Author Topic: Best quality format for wdtv  (Read 6040 times)

March 17, 2010, 02:32:56 PM
Read 6040 times

dwjake2013

Hello,
        I am asking for help from all of you experts on the wdtv. I have a 37'' vizio lcd tv and i have a wdtv (hd) plugs into it using a hdmi cable. I have a 2tb external hard-drive that connects to the wdtv and plays movies off that. I have one single issue. I would like to know the best quality format i can use on the wdtv. I do  have handbrake, or i can get any other converting software that is needed. Quality is at importance here. That is my number one thing but do a little compress so i dont have movies that  are around 7-8 gb. Please reply back to this message if u know of anything u use and are very happy with the performance.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!! TO ALL WHO HELP ME!!!!

Jake Adams

March 17, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
Reply #1

twisty

G'day Jake,

There's an old proverb in the video encoding world: Speed, size, quality: pick two." From the Handbrake team http://handbrake.fr/.

See my tome http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0 for an overview formats.
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

March 23, 2010, 06:37:56 PM
Reply #2

oposky2006

As for the quality vs. size trade-off, in any case with < 7GB size you won't get the same as BR quality, but if done well, it can look quite good indeed. Play around with Handbrake or RipBot264's settings until you hit on a combination that works best for you.

April 28, 2011, 06:29:42 PM
Reply #3

robotpav520

Hello,
        I am asking for help from all of you experts on the wdtv. I have a 37'' vizio lcd tv and i have a wdtv (hd) plugs into it using a hdmi cable. I have a 2tb external hard-drive that connects to the wdtv and plays movies off that. I have one single issue. I would like to know the best quality format i can use on the wdtv. I do  have handbrake, or i can get any other converting software that is needed. Quality is at importance here. That is my number one thing but do a little compress so i dont have movies that  are around 7-8 gb. Please reply back to this message if u know of anything u use and are very happy with the performance.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!! TO ALL WHO HELP ME!!!!

Jake Adams

HEY
i think you can try to use mkv (heard from someone) as the storage format,I use it recently,and so far it worked fine on my WD TV Live with high quality included
 You can go to my place to learn more:
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=8611.0

June 16, 2011, 11:51:12 AM
Reply #4

JeremiahT

What is everyone's favorite setting for handbrake for playing on the WDTV? Does everyone use handbrake or do some use another program? I know I have handbrake on my powerbook but I also have some other programs like ffmpegx. I always have problems figuring out what is the best format for playing on my TV through the WDTV and for playing on my iPad. I just got a new 55" plasma and a tv lift cabinet and was wondering what format is best for that size of TV?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:29:43 PM by JeremiahT »
Jeremiah - TV addict

June 16, 2011, 02:11:36 PM
Reply #5

KAD

• WDLXTV Eye Candy OSD
the question you pose will and has always been a matter of opinion

I must have quality, so I use tsmuxer and keep uncompressed .m2ts files, and yes I think my largest single movie is 45GB, average movies are 20+GB each

another advantage of .m2ts or blu-ray .iso is these are the only 2 containers in which WD supports .pgs subtitles, another must have for me

if I .mkv anything I use makemkv because there's no compression no loss is quality, I still end up with very large files, but the .mkv container in itself is quite small and usually makes my large files 1 - 3 GB smaller than the .m2ts version

KAD