35 PM
Reply #29

extremedigital

Good news, using windows media player 11 on windows xp or vista you can also now recognise the wdtv as a device to allow streaming to.

You cannot auto send from the xp or vista pc to the wdtv ...you go to wdtv and select media server and browse and play as normal...

BUT since plugplayer can see any Media Server on your network (that will include nas drive) you can use it as remote control to send wdtv live from any windows pc including xp and vista running media player 11 or windows 7 running media player 12

I have not tested out plugplayer using a nas but i am sure it will work with nas drive like wd tv my world drive, mac, linux etc upnp media server
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:48:47 PM by extremedigital »