Author Topic: WD TV Live Pre-release 1.02.19  (Read 51520 times)

March 23, 2010, 05:35:18 AM
Reply #60

Jimble

Thanks to Jimble and wiibox for your kind advise.

I installed this upgrade and tried few video files from shared network.  Formates include MKV, M4, AVI, Mts etc and did not see any issue with video or sound quality.  The old problem of no sound on certain audio formates through HDMI and Digital setup is still there.  If I change to Stereo from Digital (audio/video setup) then I get sound but my Onkyo 7,1 receiver will not recognize 5.1 channels.  If I keep Digital, receiver will recognize 5.1 but no sound.  This was happening in all versions and only in certain audio formates.

Thanks

It wouldn't recognise 5.1 in stereo mode, as it only outputs stereo sound (2 cahnnels). I'm unsure why you would get audio from your AV reciever when set to digital though. How is your WDTV connected to your AV Reciever, is it via Optical out or HDMI?

March 23, 2010, 03:36:28 PM
Reply #61

pitokhato

Thanks to Jimble and wiibox for your kind advise.

I installed this upgrade and tried few video files from shared network.  Formates include MKV, M4, AVI, Mts etc and did not see any issue with video or sound quality.  The old problem of no sound on certain audio formates through HDMI and Digital setup is still there.  If I change to Stereo from Digital (audio/video setup) then I get sound but my Onkyo 7,1 receiver will not recognize 5.1 channels.  If I keep Digital, receiver will recognize 5.1 but no sound.  This was happening in all versions and only in certain audio formates.

Thanks

It wouldn't recognise 5.1 in stereo mode, as it only outputs stereo sound (2 cahnnels). I'm unsure why you would get audio from your AV reciever when set to digital though. How is your WDTV connected to your AV Reciever, is it via Optical out or HDMI?

Thanks for reading my earlier post.

Everything is connected with HDMI.  WDTV to Onkyo Receiver and receiver to TV.  As mentioned earlier for certtain audio format no audio if digital in audio/video setup and 2 channel sound if Stereo.  I tried all possible setup in receiver as well.  Receiver is smart enough and usuaaly everything is Auto with manual option.  This no audio issue was there for all FWs

Thanks again for reading this post.

March 23, 2010, 08:55:58 PM
Reply #62

wiiBox

Thanks for reading my earlier post.

Everything is connected with HDMI.  WDTV to Onkyo Receiver and receiver to TV.  As mentioned earlier for certtain audio format no audio if digital in audio/video setup and 2 channel sound if Stereo.  I tried all possible setup in receiver as well.  Receiver is smart enough and usuaaly everything is Auto with manual option.  This no audio issue was there for all FWs

Thanks again for reading this post.

What audio formats do this for you?  I know that Live will do what you describe with multichannel AAC.  Seems Live is either passing multichannel pcm to my amp, which it doesn't recognize, or it's passing nothing at all to my amp.  As you say, in 'stereo' mode, Live will down-sample and output PCM stereo.  Obviously, very inconvenient to be switching back and forth.

I was wondering if maybe AAC is now being decoded by newer receivers, and/or newer equipment than mine, and it's the reason multichannel AAC behaves like DD and DTS.  I suspect not, though.

March 24, 2010, 12:40:18 AM
Reply #63

extremedigital

Good to see that some firmware's are being released (although still beta).
I've installed this latest beta and was testing the added feature "play to".
Unfortunatelly it doesn't work for me. After selecting a mp3 and selecting 'play to WDTVLIVE' the playto screen of Win7 appears.
After pressing play I see the waiting icon but nothing happens.
I've already tried turning off the firewall and making a direct lan connection between laptop and WD. No difference.

One thing else I noticed was in the explorer. Under network>media devices the WD can be seen but it keeps disappearing and appearing.
What is going on, why doesn't it work. Who can help...

Hi HDTVL please read my thread on 'play to' here

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=5367.0

The only things i can suggest is make sure you use windows media player 12 to set up  library it is also the only way to play to files on networked drives.

