Author Topic: HD Camcorder HDD AVCHD  (Read 6684 times)

March 23, 2009, 04:32:05 AM
Read 6684 times

nograde1

I'm buying an HD Camcorder with HDD and AVCHD recording.  Should this format play directly on the WDTV after a straight transfer from camcorder?

March 23, 2009, 05:30:57 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
WDTV does not recognize HDV natively. You have to use Pinnacle Ultimate Studio 11 or another video editor like Vegas or Premiere. Upon capture, Pinnacle will demux into various streams. After editing, you can encode in Pinnacle to a 1080i MPEG-2 at 1920x1080. It plays perfectly on the WD box, and it's the same HD quality.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 26, 2009, 01:27:48 PM
Reply #2

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
I'm buying an HD Camcorder with HDD and AVCHD recording.  Should this format play directly on the WDTV after a straight transfer from camcorder?
Yes it will.  WD TV supports AVC-HD/H.264 with file extensions of .mts and .m2ts
I use my WD TV to play my videos from my Canon HF100 and it does it beautifully.
The great thing is you can pop the SDHC card into a USB card reader plugged into the WD TV and watch your videos straight away.
Bear in mind no thumbnails though which makes it harder to find the clip you want.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

March 26, 2009, 04:31:17 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey Mr. Lazy,  thanks for the info.  I was thinking HDV above and not AVC-HD which is a different format.   As you mentioned, AVC-HD (which is similar to the Bluray format) will play as a transport stream.  However, many different manufacturers of camcorders use different codecs to encode the h.264 and some have problems with the WDTV.   Also most camcorders use AC3 audio but not all.   This can also mess you up!  Hopefully Nograde1 will get back to us and let us know when he is successful.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 27, 2009, 01:16:38 AM
Reply #4

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
However, many different manufacturers of camcorders use different codecs to encode the h.264
That's true, and they also use different H.264 profile levels, though I think the WD TV should be able to cope with the current highest level used in a consumer camcorder 24Mbps HP@4.1

and some have problems with the WDTV. 
That's the first time I've heard of the WDTV not being able to play video from some (AVCHD) camcorders - can you tell me which ones?  (video/video cameras is my area of interest)

March 27, 2009, 07:48:44 AM
Reply #5

nograde1

I just bought the newest Sony HDR-XR500V.  I'll let you know how it works on the WDTV.  It has a 120gb HDD.

March 27, 2009, 07:50:02 AM
Reply #6

nograde1

Mr Lazy - do you have any experience with converting mini DV tapes in .AVI to a WDTV format?

March 27, 2009, 09:53:23 AM
Reply #7

georgeorwell

Yes it will.  WD TV supports AVC-HD/H.264 with file extensions of .mts and .m2ts
I use my WD TV to play my videos from my Canon HF100 and it does it beautifully.
The great thing is you can pop the SDHC card into a USB card reader plugged into the WD TV and watch your videos straight away.
Bear in mind no thumbnails though which makes it harder to find the clip you want.

Wow, that's great to know.  I have the same camera.  I've had the WD for about a week and this is just one more thing to love about it.

March 30, 2009, 06:41:13 AM
Reply #8

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Mr Lazy - do you have any experience with converting mini DV tapes in .AVI to a WDTV format?

I have a few of my DV tapes on the WD TV converted to MPEG2 using WinFF.  However when time permits I intend on a) trying different codecs/formats and b) trying a few more programs.

March 30, 2009, 08:34:09 AM
Reply #9

3dxr

• Global Moderator

• grab you tapes to computer
  • use Gspot or mediainfo tool to determine which container(.AVI/.MKV/.MP4/MPEG) and codes(MPEG2/MPEG4/H.264) are in container
  • If is there any supported codes you need only transcode to better and open contianer try MP4=MacUSERS or MKV(WinUsers)
  • If is there any unsupported combination container and container or buggy combination remuxing is required
  • If is there only audio unsupported only re-encode audio track is faster then video track
  • If you dont have luck you have to reencode audio and video it can be slow few minutes or hours

VLC     is good for transcoding or remuxing
MeGUI  is good for transcoding or remuxing
WinFF  is good for transcoding or remuxing
ExtraVideoConverter extra easy converting tool
WinAVI+ffdshow-tryouts
VirtualDubMOD+ffdshow-tryouts
Avidemux standalone and multiplatform VDub clone (*) easy to use

April 02, 2009, 11:01:15 AM
Reply #10

nograde1

REPORT - Sony HDR - XR500V 120 gb HD Comcorder workers perfectly with WDTV.  WDTV plays the raw file in HD perfection. ;D

April 12, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
Reply #11

Grusha

MTS files play fine from my Canon HF100 flash card, however there is one annoying limitation: there is approximately 3 sec back screen gap in playback between files. Firmware version 1.01.01 claims to have "Added sequential .M2TS file playback function". Hoping that this would be a fix to my problem, I have renamed all my MTS files to M2TS, however the result is still the same 3 sec gap.

April 14, 2009, 04:58:26 AM
Reply #12

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
I think MTS and M2TS are pretty much interchangeable in this respect.  Not quite sure what they mean by sequential playback function - I assumed it meant that when you press play on the first file, it will play all the others in that folder also, but perhaps not.

April 14, 2009, 12:48:28 PM
Reply #13

nograde1

Anyone know how to join the HD clips made by a camcorder?  My footage is stored as multiple clips which makes it difficult to view on WDTV.

April 14, 2009, 01:37:12 PM
Reply #14

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Anyone know how to join the HD clips made by a camcorder?
The software that came with the camcorder should be able to do this.  Otherwise any editing program.  Or tsmuxer, mtsmerger etc.

My footage is stored as multiple clips which makes it difficult to view on WDTV.
What is difficult about it?  You just hit play on the first file and it plays all the files in that folder in sequence.