Author Topic: My Experience with a new unit. It's not all bad!  (Read 1441 times)

March 04, 2010, 05:07:24 PM
Read 1441 times

Alstone

After looking at media players for some time and comparing the different makes and features I settled for a WD TV HD  v2, and I must say Iím delighted with it. I wanted it solely to play Xvid videos on a Panasonic HD TV.

Reading through the posts on this forum it did put me off at first as there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the operation of these boxes, so I thought Iíd post my experience with the Gen 2 model.

It came well packed and everything there but I was expecting a copy of Arcsoft video converter 2.5 on the CD but evidently they no longer include it, this was not a problem as I use Gordian Knot to convert to Xvid. I did a firmware upgrade first and this went well with no problems, the next thing was to try different Hard Drives, I have five, 2 Freecom, 1 Buslink, and 2 Seagate, all were recognised with out any problem as did an assortment of Key drives.

The HD drives that are powered from the USB connection switch off when you shut down the WD HD TV unit, for the Buslink HD drive which is main powered I used a power saver plug, this works by recognising the IR signal from the remote control unit, when you switch off the WD HD TV box the Buslink HD switches off 20  seconds later, and switches on with the WD unit.

I have read reports about the interface and remote being slow to use, I found that every thing worked quickly and smooth, I have 300 full length films on a Freecom drive and you can find any film quickly using the search or scrolling through the list, I have used the player with both HD connection and composite and the HD is very good with all media, the composite is not far behind, better than I expected.

All in all I am delighted with my purchase and cannot fault it, when plugging in a big drive with a lot of video on it takes about 10 seconds to scan the drive and catalogue the contents which is saved on the drive, so next time you switch on or plug in the same drive it doesnít need to do it again, also the unit runs cool.

As I said at the beginning itís a bit off putting reading all the problems you can encounter, but I hope this post answers some of the questions for anyone thinking of buying one.

Al

March 05, 2010, 01:13:56 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Alston,

Welcome to the site!   It seems that most people that take the time to post are the ones that have problems or complaints.
They are perhaps only 5 percent of the WDTV users (if that).   Most people, myself included, feel that the WDTV plays pretty much everything we throw at and does it well. 

For the price point I agree that it is a great little device.  I am glad you are enjoying it!   

Thanks for being one of the other 95% who speaks up with the positive. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.