Author Topic: WD TV Live Beta release 1.02.14 - limited time only!  (Read 57469 times)

February 25, 2010, 10:38:19 AM
Reply #45

coastline

Hi Whoheart,

Can you confirm the "Pending" fix for "Correct Colour Matrix use (BT.709) on unflagged HD material" is NOT in this beta firmware!

I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer :-)

Nice to see beta's becoming available, Keep it coming WD!

February 25, 2010, 03:06:48 PM
Reply #46

Whoheart

Hi Whoheart,

Can you confirm the "Pending" fix for "Correct Colour Matrix use (BT.709) on unflagged HD material" is NOT in this beta firmware!

I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer :-)

Nice to see beta's becoming available, Keep it coming WD!

Afraid I can't coastline, I don't think i ever noticed it in the first place! I don't really have any bluerays. Besides i think my eyes are a bit fuzzy so I might not spot it at all!

(Though I have noticed sometimes the color of the subtitles change shade form bright white to dull white, not sure what that is about)

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 25, 2010, 03:51:06 PM
Reply #47

SiegeX

Whoheart,

The good news is that this bug is very easy to spot with the right video file.  Download http://www.cypheros.de/files/Testbild_colour_description_alternating_120sec.ts and play it on your WDTV Live.  This test pattern works by constantly switching from unflagged to BT.709.  If the bug still exists you should easily notice that greens get way oversaturated and the color ramps are no longer linear.  If the bug is squashed there will be no color shifts whatsoever.

On a different topic.  People, please remember that this is a beta release of which the entire intent is to discover problems prior to an actual public release.  The fact that people found the MKV problem is a good thing.  Granted that I would certainly like to see a roadmap of what bugs/features that WD plans to implement in the near future but they are certainly heading in the right direction with this beta release to win back our support.  Lets give them a shot to earn that trust back.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:57:36 PM by SiegeX »

February 25, 2010, 05:58:59 PM
Reply #48

wolfgr

February 25, 2010, 06:45:33 PM
Reply #49

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
ONCE AGAIN...

For those interested in downloading, here is an alternative BitTorrent download location (seeding by me as long as possible but dependent on shares from other downloaders, in other words -- SHARE!):

http://torrage.com/torrent/933C4D2106189D59DCC226C86B5084642E73515C.torrent

February 25, 2010, 07:03:53 PM
Reply #50

dribbller1

ONCE AGAIN...

For those interested in downloading, here is an alternative BitTorrent download location (seeding by me as long as possible but dependent on shares from other downloaders, in other words -- SHARE!):

I already have it but ill download it and seed for a bit to help out :)

February 25, 2010, 09:05:05 PM
Reply #51

Whoheart

WD are living up to the title, they are no longer offering the prerelease.

Hopefully this means they'll fix the MKV bug and release a new version Monday ;)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 25, 2010, 11:02:27 PM
Reply #52

schnoid

wow, i was pretty excited to see the beta and even downloaded it, but after reading this thread I realized its not worth installing right now. My primary purpose is to stream MKV files and if this doesn't work I might as well not have a WD TV Live at all. Popbox is still looking like the way to go. Sorry WD... I appreciate that you guys are making an effort, but its not looking very promising. Hire one decent code monkey and at least a good chunk of these issues could be fixed in days. I saw a youtube video of Boxee Box and the guy was asked who coded the interface (which looked really nice btw) and he said him. Yea, one engineer = really nice interface. I'm not the best programmer in the world, but I honestly think I could manage to do a better job.

February 25, 2010, 11:17:41 PM
Reply #53

paulselby1

ONCE AGAIN...

I have zero use for this update - I've not been effected by any of the issues that are now 'fixed' and there are NO new features of use to me. However, in the name of community spirit I'll download this and seed as long as needed.
WDLXTV-LIVE-0.3.4.5
USB 1 - 320GB WD Essential HD
USB 2 - 16GB  USB Pen Drive

Running Delulge

February 26, 2010, 08:56:19 AM
Reply #54

schnoid

ONCE AGAIN...

