Author Topic: Looking for a way to FULLY reset the WDTV to original state  (Read 1991 times)

October 28, 2010, 07:17:40 PM
Read 1991 times

SigmaLouis

Hi there,

I managed to personalize my box via ssh. For instance I changed the hostname, created samba shares, customized my user profile with more commands etc. I suspect I might have accidentally created a *bad* soft link along the way at some point in time. One day I had to change the hostname again. The next thing I know is that the box rebooted with all parameters back to factory default: original hostname, shares are gone, custom environment gone as well. By the way my box runs 1.02.21_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.2 with webserver addon pack. Now the files that I need to change are on a read-only filesystem. I cannot figure how to fall back on my feet!

I tried to flash back the original version from WD then upgrade to 1.02.21_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.2. The upgrade went ok but impossible to write to the files I had previously modified.

I noticed though the files in /tmp/conf survived everything I did to reset the box (reset button, reset to factory defaults from TV menu, reflash F/W...)

Is there a radical trick to reset the box back to its original state and wipe-out EVERYTHING that might persist in non-volatile RAM?

Thanks with hope for good answer  :)

October 28, 2010, 09:02:18 PM
Reply #1

Buhric

well a reset to default should reset everything back....

also its normal that you can't write to the WDTV, since most of it is on read only filesystem

there's just some place where you can write, like in the /tmp/ folder and in the /conf/ folder
but be carefull at what you put in the /conf/ folder, if something goes wrong it resets everything back to default...

BTW the space available is very limited... not sure how much you got, but I know its very little....

If you want to modify the files in the WDTV, may I suggest you use the EXT3-Live version (root.bin) instead
with it you will have a full read/write on almost all folders...