Author Topic: Here is the current list of everything thats pending and in review at WD  (Read 4881 times)

February 19, 2010, 02:55:42 PM
Read 4881 times

dribbller1

Here is a list of pending stuff that will definitely be fixed/added in future firmware updates.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/idb-p/idea/status-key/pending

This gives us some idea what may be included in the next firmware updates.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/idb-p/idea/status-key/inreview

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything to do with the double thumb issue.... I really wish they would concede that this is a BUG!!!  

My mistake.... i missed it as I was looking for a subject that mentioned thumbs appear twice or double thumbs etc

Here is the paste so heres hoping it will be fixed which would be great :)

Only show me what I ask for!
by bullitt453 on 12-03-2009 05:51 AM
As mentioned in numerous other online forums, the fact that thumbnail images are show right along with the video files when in the VIDEO section is just absurd. With 54 video files in one of my shares, I have to browse through 54 thumbnail .jpg files before I get to the actual video files (even more if I go ahead and put some placeholder .jpgs in the for movies I haven't added to the share yet). When I go to the VIDEO section, I could really care less about the .jpg files that are in that folder. Only reason they are in there in the first place is to display as thumbnails for the VIDEO files.
We understand the frustration this problem causes. This is on our to-do list. Thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:34:21 PM by dribbller1 »

February 20, 2010, 03:32:23 PM
Reply #1

Whoheart

Well, I hope they retain the ability to show EVERYTHING when you are in list mode - otherwise I shall be upset.

(And don't anyone then dare then to say the usual nonsense about "First people want this change A. Then when they get change A they don't want it anyway")
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 20, 2010, 03:39:21 PM
Reply #2

Whoheart

Btw, linking to "pending" is more likely to give people an idea of what to expect in future firmware updates - reviews can be rejected quickly.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 20, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
Reply #3

dribbller1

Btw, linking to "pending" is more likely to give people an idea of what to expect in future firmware updates - reviews can be rejected quickly.

I didn't see a "pending" section!!

****pending added****
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:29:45 PM by dribbller1 »

February 20, 2010, 05:38:42 PM
Reply #4

dribbller1

Well, I hope they retain the ability to show EVERYTHING when you are in list mode - otherwise I shall be upset.

(And don't anyone then dare then to say the usual nonsense about "First people want this change A. Then when they get change A they don't want it anyway")

Personally IMO if your in video then all you should see is video content... same with music and pictures.

To see everything when your in a certain media type is ridiculous..... what your after is a "view all media" option... maybe you should request this.

February 21, 2010, 07:34:08 PM
Reply #5

jajasdad

They should implement a filter based on type selected, which is changeable from the folder that you are in.  So selecting video, invokes the video filter and shows only those files in say some network share that you then select. But then altering the filter to say pictures would allow you to show those file types without having to navigate from that folder.

February 21, 2010, 09:36:53 PM
Reply #6

III

Thanks for that tidbit..its awfully nice to not get my hopes up now that i know the arbitrariness of the stuff in review.....
 i went over the "pending" section, only 1 of those things is of interest to me.... and not expecting a lot of other updates in the next FW will leave more of a chance of being surprised by some awesome fix or feature...

February 21, 2010, 10:22:29 PM
Reply #7

Whoheart

Thanks for that tidbit..its awfully nice to not get my hopes up now that i know the arbitrariness of the stuff in review.....
 i went over the "pending" section, only 1 of those things is of interest to me.... and not expecting a lot of other updates in the next FW will leave more of a chance of being surprised by some awesome fix or feature...

It seems to me (and i don't work there) that if the developers don't think its right out stupid (lets have a washing machine emulator!) they will look into it to see how feasible it is and based on that they may put it on the todo list. They already know some things are not possible, like say playing real videos (has to be done in the chip, and the chip can't do those).

Can't say I'm uber excited about the current pending ones, though depending on how they enhance the subtitles I might like a bit of better flexibility there - I've always wanted a translucent bar behind the sub titles (to make them stand out more from whatever is behind the picture).

