Author Topic: Dvd Collection To WDTV  (Read 4417 times)

March 19, 2009, 07:42:16 PM
Read 4417 times

nickjen1

If I am wanting to put my DVD collection that I own on to a harddrive and watch them on the WDTV what is the best format to convert them to keeping the best picture and sound but cramming the most into a external drive that I can. Please any ideas greatly appreciated!!

March 20, 2009, 12:24:44 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Nickjen1,

I am tackling that very problem right now.   So far the best program I have found is DVDfab Platinum.  I am not 100% happy with it yet though so I will update this thread as I experiment further.  Most people seem to use the Xvid profile and compress there movies to 700mb.  I have found that the quality is very good, and they play on the WDTV perfectly.   You can also hardcode the subtitles in if need be.  However, my problem with it is that the de-interlacing is so-so and I would like to have a better progressive file when I am done. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 20, 2009, 09:11:43 AM
Reply #2

nograde1

Hey guys, I don't think a conversion is nessessary with the new WDTV update.  Just us the free RipIt4Me or DVD Shrink programs to rip the complete movie and transfer to the WDTV.  WDTV will recognize the .vob files and you can watch your SD DVD in full resolution.

March 20, 2009, 11:41:22 AM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
That is true.  A vob rip will work great.  I recommend using the DVDfab Vob rip and making a movie into one VOB file. 

However this is very inefficient for storage space as a movie is 4-8 GB.   My backup copy of Star Trek DS9 is 390 GB! 

Converting that to MKVs or Divx would make it more like 40.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 20, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Reply #4

nickjen1

Ok here is another question that I keep reading about but cant figure out if for now i use vob files or .iso to watch can I use DVD Cover Art for the file?

March 20, 2009, 07:52:10 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
No cover art in Vob files with the WDTV.  Maybe with the next firmware update.

March 27, 2009, 08:01:50 AM
Reply #6

Miramax

March 27, 2009, 09:41:45 AM
Reply #7

georgeorwell

You can try MakeMKV http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Cya

Nice!  I just converted a DVD with it....doesn't get much easier than that.

March 27, 2009, 11:49:22 AM
Reply #8

StanSimmons

On Windows XP/Vista, I use AnyDVD and Handbrake to create MP4 files of the main movie. I use Tag&Rename to add cover art to the .mp4 file.

I use AnyDVD's "Rip DVD to Harddisk", then run Handbrake on the video_ts directory that results. Converting directly from the DVD works too, but is slower.

On Handbrake 0.9.3 I set the format to MP4, x264 video codec, FPS Same as source, Strict Anamorphic, audio codec to AAC, and Forced Subtitles only. This format works well for both the WDTV and the TiVoHD.

Tag&Rename lets me set the Title, Genre, Year and Cover Art tags. WDTV currently only seems to see the Cover Art tag on MP4 Video files.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
http://handbrake.fr/
http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

March 27, 2009, 12:31:20 PM
Reply #9

Starstream

MakeMKV is generally the way I went too not just for DVD's but for Blu-rays as well if you have the space and the WDTV doesn't choke on the raw Blu-ray video. MakeMKV can decrypt most discs without the need for Slysoft AnyDVD-HD but I'd still use recommend having it anyway.

For HD-DVD's & the occasional Blu-ray which use VC-1 the ClownBD app will rip the original VC-1 video stream and convert the audio into regular AC3 and place it in a M2TS container which the WDTV supports VC-1 in (no VC-1 MKV support as of writing).

If something needed to be converted I used Ripbot264 to encode into H.264/AC3 in MKV at constant quality mode 18.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:33:20 PM by Starstream »

March 28, 2009, 08:06:55 AM
Reply #10

georgeorwell

MakeMKV is generally the way I went too not just for DVD's but for Blu-rays as well if you have the space and the WDTV doesn't choke on the raw Blu-ray video. MakeMKV can decrypt most discs without the need for Slysoft AnyDVD-HD but I'd still use recommend having it anyway.

For HD-DVD's & the occasional Blu-ray which use VC-1 the ClownBD app will rip the original VC-1 video stream and convert the audio into regular AC3 and place it in a M2TS container which the WDTV supports VC-1 in (no VC-1 MKV support as of writing).

If something needed to be converted I used Ripbot264 to encode into H.264/AC3 in MKV at constant quality mode 18.

Since this is a pretty simple interface, when you use it on BDs, is it taking all audio streams and subs?

March 28, 2009, 02:22:31 PM
Reply #11

Starstream

You mean MakeMKV it allows to pick off anything you dont want for Blu-ray or DVD, it detects all the extras and subtitles so I usually just remote those and leave the main movie.

March 28, 2009, 09:52:45 PM
Reply #12

nickjen1

StanSimmons Awesome it worked like a charm and now I have Cover Art!! What size images do you use for Cover Art and is there a good place to get them from? Thanks in advance!!

March 31, 2009, 10:22:52 AM
Reply #13

tkook1940

If you use Meta X (both PC and Mac versions are available), you click on the Movie Poster button and you get dvd-specific cover art.

April 03, 2009, 08:29:32 PM
Reply #14

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
    Be a RockStar in Your Life!
    • Become an Internet Marketing Consultant
Just ordered my WD Media player yesterday and cant wait to use it. Just went to costco and picked up a new 1TB WD HD just for it. Starting to get my movies ready for it and wanted to get a little more opinions on what would be best to convert to. I see people are using ISO,MKV, and MP4. I wanted to know which one of these fits all of these needs.

#1 I want to have subtitles available. forced subtitles? does that mean if there is a part in the movie that they start talking a different language, that they will include the subs? does mkv, iso, and MP4 support this?

#2 wanted the best quality video and audio while not taking 4-8 gigs each movie

#3 wanted to have cover art

#4 not a big deal but would like to be able to burn to dvd on occasion in case my little ones scartch the original movie and need to put it back on dvd. not sure if you can burn mkv onto dvd?

Thanks for all the help and great posts I have been reading.

www.MakeTheWorldYourStage.com
Be a RockStar in Your Life,
& Make The World Your Stage!

Dr. Dan

http://OfflineRockStarAcademy.com