Author Topic: 'Videosheet' works with original firmware Gen 1/2 Live & Osd Mods  (Read 3562 times)

March 15, 2010, 11:21:46 AM
Read 3562 times

extremedigital

Hi Guys, long time lurker on the forum finally registered...

The one question that comes up time afer time is when will moviesheets work ?

I know that for the tech guys it must be annoying so i thought i would share my manual workaround.

Basically if you use network shares instead of connecting a usb drive locally as we know the wd tv live will show all media regardless.

So if you go to movies via your network it will also show up the photos...(aka the famous double thumbnail bug)

Now the important part....you need to have your movies in individual folders...in each folder apart fom your movie put in your folder.jpg and your moviesheet.jpg ...it can be named what you want apart from the same name as the file, so for example instead of wd_tv.jpg i call mine fanart.jpg (throwback to using xmbc)

So you will have 3 files in every folder for example.....  movie.mkv , folder.jpg , moviesheet.jpg

In settings menu make sure you set the wd tv live to show pictures 'Fit to Screen'.

Now when you go into the folder with your movie you can manually select either your folder.jpg or moviesheet.jpg

A little basic but it works...

Hope this helps someone....

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:10:05 AM by extremedigital »

March 15, 2010, 11:36:56 AM
Reply #1

choekstr

In case others are looking for alternate methods, my workaround entails having two folders:
1.) for the movies, all in one flat directory.
2.) for the moviesheets, all in one flat directory.

So it looks like this:
-->Network Share
------>Videos
------>Moviesheets

This way I browse the moviesheets share, and I even create a "most recently added first" playlist so it sorts them newest first.  Find the movie I want to watch based on the moviesheet, then back out to the Videos share and play that actual movie.  Not ideal but not bad either and the Wife can grasp this method and doesn't complain it is too complicated.
--
Chris

March 15, 2010, 02:27:34 PM
Reply #2

thumper42

This is something i was trying out, i am not actually using it!

But it will give you moviesheets that work well, select movie (playlist) hit '>Play' and it show moviesheet, Hit '>>next' and it will start the movie or hit 'back' and it will go back to your movie list. And it works with original firmware.

Req: mencoder/linux

Place this script and moviesheet.jpg in a folder and run the script, you will end up with a moviesheet.avi when your done. Read the script for more info!!

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
#
# Simple script wdtvlive to create a 30sec moviesheet.avi from moviesheet.jpg!
#
# Then you can create a playlist containing the moviesheet.avi and YourMovie.mkv,
# You can save your playlist in a different folder, just be sure that uses a
# relative path pointing to your moviesheet/movie.
#
# Example:
#           Media
#                 >> Movies
#                             Your_Movie.mkv
#
#                 >> Moviesheets
#                             Your_Movie_ms.avi
#
#                 >> Playlists
#                             Your_Movie.m3u
#                             Your_Movie.jpg (thumbnail)
#
#
# And Your_Movie.m3u would look like this (without the #)
#
#      ../Moviesheets/Your_Movie_ms.avi
#      ../Movies/Your_Movie.mkv
#
#
# So to use it, go to VIDEO >> LOCAL DRIVES >> PLAYLISTS ; Choose a playlist
# and hit PLAY!!
#
# TESTED WITH ORIGINAL 1.01.11 FIRMWARE! I used a 720p image and moviesheet.avi
# ended up being less then 1MB. I am not using this method, its just something
# i was testing out but it will give you working moviesheets that work the way
# they should, hit '> PLAY' on a playlist, hit '>> NEXT' to start movie or BACK
# to return to your playlists!
#
# REQUIRES: mencoder
#
test -d ./mstmp_wf && rm -r ./mstmp_wf
sleep 1
mkdir ./mstmp_wf

for i in {1..720}; do
cp moviesheet.jpg ./mstmp_wf/$i.jpg
done

cd ./mstmp_wf
mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=24 -ovc copy -o working.avi
sleep 2
mencoder working.avi -o ../moviesheet.avi -ovc lavc
sleep 2
cd ..
test -d ./mstmp_wf && rm -r ./mstmp_wf

Take Care, thumper42.

