Author Topic: WD TV Live Beta release 1.02.14 - limited time only!  (Read 57415 times)

February 26, 2010, 05:04:41 PM
Reply #60

Whoheart

Its true that they have absolutely no responsibility to do stuff that's not advertised on the box but the reality of the situation is come march... Popbox... Same price point.. much nicer interface... more functionality.

It also has advertising on the screen, did you notice that? They said they funded 'third party' modules by allowing them to show advertisement on the screen?! I'm not going to buy a device with that.

Yes, not everyone that already has WD TV Live will switch over, but thats not really what they're worried about is it? I go to the store and see WD TV Live with very basic functions and a crappy interface... then I see popbox with an awesome interface and functions like DVD menus, search, and apps... hmm, which one do I choose!?!? You know the answer.

Well I don't think the Live has that crappy an interface, its bit newbie like - but easy to understand, which is also a point if your entire family needs to operate it. But it could be "sexier", so perhaps one of the things they should get working on is 'skinning' there are a ton of people out there with digital pens at the ready.  A lot of people seem to like the ability to have movie info, flashy graphics etc.

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 26, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
Reply #61

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
It also has advertising on the screen, did you notice that? They said they funded 'third party' modules by allowing them to show advertisement on the screen?! I'm not going to buy a device with that.

That's what most people said about listening to music interlaced with advertisements.
Guess what, one of the most used apps everywhere today is ... Spotify!

The comparison isn't off.
You compared the WDTV with the Popbox, at the same price level, which means the Popbox will have more features for free, but with adverts. Just like Spotify is free music, with adverts.
There is No Substitute!

February 27, 2010, 04:43:59 AM
Reply #62

gregvolt

well after watching a spinning circle for weeks on my WD.. i bought a brite-view cinematube.. menu's are a bit raw (words and very few graphics), but navigable. also, with the WD, i used to have to make a folder on my network drive totally public because the WD couldnt log in. this thing can.  and lastly, it has a goto feature and the remote has a numeric pad to punch in the exact time that you want to go to. i dont see a number pad on the remote for the popbox. im still playing with it but so far so good. also when you fast forward it plays 2 seconds of the video then jumps ahead .. then 2 seconds.. then jumps so you get to see what part youre up to without jumping 4 mins ahead before you can press the play button.

Oh yeah.. no composite video.. only HDMI or AV but it works for me
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:54:42 AM by gregvolt »

February 27, 2010, 07:54:14 AM
Reply #63

bnz

Just wondering: is everyone here experiencing the MKV slow startup issue or is it only a few. That kind of decides whether i will update my box or not.

February 27, 2010, 02:19:43 PM
Reply #64

schnoid

Its true that they have absolutely no responsibility to do stuff that's not advertised on the box but the reality of the situation is come march... Popbox... Same price point.. much nicer interface... more functionality.

Yes, not everyone that already has WD TV Live will switch over, but thats not really what they're worried about is it? I go to the store and see WD TV Live with very basic functions and a crappy interface... then I see popbox with an awesome interface and functions like DVD menus, search, and apps... hmm, which one do I choose!?!? You know the answer.

Well I don't think the Live has that crappy an interface, its bit newbie like - but easy to understand, which is also a point if your entire family needs to operate it. But it could be "sexier", so perhaps one of the things they should get working on is 'skinning' there are a ton of people out there with digital pens at the ready.  A lot of people seem to like the ability to have movie info, flashy graphics etc.

I admit I'm not too familiar with the advertisements but if it as you say, then yea that would be pretty bad. The way I see it is when the popbox is released, the ads will be hacked out within days and if not Boxee box sounds like a really good though slightly more expensive solution. Either way I think it'll be a better solution than using something that is missing so many relatively basic features. You may be ok with the interface, but I think its pretty terrible. Like I've said before though, I give them a lot of credit for the awesome ability to stream 1080p MKV movies. Too bad the one thing they did really awesomely well was broken in the beta. Hopefully they'll fix this and re-release the beta soon.

February 27, 2010, 02:45:22 PM
Reply #65

Whoheart

The comparison isn't off.
You compared the WDTV with the Popbox, at the same price level, which means the Popbox will have more features for free, but with adverts. Just like Spotify is free music, with adverts.

