Author Topic: how do I seperate and convert video files from a DVD+R to a harddrive for wdtv  (Read 2465 times)

February 25, 2010, 12:32:40 PM
Read 2465 times

johnr

In recent years I have recorded programs on to DVD+r's using a Sony dvd recorder dvdr-hxd870, now moving with the times I have purchased a WDTV media player which plays files directly from a USB device. To date I have successfully Identified, separated and copied Vob files using Dvd decrypter (or Dvd Shrink) and converted to readable files using Auto GK or Handbrake on commercially produced DVDs.
The format of the files on the sony produced DVD+r's however differs:instead of the normal Audio_TS and Video_TS files I get a Video_RM and a Video_TS. In the Video_TS files I gets .vob files separated by size (.99GB) so the second file might contain the end of one film and the beginning of a second and therefore seemingly impossible to separate. Another strange occurrence is that when I view the contents of the dvd it lists a duplicate of each file indicating a combined size in excess of 7GB even though the single layer dvd only has 4.7GB capacity.
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain these anomalies or identify a program that can reverse sony's/dvd+r's filing structure and allow me to select and remove the features I want from the DVD+r's. Thanks

PS. the files in the Video_RM folder are: .BUP, .DAT and .IFO and in the video_TS are:.BUP, .VOB and .IFO and explanation of these will also be appreciated

March 01, 2010, 01:46:16 PM
Reply #1

twisty

Quote from: johnr
In the Video_TS files I gets .vob files separated by size (.99GB) so the second file might contain the end of one film and the beginning of a second and therefore seemingly impossible to separate. Another strange occurrence is that when I view the contents of the dvd it lists a duplicate of each file indicating a combined size in excess of 7GB even though the single layer dvd only has 4.7GB capacity.
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain these anomalies or identify a program that can reverse sony's/dvd+r's filing structure and allow me to select and remove the features I want from the DVD+r's. Thanks

I don't know about the Sony disc structure.  VOB files are limited to <1TB on DVD and are organised into titles.  Multi angle movies will give you larger than disc capacity.  Use Handbrake (as you did with the commercial DVD's) selecting the VIDEO_TS on the Sony disc.  Does this work?

Quote from: johnr
PS. the files in the Video_RM folder are: .BUP, .DAT and .IFO and in the video_TS are:.BUP, .VOB and .IFO and explanation of these will also be appreciated

DVD Structure from Doom9.org **Not Written by me**  **cut n paste job*

When you access the DVD drive you'll see at least 2 directories:  AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.
There might be more directories which contain DVD-ROM features for your PC.  There are 3 types of files on a DVD: .VOB, .IFO and .BUP:

VOBs - Video OBjects
A VOB contains several streams multiplexed together: Video, Audio and Subtitles.  Video is MPEG-2, audio can be AC-3, Linear PCM, Mpeg 2 multichannel or MPEG1 layer2 2 channel audio. It's possible to have up to 9 different audio streams.  AC3 is pretty much the standard.  A VOB can contain one main video stream and several multiangle streams, allowing you to switch (as an example) the perspective during the movie. This feature is mostly used to display storyboards or other extra features during playback.  It's also possible to have up to 32 different subtitle streams. Subtitles are 4 color bitmaps which are overlayed over the video stream.

DVD video content is broken into titles (movies or albums) and parts of titles (chapters or songs). Titles are made up of cells linked together by one or more Program Chains (PGCs).  The PGC corresponds to the Title number being displayed in your player.

IFOs - InFOrmation
IFO Files give the player important navigational information, like where a chapter starts, where a certain audio or subtitle stream is located, etc.  They are not encrypted.

BUPs - BackUP
BUP files are just backup files off the IFOs. As their counterparts they are not encrypted.

DVD Structure from Doom9.org **Not Written by me**  **cut n paste job*
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

March 15, 2010, 02:55:16 PM
Reply #2

johnr

Thanks for that twisty,

I have come up with a solution that satisfies 80% of what Im looking too do so if anyone else has similar issues:

First I establish a list of the features on the Dvdr (by viewing in a dvd player if theres more than i can write on the dvd surface)

Place the dvd in the drive, opening dvd Decrypter (whos creators should have a statue in their honour in every town centre!) and I simlply select IFO mode, and choose a feature (i.e video file) from the list provided which thankfully is listed in recorded order. for some reason it still lists every title twice but you need only select one copy.

In the Tools/settings/IFO mode window I set File splitting to 'None' and this beautiful software outputs a 2hr feature in the form of a single .vob file in about five minutes with no loss because theres no conversion involved.

This .vob file will play through the wdtv just fine like this or I can convert it to a .avi file using  Auto GK if I want to reduce its size. It also appears to me to be the fasted method of copying commercially created Dvds too.

Theres the slightest audio/video sync loss (if your learning lip reading or something) but most  people couldn't tell
If your backing up alot of dvds to a hard drive i would say this is the fastest I have found

One other tip if your looking to copy music videos or something from youtube the file outputed from this site: http://www.forinside.com/
will play in great quality on the wdtv save it as a favourite

March 26, 2010, 10:39:44 PM
Reply #3

rainbow86