March 16, 2010, 05:38:25 AM
Reply #3

extremedigital

Thanks Thumper42 for the idea.

Perhaps this thread might be limited as Titi has just released Msheet for the Live and G2.

However working with your idea i did a little experimenting. This info might be useful for people who want to run original firmware or a standalone osd mod like juliojs like me.

I got moviesheets to work but it works in a different way for local drives or network drives.

For Network drives, please follow my earlier instructions. Make sure the the wd tv live is set to play photos 'Fit to screen' you need to have every movie in its own folder. you need 3 files, however to keep compatiblity with Titi's mod i suggest naming the moviesheet the same as his mod needs. for example

Batman.mkv
folder.jpg
Batman_sheet.jpg

or

Batman.mkv
folder.jpg
moviesheet.jpg

The trick is to press 'Play' on the folder itself this will play all pictures inside the folder twice and stop (note it will play them in alphabetical order)

Press the back key to come out and enter the folder to play the movie

However for local drives this trick will not work as pressing 'play' on the folder will play all movies inside the folder.

So i used windows movie maker to create a 20 second wmv file from my folder.jpg and moviesheet.jpg i placed this wmv file inside the folder naming of the file is again important as the wd tv live will play they videos in alphabetic order so i called the file moviename_sheet.jpg

for example

Batman.mkv
folder.jpg
Batman_sheet.wmv

This way if you press play on the folder it will play your moviesheet wmv then straight into your main movie itself.

I hope this helps someone.

March 16, 2010, 06:20:59 AM
Reply #4

evilantal

Interesting thought... and very creative!
Only nuisance would be that if you want to read the sheet more carefully or are dyslexic (like my girlfriend) you would have to pause the moviesheet "movie" to stop it from going to the main movie file too quickly

March 16, 2010, 06:42:40 AM
Reply #5

choekstr

Yeah, I already thought about that and I figured I would just make a 5-10 minute moviesheet movie and then hit next video to actually play the movie.  I want to be able to study and read the moviesheet when possible so making an overly long video would be the solution to this at the sacrifice of auto-playing the actual movie after a few seconds.
--
Chris

March 16, 2010, 07:28:37 AM
Reply #6

extremedigital

Yeah, I already thought about that and I figured I would just make a 5-10 minute moviesheet movie and then hit next video to actually play the movie.  I want to be able to study and read the moviesheet when possible so making an overly long video would be the solution to this at the sacrifice of auto-playing the actual movie after a few seconds.

Hi evilantal and choekstr, yeah great idea...perhaps 20 seconds is too short for the moviesheet 'movie' maybe 45 seconds to 1 minute and you can hit next to play faster.

Personally i think the moviesheet 'movie' on a local drive works better than the network method as it will autoplay your main movie after a set amount of time.

I used windows movie maker to make the movie and set the output to wide-screen in its settings as this was the easiest and quickest method i coud find to convert a jpg to a movie format, but any format would work as long as it is supported by the wd tv live so for example the moviesheet 'movie' could be an avi or mp4 file instead of wmv.

Perhaps one of the moviesheet generator guys could find a way of creating a 1 minute moviesheet 'movie' automatically from their programs and then this method would work perfectly easy for gen 1 & 2 wdtv and live standalone boxes.

March 16, 2010, 09:16:36 AM
Reply #7

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
I took this concept a bit further and designed a "movie sheet video" with the usual details but also added the trailer for the movie in question.  This gives the viewer something to see about the film apart from star information, runtime, etc. but also allows those who like movie sheet details to read (most trailers last anywhere from a minute on).  This idea was a carry-over from the custom DVD's I used to make which incorporated the trailer into the DVD menu.

March 16, 2010, 12:34:58 PM
Reply #8

extremedigital

I took this concept a bit further and designed a "movie sheet video" with the usual details but also added the trailer for the movie in question.  This gives the viewer something to see about the film apart from star information, runtime, etc. but also allows those who like movie sheet details to read (most trailers last anywhere from a minute on).  This idea was a carry-over from the custom DVD's I used to make which incorporated the trailer into the DVD menu.