And of course there is a current rendering bug with some subtitles.

February 21, 2010, 10:26:52 PM
Reply #8

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
I've always wanted a translucent bar behind the sub titles (to make them stand out more from whatever is behind the picture).
Which they would even without that bar if someone had not come up with the crazy idea to make the usual black outline transparent.

February 21, 2010, 11:11:35 PM
Reply #9

dribbller1

I've always wanted a translucent bar behind the sub titles (to make them stand out more from whatever is behind the picture).
Which they would even without that bar if someone had not come up with the crazy idea to make the usual black outline transparent.

Not sure where you guys are from but Im down under and we have a channel called SBS that plays a lot of foreign movies... There subtitles are yellow and they are never hard to read... In fact sometimes when other networks use subtitles for whatever reason and they are white I straight away think of the yellow SBS subtitles and how much easier they are to read.

I think if WD have a colour change option you guys would be pleased.

Here is an example of SBS

Classic Kommissar Rex
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:26:04 PM by dribbller1 »

February 22, 2010, 08:26:29 AM
Reply #10

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
I for one hate yellow subtitles but at least your subs are done as is on pretty much all devices (except the Live): with an intransparent outline.

February 22, 2010, 10:16:23 AM
Reply #11

Whoheart

Hehe dribbller1,

Its funny you should write that - your word in yellow: I couldn't read it! It just faded into the background on the page  :o

Like Techflaws I don't like yellow subtitles, it seems so wrong - its funny - guess its what we have been indoctrinated with over time  ;D

But here is an example of translucent subs with bars - its typically crappy youtube quality so it may not be apparent.

Lisa Nilsson Talkshow i dansk tv #2

(I know some people think they take up too much space - but not if you have a big TV ;) )

February 22, 2010, 09:22:48 PM
Reply #12

dribbller1

When I made the "yellow" in colour yellow I noticed immediately it was hard to read on the white back... thought I would leave it for a laugh hahaha... I knew you guys would pick up on it  :)

translucent subs with bars works for me too :) maybe they will have an option for everything.... colours, bars etc.... are we asking to much now lol?

Just one thing in relation to your comment about the bars taking room and big tv's..... the bigger the tv the bigger the subtitles and bars right... meaning your still losing the same amount of picture (room)  ;D .... unless you were referring to then being able to make the subs smaller on bigger tv's due to its size and therefor seeing more of the picture.... then yep your right  ;)

February 24, 2010, 11:50:02 AM
Reply #13

perfectdark

Hehe dribbller1,

Its funny you should write that - your word in yellow: I couldn't read it! It just faded into the background on the page  :o

Like Techflaws I don't like yellow subtitles, it seems so wrong - its funny - guess its what we have been indoctrinated with over time  ;D

But here is an example of translucent subs with bars - its typically crappy youtube quality so it may not be apparent.

(I know some people think they take up too much space - but not if you have a big TV ;) )

Oh god !!! Hell NO

The subtitles with bars is a terrible idea and looks terrible too. I don't know why anyone would want this. Personaly, I don't care much about subtitles since all my shows have english and on a rare occasion during foreign speaking moments i see them but those are hardcoded by the source.
If I had to choose I would 110% go with yellow subtitles, much better IMO

February 24, 2010, 09:10:20 PM
Reply #14

dribbller1

Hehe dribbller1,

Oh god !!! Hell NO

The subtitles with bars is a terrible idea and looks terrible too. I don't know why anyone would want this. Personaly, I don't care much about subtitles since all my shows have english and on a rare occasion during foreign speaking moments i see them but those are hardcoded by the source.
If I had to choose I would 110% go with yellow subtitles, much better IMO

I also prefer the yellow cos that's what I'm used to.. but we all have different tastes and likes which is human I guess.... so that's the very reason why we need options.... options allows for personalization and keeps everyone happy :)