Author Topic: Custom firmwared my wdtv live with WDLXTV-LIVE 4.1.9 and have few questions  (Read 1882 times)

March 18, 2010, 08:38:50 AM
Read 1882 times

zardari7

Hi folks,
nice board! I have few questions, I will really appreciate if someone can help me out with the questions.

Basically I upgraded my wdtv-live with WDLXTV 4.1.9 and I mainly use my wdtv to play MKV files over network in 1080/720 with DTS and it works perfect.

Now what advantages do I have after having custom firmwared it?

Can I change the background screen? If yes HOW?

I noticed that I could enter my WDTV http interface by typing the IP address of the box in browser and use remote control etc etc, that is cool aswell!

But other than just changing background (which I really want to do) , what other cool things can I do with it?

I am new to this forum, so I am really looking forward to some decent answers!

Thanks a lot!

and greetings from denmark.

March 18, 2010, 08:55:51 AM
Reply #1

mcai8rw2

Well... i know that B-Rads firmware will allow you to use an external cd/dvd/bd player ... so perhaps you could get rid of your clunky old dvd player?

Or... as the notes suggest, it has a Torrent Client... you could set up a highcapacity external HDD to download all your favourite movies whilst you are in bed/at work.

USB Hub support is another bonus. Hook up multiple HDDs to your device for endless capacity.

It also works as a Web Server so you could host your own homepage on it. (of course this requires some router configuration, and domain configuration but its all do-able)

March 18, 2010, 09:12:47 AM
Reply #2

zardari7

Well... i know that B-Rads firmware will allow you to use an external cd/dvd/bd player ... so perhaps you could get rid of your clunky old dvd player?

Well I play the files over my network, so dont need to connect dvd/bluray, for me mkv with dts over network is good enough and then I have few harddrives connected to my PC so bluray or other play is not required.

Or... as the notes suggest, it has a Torrent Client... you could set up a highcapacity external HDD to download all your favourite movies whilst you are in bed/at work.

Well torrent is running on my PC with rss feed that automatically downloads the 720p/1080p movies , so dont really need the torrent client running inside wdtv.

USB Hub support is another bonus. Hook up multiple HDDs to your device for endless capacity.

USB Hub support is like a good bonus, but then I use it to play files over network,so I can just attach those additional drives to my PC-USB ports, so I dont think I will ever need that.

It also works as a Web Server so you could host your own homepage on it. (of course this requires some router configuration, and domain configuration but its all do-able)

I have few dedicated servers with linux gbit hosting, so dont really want to run a webpage , I am pretty sure the box will crash the apache server.

Answered in bold above, so folks any other reason why I should use custom firmware ? Only good thing I find up til now is the changing of background image? Can someone tell me how to do that  ? Any instrucs of how big file should be, dimension? extensions allowed etc etc. Thanks a lot.

March 18, 2010, 09:54:24 AM
Reply #3

mcai8rw2

I think possibly you've 'hit-the-nail-on-the-head'.

If you've looked through a list of capabilities that B-Rads firmware has, and you're thinking...'hey i don't actually need my WDTV-Live to do all that', then you've kind of answered your own question.

I'm in much the same position you are... i.e. I really only want my wdtvlive to play network shares. So this being the case, the only reason I can think I;ll use b-rads firmware, is for exploration and playing-about.

Thats not to say i don;t admire and appreciate all the hard work b-rad puts into his firmware... but I;m just one of those people that don;t necessarily need it.  :D

***EDIT:***
Actually i just noticed something that i hadn;t before. B-Rads custom frmware allows use of other kinds of streaming data... in particular SHOUTCAST, and Apple Trailers. So there is added functionality to it also.... not just for uber-techies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:07:34 AM by mcai8rw2 »

March 20, 2010, 01:06:48 AM
Reply #4

_alvin_

...Basically I upgraded my wdtv-live with WDLXTV 4.1.9 and I mainly use my wdtv to play MKV files over network in 1080/720 with DTS and it works perfect.

Now what advantages do I have after having custom firmwared it?

I am new to this forum, so I am really looking forward to some decent answers!

Thanks a lot!

and greetings from denmark.

Hi there, greetings from Tasmania, Australia (;->
I'm unable to answer your interesting questions, but i do have a question for you!

I've had some pretty poor results playing any Blu-ray m2ts files over the network and my WDTVLive particularly drops it's pants if the audio is in DTS, so i was most interested to see your post.

I'm just going through a trial now of converting a few of my Blu-ray files to MKV and i'm just wondering, did you have problems as i did and did the firmware you've loaded fix this so you now can play HD content with DTS audio, but in MKV only?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts/knowledge here.

With regards, alvin