Hi colbertnotion, great idea....please explain a little more, what program did you use to create your moviesheet 'movie'.

Also which order did you put the trailer and moviesheet.jpg ?? perhaps a 30 second still image then the trailer then a 30 second still image .....what your ideas ??

Next step would be to find a way to possibly automate this process.....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:40:19 PM by extremedigital »

March 16, 2010, 03:39:54 PM
Reply #9

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
I guess you'd call what I do "old school", extremedigital.  My movie sheet video is done using Nero Vision and VirtualDub as a series of composites and overlays.  I'll try to post up some screen shots shortly for show but I'm traveling at the moment so it may be much later before I can do so.  Because of the way I do it, I'm not even sure if any automation would be possible.  Of course, I'm always willing to learn new methods.  One tip I can drop is that you don't really need a playlist to make it show before the movie if you just put an underscore before the title it will be first in the list so that when you press PLAY on the folder it is always the first item to play (e.g. -- folder named DARK KNIGHT contains two items, _DARK KNIGHT.AVI [the moviesheet video] and DARK KNIGHT.AVI [the main feature]).  As to format, it could be done either like still shot -> trailer -> still shot (with fades in between since it is a video) or like some of the DVD menus I've done there is the majority of the screen with standard movie sheet data and a small "window" playing the trailer.  Nero Vision is the only limiter in my scenario as it insists on the final video being a 720x480 (standard definition, I guess) frame size.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:49:53 PM by colbertnotion »

March 16, 2010, 05:20:57 PM
Reply #10

thumper42

Hey colbertnotion, great tip on skipping the playlists!

As for embedding the movie trailer into the moviesheet, you would almost have to automate it for it to practical for majority of users!! Oddly enough i was looking at some tutorials for cinelerra, a very nice linux video editor, which is also available on a livecd.

Anyway, I found a couple of tutorials  that might be helpful if you want to look into automating the whole process.

The tutorials description: "a tutorial covering the camera and projector features in Cinelerra and the automation thereof."

Part 1:Cinelerra Tutorial: Camera and Projector

Part 2:Cinelerra Tutorial: Camera and Projector pt. 2

Take  Care, Thumper42.

March 17, 2010, 02:38:13 AM
Reply #11

extremedigital

Hi colbertnotion I like 'old school'...myself but as thumper42 says we prob need an easy automate process for this method to be practical for most users.

i looked at the tutorial, great stuff ... unfortunately for me i am not very good when it comes to linux stuff.

I have taken all the ideas so far and this is what i have come up with.

We need 3 video files in each folder:- moviesheet, trailer, main movie

The naming is important as we want the wd box to play them in that order, so i suggest the following naming structure. leave a space after the moviename and call them  moviesheet and trailer.

eg

9 moviesheet.wmv
9 trailer.mp4
9.mkv

At the moment i am using window movie maker to convert the moviesheet.jpg to moviesheet.wmv available for free here

http://download.live.com/moviemaker

I think a 45 second moviesheet is about my perfect lenght

You can get your movie trailer various sites but i really like

http://www.traileraddict.com

I am going to ask the moviesheet generator guys if they can automatically convert their jpg's into a video file. Hopefully someone can otherwise may need to look at a easy batch program to do so. However i must say that windows movie maker is very quick and easy to use.

With the 3 movie files, it is very easy to use the 'PREV' and 'NEXT' buttons on the remote to change between the moviesheet, trailer and main movie. Once you have pressed 'PLAY' on the main folder.

This system is working 100% with my live box running juliojs osd mod, but it will work with any other firmware as well, without the need for external usb to be plugged in. This is not a full blown moviesheet mod like Titi msheet, which i am very interested in myself, but this is for a box that you want to 'just work'

I would really appreciate any feedback from people to see if it works on their boxes, and how we can improve this method