Never listened to a second of Spotify :)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 27, 2010, 02:47:27 PM
Reply #66

Whoheart

Just wondering: is everyone here experiencing the MKV slow startup issue or is it only a few. That kind of decides whether i will update my box or not.

As far as I understand its everybody. Its like the live reads the entire file first on a slow connection, in that it is the length of the mkv which determines the delay. A short clip of a few minutes may only take 10 seconds to start, upto several minutes if its a full movie. Somebody reported 20 minutes(!).

This seems to be something which need fixing before it goes live (unless you never use MKVs)

February 27, 2010, 02:54:43 PM
Reply #67

Whoheart

I admit I'm not too familiar with the advertisements but if it as you say, then yea that would be pretty bad. The way I see it is when the popbox is released, the ads will be hacked out within days and if not Boxee box sounds like a really good though slightly more expensive solution.

Engadget had a look at it, you can check out the clip here. About 2.40 the guy talks about third party advertisement. A bit earlier in the clip you can see a Netflix ad

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/syabas-popbox-hands-on/

Either way I think it'll be a better solution than using something that is missing so many relatively basic features. You may be ok with the interface, but I think its pretty terrible.

I find it convenient that i can navigate it almost without looking at the screen. Though i would like to see the ability to "skin" folders, ie, put in custom user graphics with information about clips etc.

Like I've said before though, I give them a lot of credit for the awesome ability to stream 1080p MKV movies. Too bad the one thing they did really awesomely well was broken in the beta. Hopefully they'll fix this and re-release the beta soon.

Indeed. But it may be a really small thing, someone forgot a zero or placed a decimal point in the wrong place (if it is throttling speed).

Lets see if there isn't a new beta release in this week.

I tend to agree with the notion that WD should hurry up with some extra features if they want to take up with fight with some of the new boxes - some eye candy probably wouldn't hurt (as long as they don't kill the ease of the old interface)

February 27, 2010, 05:48:04 PM
Reply #68

Armand

It also has advertising on the screen, did you notice that?
Only during selection, not during play, and so do 90% of current cable guides, not to mention browser windows.

February 27, 2010, 09:33:48 PM
Reply #69

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
Only during selection, not during play, and so do 90% of current cable guides, not to mention browser windows.

It seems like you're saying that as if "it's okay!" when it isn't.  Forced viewing of advertising is W-R-O-N-G.  I've NEVER been influenced to buy something based on seeing an advert for it, EVER.  In fact forced advertising only makes me angry to the point of swearing I'll never buy the object of the advert just because they irritated me.  If there's something I want, I'll research on my own terms to find out about what is and isn't available, I don't need someone else telling me what I should think is cool like my life will be less enjoyable if I don't have it.  Of course, on the other hand - people skipping through adverts and commercials (like TIVO'ers) are the main reason why I can't watch a network show without "screen vomit" all over the show in progress (i.e. - ads for new shows coming up next, station ID's, etc..).  So, it's CATCH-22, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

March 02, 2010, 06:58:43 AM
Reply #70

Armand

It seems like you're saying that as if "it's okay!" when it isn't. 
Not a question of it being ok, but rather it being common. The older you are the less you like it, but it is common on web streaming, cable guides etc.

It is not as if you are seeing any advertising on the actual program. it is just on the guide section.
For people used to xbox iterface, abc/nbc/cbs.com, hulu, or comcast this is thing new.

March 02, 2010, 07:04:30 PM
Reply #71

kiccolsd

It's strange but testing this beta i cannot experiment mkv streaming bug... it works fine for me even with 8\10Gb files  ;D

March 02, 2010, 07:53:55 PM
Reply #72

Whoheart

It's strange but testing this beta i cannot experiment mkv streaming bug... it works fine for me even with 8\10Gb files  ;D

Via network share?

March 05, 2010, 09:47:36 AM
Reply #73

marciton

so when a new beta that fix the mkv issue ?
It'd help to have more testers ...

March 07, 2010, 10:58:30 AM
Reply #74

Whoheart

I am waiting to see if B-Rad will find the hidden treasures in this release  :D

Long time passing Scott - go go go new version :)