Author Topic: Dvd Collection To WDTV  (Read 8331 times)

April 07, 2009, 06:06:42 AM
Reply #15

htaler

I'm in process of doing the conversion from DVDs to WDTV files right now.

I'm using the Handbrake program, and convert to MKV file with H.264 codec with sound passthrough. I set the file size to 1400 MB and the quality is not distinguishable from the DVD original. The chapters are also preserved.

If you're interested I can publish my Handbrake settings that proved to be excellent looking on WDTV.

April 07, 2009, 08:37:36 AM
Reply #16

Well99

I have been using DVDFab Platinum for this same process.

I have tested both Xvid and MKV from the newest version of the software.  I do not do a limited file size, but rather a fixed bitrate with the DVD resolution.  I aim for .25 bits/pixel in the settings, and so I do each file separately.  My bitrate varies from 1600-2000 and my files are sized from 1.2 GB to about 2.1 GB for longer movies.  So far I like the software because its fast and most movies are superb on the WDTV.  I am thinking that the MKV chapter and multiple audio formats might be nice, but I have stuck with AVIs so I have the ability to also stream to my PS3.

At this point the real factor in the moving DVDs to the WDTV is the time for all the DVDs.

I have been running 2-pass encoding for higher quality and rips can take 60-90 min for a movie, and 90-180 min for TV shows with many episodes on a disc.  I figured at a normal rate I am looking at 200 days of encoding for my DVD collection.

However, I think DVDFab is a great software and a 1 software solution to getting DVD->WDTV playable files.