Author Topic: "Sorting" your media.  (Read 1274 times)

March 17, 2010, 08:50:01 AM
Read 1274 times

Freestyledork

So I have been reading around a lot and can not find a good way to sort media on the wdtv live. I saw that some of the OSD mods have folder icons made for different genres. I have around 600 videos so browsing starting at "A" going to "Z" every time would become a hassle. I thought I came up with something brilliant but when I tested it, it did not work.

My idea is using shortcuts.

Starting from the main drive.

M:"Media"
   /List
      /Videos
         /(all the source folders(named after each video) with the video in them)
   /Genre
      /Action
         /(go though and create a shortcut from the source folder)
      /Drama
         /(create a shortcut for all the drama genres...)
      /Thriller
         /(you get the idea...)
      /So on...
   /Year
      /2010
      /2009
      /2008
      /.......

The problem is WDTVlive doesn't see the media in the folder because it is a shortcut. Is there anyway that you could manipulate the system to work with shortcuts? Someone who has more knowledge in this area please tell me what your thoughts are on this.
Is there some method other people are using to sort there media that I was unable to find?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:17:04 AM by Freestyledork »

March 17, 2010, 09:44:49 AM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

My system is not quite as involved as yours but it works for me.  I rename my files with certain words like:
thriller
western
horror
etc....

and I use the search feature with "contains" and fill thriller or what ever.  it gives me all the instances of that word.  Of course I started that from the beginning and it would be verrry long for you to update all 600 of your movies to have such things as
2010, thriller, etc...

Maybe some day we will see something in a homebrew app to have a sort feature implemented.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

March 17, 2010, 09:52:02 AM
Reply #2

choekstr

I use playlists.  My main purpose is to sort by date, and in particular to display the latest added, or newest date at the top.  So I create a playlist based on create time and it generates a playlist that I use to view the files.  What this does is almost emulates a directory and allows you to view the media in different ways.

Extrapolating that over to your need, you could create playlists for each of the categories like Action, Drama, etc and just view those playlists when you want to sort accordingly.

Of course this lends itself really well towards automation as well and auto-created playlists add a nice touch so you don't have to manually update them.  Until WD adds support for different sorts and different views this is the best way I have found to add this feature.

Hope this helps.
--
Chris

March 17, 2010, 12:15:29 PM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

What (how) do you create your playlists?
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

March 17, 2010, 12:25:03 PM
Reply #4

choekstr

notepad.  echo.  cat.  copy con.  edlin. vi.   ;)

In all seriousness, just create a filename.m3u file, plain text file, with a list of files.  The m3u official format has all kinds of other tags in there but the Live supports just a flat list of movie files.  Here is a portion of one of mine:

Code: (newest_first_sort.m3u) [Select]
Cube Zero (DVD Rip 2004).avi
Cube 2 Hypercube (DVD Rip 2002).avi
Cube (720p BD Rip 1997).mkv
Planes Trains and Automobiles (DVD Rip 1987).avi

for me, I have my movies on a linux box and so I just run:
Code: [Select]
ls -1Ft /path_to_movie_folder | egrep -v "/|m3u" | sed -e 's/*//' > filename.m3uand it creates a playlist for me.  I do have a bit more to this and a script wrapped around it but this is the meat of the process.

--
Chris

March 17, 2010, 01:27:10 PM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

LMAO you really made me feel stupid.....I was thinking of some S/W to do this.  I never even thought of the simpler Notebook.

Thanks for this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:22:28 PM by RavRob »
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

March 17, 2010, 01:37:09 PM
Reply #6

choekstr

Nah, not stupid, just not knowledgeable about how easy a playlist on the Live needs to be.  Now you know and are smart again. :)
--
Chris