Author Topic: AAC and DTS conflict?  (Read 1712 times)

February 15, 2010, 09:36:39 PM
Read 1712 times

bonder

Before I begin, I want to confirm I've searched the forum extensively and haven't come across this question being asked.

Question:  Does WDTV send multiple audio tracks (both DTS and non DTS) from a MKV container to my TV and AV Receiver?

Background:

I'm running WDTV (version 1) to my TV via HDMI and to my AV receiver via Toslink in order to get DTS sound for my movies and concert videos.

I've converted all my concert video's with Handbrake into MKV containers with 2 audio tracks (DTS/DTS Passthru) and (LPCM / AAC Passthru) as an example.  

My problem is both my TV and AV receiver are only reading/recognizing the first audio track in the MKV container, therefore if DTS was the first track selected then I'm getting DTS sound from my AV receiver (as I would expect) however my I'm getting no sound from my TV, now I don't expect to get DTS sound as I understand version 1 doesn't offer this but I was expecting my TV to recognize the second audio file in the container and play that?  Is this a reasonable expectation?  (Changing the settings from digital to stereo didn't help)

Alternatively, If the first track was non DTS and the second audio track was DTS then my TV plays sound but my AV receiver does not play DTS (only LPCM).  

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:22:51 AM by bonder »

February 19, 2010, 01:54:58 PM
Reply #1

AyDee

You have to manually select a second audio track to play it. Hit the 'option' button on your remote while the movie is playing to access audio, subtitle, and display options. Also 6ch AAC is not supported.

February 19, 2010, 05:34:32 PM
Reply #2

bonder

Thanks, that solved it!!

I programed the WDTV remote into my AV remote but didn't include the option button, thinking I didn't need it...  :-[