Author Topic: Best Format for Video  (Read 2503 times)

February 14, 2010, 12:09:05 PM
Read 2503 times

dwjake2013

Hey,

One quick question to anyone who knows,

What is the best format to put my movies in. Space is not whatsoever a problem, i have 2 2TB HD so I have plenty of space. I thought about just doing a full disc rip, but the wdtv does not support dvd menus or does it? idk

Also i know there out there, but i just dont know where

I think some poeple created hacks to make the wdtv play chapters, or menus u know no wdc releases. Are these something i should look into?

Thanks Everyone!!!!

February 21, 2010, 07:15:35 AM
Reply #1

Zal

I rip my DVDs with Handbrake, I put the size 1000 MB x hours + 500 MB, Audio to AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and to MKV file format with x264 coding (you can change other things, but I'm satisfied with the original settings), I glue the subtitle to the video because when I play the video file and turn on the subtitle, it has no outline which annoying in bright scenes. I don't see the difference on my CRT SDTV (32") between the DVD and the video file, and the size is half of the original! I ripped around 350 movies ;)

The process takes around 1.5 hours for a 2.0 hours movie on my C2D E8200. If you want it faster you can make mkvs with MakeMKV, it takes around 10 minutes, but the size is the same as the DVD (no encoding).

February 24, 2010, 10:53:22 PM
Reply #2

oposky2006

in my opinion, mkv is  the best format for playback on wdtv

February 25, 2010, 02:42:01 AM
Reply #3

AyDee

MKV supports chapters, but they are still a pain to navigate.
Nothing supports menus and I don't see us getting an update for it.
Custom firmware + movie sheets do quite nicely for me!

March 01, 2010, 01:09:28 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
There is no right answer to what you are asking.  It is a space vs speed versus time, versus chapters and audio issue.  All methods have limitations and advantages. 

I suggest you read up on MKVs and Xvid files on this site.  There are tons of great comparisons already presented and they are very lengthy and informative. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 01, 2010, 03:51:44 PM
Reply #5

Whoheart

Indeed, Twistys explanation here is fairly short and concise (for the topic)

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.