In windows 7 media player ---click on stream ---> tick allow remote control of my player and tick automatically allow devices to play my media

In Control Panel -->>Network And Internet -->Network and Sharing Center -->Advanced sharing setting

Turn on public  folder sharing, Turn on media streaming, Turn off password protected sharing

Also check Control Panel --> Network and internet ---> Network and sharing center   you are on home network, not public

Control Panel --> System and Security --> System Workgroup is called 'workgroup'

March 24, 2010, 03:13:24 AM
Reply #64

drs

Can you please tell me if the problem with thumbnail view in network mode has been fixed in this pre-release? You know, the problem where the thumbnail image files are also listed separately when you just want to browse and see your video files? Thanks.

March 25, 2010, 01:54:03 AM
Reply #65

Whoheart

And so the download slots have been used up.

I wonder how many they allow to download it.

(and drs: NO)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 25, 2010, 11:13:17 AM
Reply #66

venk25

In YouTube, when I press arrow keys, multiple key-presses are sent - like in a list (Favorites or Playlist or Relevant Videos or Search Results), if I press down navigation button on remote once, three or four items are skipped as if I pressed the button three or four times.  It happens slow sometimes that I can see it skip one-by-one.  This also happened with 1.2.14.  Anybody else having this issue ?  I've reset to factory defaults and it doesn't help.

March 27, 2010, 02:03:55 AM
Reply #67

Angel_de

Is it possible to extract the new zoommodes and use it in firmwares based on 1.01.24 ?
I really need the zoommode 0,9x being available.

March 27, 2010, 05:21:08 AM
Reply #68

pitokhato

Am I right in making a statement that:
there are no major issues with this pre-release so we could expect final version with some NEW FEATURES very soon?

Yes, there is more than 1 question here.

(1) Are there any major issues with this pre-release?
(2) Can we expect that issues if any will be resolved without any more beta?
(3) Are we expecting any NEW FEATURES in next FW?
(4) When can we expect next final version?

Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:27:16 AM by pitokhato »

March 27, 2010, 07:15:02 AM
Reply #69

ro3ck

Is it possible to see another font subtitles
such as the popcorn?

March 28, 2010, 09:11:12 AM
Reply #70

SoNic67

I know that Live will do what you describe with multichannel AAC.  Seems Live is either passing multichannel pcm to my amp, which it doesn't recognize, or it's passing nothing at all to my amp.  As you say, in 'stereo' mode, Live will down-sample and output PCM stereo.  Obviously, very inconvenient to be switching back and forth.
I was wondering if maybe AAC is now being decoded by newer receivers, and/or newer equipment than mine, and it's the reason multichannel AAC behaves like DD and DTS.  I suspect not, though.
Indeed, the WDTV Live is passing the AAC 5.1 undecoded. And there are just a few receivers that can decode that signal (my Denon AVR3805 can) therefore that format is garbage.
It should either avoided completelly or, if WD is nice with ours, it should be transcoded in real time to a normal surround format - like DolbyDigital or DTS. Sure, it will involve some extra licensing fees, so I don't know how that will play.
Creative is charging less than 5$ for the supplementary DDL/DTS connect software, so I guess the fees are not that huge.

March 28, 2010, 12:27:30 PM
Reply #71

kyosti

(Not sure if this is reported already)
The audio is cut off every now and then especially with AAC.

General
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 2.10 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 35mn
Overall bit rate                 : 1 939 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main@L4.2
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 6 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 671 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 9 301 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.076
Stream size                      : 1.81 GiB (86%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 80 r1376M 3feaec2
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=25 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=48 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1671 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 264.6 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 347 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 296 MiB (14%)

March 28, 2010, 05:43:42 PM
Reply #72

SoNic67

You don't need to post a mile long text here. We all know that AAC is basically garbage. See the previos post if not further.

March 28, 2010, 06:19:53 PM
Reply #73

ast

WDTV_Live,

please fix the networking issues already! PLEASE!!  WDTV Live is supposed to support networking, so make this your priority!!!

Connection with Buffalo Mini USB is super dooper mega ultra unstable, RUBBISH for short.

SIGH SIGH!!

March 29, 2010, 05:48:46 AM
Reply #74

Whoheart

You don't need to post a mile long text here. We all know that AAC is basically garbage. See the previos post if not further.

On the other hand it doesn't harm.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.