I have zero use for this update - I've not been effected by any of the issues that are now 'fixed' and there are NO new features of use to me. However, in the name of community spirit I'll download this and seed as long as needed.

thats nice of you, but sounds like you're better off not seeding it. If its a useless update a bunch of people are gonna go through the hassle of updating their boxes and end up removing it.

February 26, 2010, 10:09:18 AM
Reply #55

Whoheart

I have zero use for this update -

IT IS NOT AN UPDATE - it is a test, a prerelease of firmware so that the community has an ability to test it for bugs as well as their in house testing.

I've not been effected by any of the issues that are now 'fixed'

When you put it in "'" it sounds as if you think they are lying. There is no proof of that - they tell us they have fixed these things and we have no reason not to believe it, unless it turns out a fix didn't work.

and there are NO new features of use to me. However, in the name of community spirit I'll download this and seed as long as needed.

Don't.

This prerelease was offered for a while on Wester Digitals site, and it has now been removed. It is not a firmware update everybody should have - it was a test version for those willing to do beta testing.

February 26, 2010, 12:19:33 PM
Reply #56

paulselby1

Appologies. I've now stopped sharing this beta release.

My feeling is (and you can shoot me down if I'm wrong) that if as has been said in reply to my previous post this beta will become a full release 'as it is' then it will be no use for most users.

I'm pretty sure most are like me , happy with the product as it currently stands happily playing all the media I throw at it. All I'm after (and I'm sure others are the same) is some nice new features to add to a product that's already spot on.
WDLXTV-LIVE-0.3.4.5
USB 1 - 320GB WD Essential HD
USB 2 - 16GB  USB Pen Drive

Running Delulge

February 26, 2010, 01:44:18 PM
Reply #57

Whoheart

My feeling is (and you can shoot me down if I'm wrong) that if as has been said in reply to my previous post this beta will become a full release 'as it is' then it will be no use for most users.

Oh I agree with you there, it wouldn't be good if the current version becomes a full release, if for no other reason that they have introduced a big bug with playing MKVs from shares.
But since they have removed the prerelease from their homepage I'm guessing they are working on fixing this, and that we might see a new beta soon.

I'm pretty sure most are like me , happy with the product as it currently stands happily playing all the media I throw at it. All I'm after (and I'm sure others are the same) is some nice new features to add to a product that's already spot on.

Yeah, I think you are right. It generally does what it says on the box, there have been a few problems - objectively I don't think there have been that many, but I they seem to be wanting to fix them first - which is fair.

Of course a lot of us would like to see more features added (just check the homebrew forums), and whilst they didn't promise this on the box, they have indicated that they are prepared to add features which are possible (playing realmedia isn't possible since the playback chip doesn't support that, and the computer in the live isn't powerfull enough to do it on the fly - plus it would require additional licenses to be paid).

We also know that the official firmware only uses a small part of the firmware memory on the device (6% i think it was), so there is room for many more features to be add ... if they want to - exactly how much they want to is anybodies guess.

Perhaps they are getting ready to announce the WDTV Super Ding Dong Live with a Toaster version?!

We shall see :)

February 26, 2010, 02:23:57 PM
Reply #58

schnoid

Its true that they have absolutely no responsibility to do stuff that's not advertised on the box but the reality of the situation is come march... Popbox... Same price point.. much nicer interface... more functionality. Yes, not everyone that already has WD TV Live will switch over, but thats not really what they're worried about is it? I go to the store and see WD TV Live with very basic functions and a crappy interface... then I see popbox with an awesome interface and functions like DVD menus, search, and apps... hmm, which one do I choose!?!? You know the answer. WD TV will be a dead product if something drastic doesn't get released by next month. B-rad and others in the homebrew community will be the only ones keeping any interest in WD TV, but my hope is if nothing is changed he and all the others developing custom firmwares will switch over to something else. March is in 3 days... At the very latest we'll be seeing both popbox and boxee box in less than a month. I wonder if WD cares?

February 26, 2010, 02:49:54 PM
Reply #59

marciton

it's a beta
the MKV bug has been identify ... now we need wait for beta 2 that fix it  ;)

It's good to have beta and discover that type of bug on final firmware