Author Topic: Does this player looks familiar to you?  (Read 1565 times)

February 23, 2010, 07:55:21 AM
Read 1565 times

adido1

February 23, 2010, 08:49:47 AM
Reply #1

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
I like two things I see on this "device", and those are the e-SATA connector and the ability to use a USB (HD)TV dongle [wonder if that support includes the ability to record to the connected HDD?].  Unlikely that this is a V3 because there is no evidence of network-ability unless it's wireless (not a good idea without a wired backup option).  However, I would not be surprised if this is not a "generic-brand" attempt by WD to gain more market presence (even if it's not branded for WD).

February 23, 2010, 08:54:15 AM
Reply #2

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
It's a Chinese "copy" with a few modifications like the eSATA.

Don't see what the network-ability has to do with being V3 or not though. The fact that it does not have network support would make it V3 (if it were WD that is) because the WD TV HD Media Player V1 and V2 do not have network support, the WD TV Live HD Media Player, a different product range, does.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

February 23, 2010, 09:14:53 AM
Reply #3

adido1

February 23, 2010, 09:24:15 AM
Reply #4

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
...Don't see what the network-ability has to do with being V3 or not though...

It was a common misconception that the WDTV Live was hailed as the WDTV2 (obviously before knowledge that WD intended to produce a V2 variant of the original WDTV HD Player).  In that respect, if this were being thought of as a WDTV3 (as it seemed to be inferred by the original post), it is only logical that it should have networking support instead of backsliding.  As I've come to realize, sadly, WD loves to add "ultimately worthless" features to an already existing product and call it something totally new (i.e. -- can't wait for the WDTV Super Live EXTRA, now with parallel port interface for printing subtitles on dot-matrix printers while you play the video).  Just so there's no confusion, that was meant to be a joke (although I wouldn't be surprised if the WD R&D department just said, "Oooohh, now that would be cool!").