Author Topic: WD TV Live Beta release 1.02.14 - limited time only!  (Read 57555 times)

February 24, 2010, 08:27:48 AM
Reply #30

timeey

Sorry, but I have only one word for the last firmware updates (including .12, .17 and .24) over the last ~2 or 3 MONTHs: ridiculous.

No fix for major bugs (audio async for ac3/dts and much more reported from the community), no autoframerate what is "in review" since WDTV Gen1 (and this is really not a big deal to code) or just the option to set the frequency without going through the whole menu, no dvd-menu support or something like that. All we get are new bugs. I know that this is only a beta-version and i'm not really pissed because of the new bug(s), but i'm pissed because it seems, that nothing happens. 1 step towards and 2 backwards... And I really dont need new shoutcasts or something like that (if this is the "major" thing what ScottWD talked about) - things like that could be implemented, if the unit has no more major bugs -, i need a useful MEDIAplayer for what i paid for.

I was one of the first wdtv gen1 and later wdtv live owner and i was really patient for the whole time, but now i'm really annoyed and disappointed. I advised many other people (in several forums) to buy the wdtv (live) if they search a good player for a good price. But as you can think, this is a thing of the past.
I bought the new Live because i thought there will be the features the community requested. But what i get, was a faster but async unit with a finally working 23.976Hz mode, where i cannot use ac3/dts and without that watching movies is no fun...

Just have a look at the new A200 and the updates. Released january/february 2010 and has two HUGE firmware-updates (29.1. and 24.2.) with a huge number of new features and bugfixes (reported from the community).... and what did WD since november?!

Sorry for my plain speaking...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:37:45 AM by timeey »

February 24, 2010, 11:07:57 AM
Reply #31

frankie-boy

My findings of the new firmware which I like:

1. True-HD is played, on one m2ts-file(???)(Second audio track). It's shown as Audio Channel AC3 (digital)
2. Subtitles within m2ts-files are shown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although it doesn't show the language. KEWL!!!!!!
3. *.mov files of our Panasonic can be played!!!!!
4. Subtitles within iso-files are shown with the right language...

Grtz,

Frank
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:17:46 AM by frankie-boy »

February 24, 2010, 11:37:52 AM
Reply #32

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
So many changes and still the major bugs are still present, like the out-of-sync audio issues with AC3 and digital output

OOS with AC3 is just so annoying.

My AV Receiver does a decent job of faking 5.1 with a stereo source, but is definitely not the same as with a proper digital input. something which becomes painstakingly evident when I watch a DTS movie with synced sound.
There is No Substitute!

February 24, 2010, 01:29:55 PM
Reply #33

Slimbo

There are new zoom out options as previously stated (0.9, 0.8, etc) which is cool - but if the powers that be are reading this thread could that be tweaked a little please? 0.99 - 0.90 then the rest of the progression as is would be brilliant - everyone who has an overscan problem would then be able to find their optimum viewing size :)

February 24, 2010, 02:50:24 PM
Reply #34

toadle

Still searching for that "Resolved: Thumbnail images showing up seperately from video-files on network-drives"-line. Sadly it is not to be found.

February 24, 2010, 03:38:37 PM
Reply #35

Whoheart

Still searching for that "Resolved: Thumbnail images showing up seperately from video-files on network-drives"-line. Sadly it is not to be found.

Then there was no point in posting.

Pointing out that i had to wait more then 10 minutes for and MKV is probably worth reporting though...
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 25, 2010, 12:50:22 AM
Reply #36

timeey

Yeah, useless update. Mkv playback over network is impossible because it needs some minutes. And I only use mkv's.

And no major bugfixes... just fix the ac3/dts async problem (and other important bugs), it is really annoying. And what about DVD-Menu? So much player have this feature, also cheap noname products, but for the WDTV it is "in review" since months (also for the old wdtv). And autoframerate? It's ridiculous that we have to go through the whole  menu to set the frequency. That isn't really a big deal to code.

Stop to put useless new shoutcasts or something like that in it, just fix the major bugs.... please!

February 25, 2010, 01:33:26 AM
Reply #37

Leverbrus

Yeah, useless update. Mkv playback over network is impossible because it needs some minutes. And I only use mkv's.

And no major bugfixes... just fix the ac3/dts async problem (and other important bugs), it is really annoying. And what about DVD-Menu? So much player have this feature, also cheap noname products, but for the WDTV it is "in review" since months (also for the old wdtv). And autoframerate? It's ridiculous that we have to go through the whole  menu to set the frequency. That isn't really a big deal to code.

Stop to put useless new shoutcasts or something like that in it, just fix the major bugs.... please!

Hear hear! Sync issues and the framerate problem are WDTV Live's biggest problems that turns normal operation into a big hazzle.

Please, WD, fix the sync on digital out!
Please, WD, look for inspiration in the PS3's way of handling auto framerate!
Please, WD, add support for dvd iso menus!

February 25, 2010, 01:55:57 AM
Reply #38

frankie-boy

As far as I'm concerned, it's definitely not a useless update :).
It benefits me a bit :).

February 25, 2010, 02:54:02 AM
Reply #39

marciton

Thank you WD dev team for the subtitle font size and .PGS subtitle support, these are huge improvements!

I would like to request a couple of things, if possible:

1. Ability to change subtitle position on the screen up/down (offset)

2. The audio information OSD when a video starts, can you disable that?

Thanks  :)

+1 please

February 25, 2010, 03:07:20 AM
Reply #40

synaptic

+1. They spent the last update fixing YouTube, this one is Networking fixes. Changing Workgroup name is exactly what I had been waiting for!

February 25, 2010, 03:41:19 AM
Reply #41

guuru

good stuff to get an update lol. there s allways stuff to fix and resolve. though, it would be nice to see tasklist from WD team, so that customers can perhaps see whats in the future fm releases, whats coming...?

edit:

also when there is a tasklist, ppl would less complain about things that are beeing worked on, picture would be a bit more clear ey?

February 25, 2010, 05:08:59 AM
Reply #42

timeey

+1. They spent the last update fixing YouTube, this one is Networking fixes. Changing Workgroup name is exactly what I had been waiting for!

Networking fixes? If you mean, that now a mkv takes minutes to start (with the old fw it starts immediately), then yea, nice fix... Network worked fine for me before and i only stream through network and I have no storage connected. And the workgroup thing is not really a big deal (furthermore: who needs that?! O_o)... that takes 10min to code.

There are more important bugs to fix than that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:22:19 AM by timeey »

February 25, 2010, 05:37:06 AM
Reply #43

drammff

According to big delay playing videos across network, it seems that during initial buffering, transfer rate is limited to 600kbps aprox, that's why it takes so long to start.

Playing videos through windows7 media server, doubles network speed compared to network shares on the same computer (via wifi).

Is WD putting some kind of throughput limits in their software?

WD please optimize netcode so this means you can watch a movie or not.

Sorry 4 my english.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:13:39 AM by drammff »

February 25, 2010, 07:00:57 AM
Reply #44

Whoheart

God, I wish people would shut up about what the want to see in the future, and concentrate on the current prerelease.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.