Author Topic: Image dragging when screen scrolls fast  (Read 945 times)

February 21, 2010, 10:45:42 PM
Read 945 times

razer

I have to apologize about my pretty basic english level, so maybe that's why I couldn't find the answer to my question on the forum. (or maybe I found it but failed to understand).
I'm owner of the WD HD Media Player (old version, the one that does not do DTS), updated with the latest firmware.
Everything seems to work flawlesly, except for one thing.
Image seems to 'drag', or to show some kind of 'ghosting' (I surely don't know the right word), when a fast motion is played on the movie. (ie. when a guy is running).
That is while playing any kind of MKV, either 720p or 1080p.
Other than that I don't find any problem, and I'm still enjoying the device.
But I wanted to check with you guys, if somehow I may have chance to fix the issue, or it's normal and should get used to live with it.
My TV set is a cheap 42" LCD, which will support YUV/60HZ and YUV/50HZ through HDMI, and I have the WD output set to 60HZ.

I apreciate any feedback, and apologize if this question was already answered before.

edit: I should add, this problem happens on any video, any bitrate, and on any hard drive.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:55:25 PM by razer »

February 23, 2010, 06:57:12 PM
Reply #1

oposky2006

Same model, latest firmware, no such problem. Might be your TV or maybe even the HDMI cable (which is often the problem point). Try another HDMI cable. How about the composite connection? Does it exhibit ghosting too? Try setting output to another resolution and see. If nothing works, check on another TV.

February 24, 2010, 08:53:43 PM
Reply #2

razer

Thanks for the answer.  :)
Problem solved in a strange way.
I did set the output to 50hz, and for some reason the problem has gone. I don't know why thought, since my movies are mostly 23.976 f/s.
But it does sync perfectly at 1080p-50hz, with no ghosting, no judder (as far as my eyes can tell), so no problem. Perfect playback now.
I guess this happens when you buy a below-$700 42" LCD.  :P
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:00:11 PM by razer »