Author Topic: Buying advice - for old non-hdmi thick TV  (Read 2036 times)

February 22, 2010, 01:35:07 AM
Read 2036 times

4r0m4s0pp

I'm currently living in a students apartment, and buying a new TV is not really an option at this moment.

My TV is a Panasonic TX-32PK25F - it is 30", and it was pretty awesome when it was new around the end of the last millennium. When I want to watch some videos on my TV now, I convert the avi-files to DVD video using some app, which takes a little too long time.

In the back the TV has 2 scart connections, one which is currently used for the DVD player. In the front, the TV has these connections:
S-video in, 1 x RCA video in, 2 x RCA audio in

And it seems that the "standard" WDTV (not mini, not live) have 3 RCA connections. Will WDTV via RCA give me the same quality as converting the avi-files myself to DVD? And will I be able to play HD-content - even though it will be "shrinked" to the lousy resolution and stereo audio?

February 22, 2010, 07:30:32 AM
Reply #1

kebien

Yes

Both the WDTV version 1 and WDTV LIVE have what is called "composite" output,those RCA outputs you see.(yellow,red and white)
It will play your DVD rips or even those AVI's without any conversion.
And will play those HD BD rips too,of course in SD through that output.
While they are "shrinked" to SD,doesnt mean they will be distorted on display,they will probably show black bars at top and bottom,depending on which settings you chose to use.
Now what is interesting,is that the LIVE version has also RGB/YPbPr and could also be used in your case,as long as the scart from that TV allow this connection.

February 22, 2010, 04:44:42 PM
Reply #2

AyDee

Now what is interesting,is that the LIVE version has also RGB/YPbPr and could also be used in your case,as long as the scart from that TV allow this connection.
Maybe use something like this?

WDTV Mini also has composite and component (RGB/YPbPr) out but I'm not sure what resolutions it plays up to

February 22, 2010, 11:49:50 PM
Reply #3

4r0m4s0pp

So my best opinion will be to get a WDTV (not mini) or a WDTV live, use it both now on this old TV, and in the future when I get a proper TV?

But my TV has these connections in the front (behind some kind of cover, together with headset-plug): S-video in, 1 x RCA video in, 2 x RCA audio in

So WDTV I can plug directly in on the front via the RCA-cables, or I can plug it in on the back via a scart-adapter?

Does WDTV live come with adapters to RCA? So I can also connect WDTV live to the front via RCA, or in the back via the same scart-adapter that AyDee linked to?

February 23, 2010, 06:58:52 AM
Reply #4

kebien

Yes,will work using the front rca inputs of your TV.
Yes,will work also when you upgrade the TV.
Yes,you can use the scart if you want ,but not mandatory.
WDTV version 1 do not come with a cable,that I recall. (but it's been well over 1 year I have it)
WDTV LIVE comes with the composite and component cable,all RCA,you wouldn't need to buy any other cable.
None of them come with HDMI cable for your future TV.

I'm sure it will do what your dvd player do,same good quality,and more,because it will let you watch many more file formats,including HD (but you won;t be able to appreciate it until you upgrade)

February 23, 2010, 12:07:37 PM
Reply #5

4r0m4s0pp

I didn't waste any time, and went to the store today and got myself a WDTV live. And a scart-adapter, so I can avoid plugging the cables in in front.

It works great!! :D

I haven't connected it to the network yet. Can I copy stuff directly to the USB connected to WDTV via network?

February 23, 2010, 04:10:24 PM
Reply #6

kebien

Yes,using FTP client
You can try using firefox fireFTP addon ,it connects well and can drag and drop from pc to the HDD connected in the WDTV live usb port.
You just have to browse the wdtv file structure.

But if you connect to the network,wireless or wired,you do not need any hdd connected to the device,it can play stuff directly from your pc.

March 06, 2010, 08:06:04 AM
Reply #7

bmoore09

I bought a HDMIT-to-DVI adapter..It works well...Does your TV have one of those?