Author Topic: [Newbie] Flash firmware from external HDD?  (Read 1168 times)

March 06, 2010, 02:29:39 AM
Read 1168 times

SeveQ

Hi there,

I got my WD TV Live today and first thing I noticed was that my AVM WLAN Stick doesn't want to work. That's one of the reasons why I want to flash a custom firmware on the device.

Now, I don't own a USB flash stick (that is, I don't know where it is which means virtually the same) so I have to use what is available to me. And that's an external WD USB harddisk. Is it possible to flash a new firmware from such a harddisk or do I have to stick with a USB stick (pun)?  :)

Thank you very much!

Hendrik

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:38:51 AM by SeveQ »

March 06, 2010, 04:11:47 PM
Reply #1

kebien

Having an usb hard disk is the same as having a usb stick connected,you need to load the upgrade files in the root of the hard drive.
But not sure you will have then option to use your usb stick if is not supported.
The wdtv LIVE has support for certain wireless adapters without the need of having an usb hard drive connected,maybe getting one of the supported ones would save you lots of headaches.

March 06, 2010, 07:26:56 PM
Reply #2

venk25

The wdtv LIVE has support for certain wireless adapters without the need of having an usb hard drive connected,...
Does this mean that you *can* get an unsupported USB wireless adapter to work if you have an available USB hard drive (of course, with additional work; not meaning just the presence of hard drive)?  Any pointers/help appreciated.

March 08, 2010, 03:12:41 AM
Reply #3

SeveQ

The wdtv LIVE has support for certain wireless adapters without the need of having an usb hard drive connected,...
Does this mean that you *can* get an unsupported USB wireless adapter to work if you have an available USB hard drive (of course, with additional work; not meaning just the presence of hard drive)?  Any pointers/help appreciated.

I second that.

And thanks for the info about the hard disk thing. Luckily I have recovered my USB stick. :) Carrying around the HDD with its cable hullabaloo hasn't been that comfortable...