Author Topic: 1.01.24 firmware + windows 7 ???  (Read 4525 times)

February 12, 2010, 06:46:29 PM
Read 4525 times

dribbller1

This is my question..... is anyone having "GREATER" problems with network shares and windows 7 with the new 1.01.24 firmware??

Ever since buying the live I like many have had problems with networking (network shares) and windows 7.

First with original firmware network shares worked at random also with b-rads firmware it worked randomly... what i found in both cases was when it decided to not see the network share at all or if it did see the network share but no folder inside I simply stopped sharing and re shared the folder giving the needed exceptions and rights etc and usually it would work again.

2 days ago I decided to go back to the original firmware from b-rads and I started by installing version WDTVLive 1.01.11 without a problem... it then took me through all the updates right up to the latest WDTVLive 1.01.24 again without a problem... however since doing all this I have not been able to get into network shares.... now having this problem many many many many times before I did what I would normally do which I mentioned above without success, I then decided to do the registry tweaks with no luck so at this point I don't know what else to do... it seems that since upgrading to the latest firmware its even harder than before to get my shares to work.

At this stage after turning on the WDTV and going on network shares it takes a while before it sees my computer but it does eventually, but once I click in it, it shows the title of the shared folder in the top left corner but the search circle indicator just keeps spinning and after a bit it gives a "there is no media in the current folder" message and obviously I have plenty of media which as I said has worked fine before.

***EDIT*** fixed and now working!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:10:21 PM by dribbller1 »

February 13, 2010, 07:06:44 AM
Reply #1

Sp3kt3r

Hi,

You are not the only one with this problem,

First when I bought the WDTV live my network share was working perfectly.. for about almost two month. Last week I decided to add a share folder and when I went back on my WDTV it wasn't able to detect any computer in the network share. it was fine for Media Server but no computer was detected if I was clicking on Network Share. I reviewed again all my network share + the tweak and nothing was working. I decided to just give up and 3 days later they started to show up again. I was happy and starting again to watch my movie from network share until yesterday in the middle of the movie and this time I didn't touch ANYTHING ! the Network share disappear. Now nothing happen when I click network share, but i'm still able to access through media server (which I don't like  cause it's too slow)

I have windows 7 64bits
my wdtv firmware is the 1.01.24

I'm going soon to get another device for network access and use the wdtv for local cause his not reliable :(

February 13, 2010, 02:45:19 PM
Reply #2

rojowolfe

I am having the exact same problems, very frustrating!  The box worked INCREDIBLY for about a week.  It saw all computers on my network fine, and it was able to play about everything I threw at it from a desktop PC and 2 laptops, all running Windows 7 32bit.  Then for no apparent reason all 3 computers disappeared from the network screen.  It sees my ZyXel NAS fine, and I can play anything stored on it...but most of my media is on my desktop PC.  I've talking with WD support twice on this issue.  They first blamed it on a bad unit.  I returned it, got a brand new one and am still having the same problem.  It might randomly read the network fine for a few hours, but then breaks again.  When I called support again, a guy in terribly broken English blamed my router and switch and offered no further help.

I want more than anything for this thing to work.  For me it's a great answer because I don't want a full time PC sitting next to my TV.  It uses much less energy and is noiseless, with HDMI and optical audio built in.  It plays almost every format I've come across, includes Pandora, Live365, Flickr.  But it should be able to scan a network for other computers/devices easily.  Or at least let me manually enter an IP address to access. 

Sharing files between computers via the network is working fine, and all computers can see each other on the network.  I can even see the WDTV Live box from each computer.  If they're going to blame their bugs on a widely used Netgear switch and this device can't be used how it's advertised, it's 90% useless to me.  I can easily spend $150 on something else at Best Buy.

February 13, 2010, 07:08:56 PM
Reply #3

dribbller1

Well guys I woke this morning feeling happy which soon ended.... Yep I turned the wdtv live on and went to network shares... from the start I knew it was no good again as it took ages to find my PC.... eventually it did and sure enough the spinning search indicator just kept spinning and spinning then after a bit gave me the no file in folder message.

I checked my share settings on the PC and they are exactly as it was yesterday when it was all working....So frustrating!!!!!

February 13, 2010, 07:21:44 PM
Reply #4

dribbller1

Ok since my last ettempt this morning I went out shopping and turned the pc off in the process... since coming home now afternoon I turned the pc on and thought hmmm Ill try the WDTV and what do you know its detecting my PC instantly again through network shares and finding all my shared files.

So this is the story so far... last night... tried for hours to get it to work and eventually it worked.
Turned PC off before going to bed
Woke this morning turned PC on... turned on WDTV and NOT WORKING AAARRGGGGHHH!!!!
Turned PC off as I had to go shopping
Came home just before (afternoon) and turned PC on just to surf the net
Turned WDTV just to see and what the heck do you know.... working.

So in summery... from now on when this happens again I'm not gonna touch any setting I'm simply going to shutdown PC and Re-start it after 2 minutes..... because that's all I did!

As I said before........ frustrating!!!

***EDIT*** something just happened that has never happened before.... as I was typing this post I had a movie playing in the lounge... it went quiet and when I walked in the room there was a message on the screen saying that the network was lost. I clicked ok and it went back to the menu and I navigated back into network shares without a problem and started the same movie which is playing right now as I type this.... I'll see how it goes.

February 26, 2010, 04:15:19 PM
Reply #5

Daniel001

I have the similar problems..

Heres my setup:
WDTVLive HD (B-Rad's Latest .24 firmware)
Router D-Link Dir-615
Computer Windows7 64 Bit with Eset Antivirus 64 Bit.

Was having trouble with origina factory latest firmware, tried B-rads Latest Firmware, was working great for like 3 days. When i tried a .mkv movie, it starts jerking (never did that before). Avi playes fine..    .flv some plays some dont.  Lost Network lately, taking a break from it..   When I disable Anti Virus and firewall, seems to work better sometimes..      maybe antivirus downloads update and it triggers something in the firewall that blocks the WDtv  etc..   just an idea..

It is frustrating sometimes, I have worked with other Networking box that uses "Linux" and it was never easy to get Windows and Linux to work together.   Wish we would all help each other on trying to find the problem that is causing all this once in for all.. 

I'd like to also say that I am impressed with B-rad's custom firmware. Nice.  Once I get the box working like it should, I wouldn't mind making some add-ons myself. 
Dan

March 06, 2010, 05:27:39 AM
Reply #6

RazorEdger

I just bought a wdtv live a week ago and it setup instantly and downloaded to laster firmware 1.01.24 and found all my files through Media Servers. A great start. I have ripped a few DVD discs to mkv format and viewed fine through wdtv live.

As others, I cannot access Network shares. It says there aren't any. Or alternately it asks for a user and password which is useless because I don't use passwords on my pcs, in other words, when I turn on a pc/laptop it goes directly to desktop.

I stream everything through meda servers and it works, but it would be nice to be able to see my organized folders, not just a bunch of alfa ordered files.

Also it would be nice to access the network shares, and that without user/pw since I don't have any.
Has anyone succeeded?

March 06, 2010, 10:57:00 AM
Reply #7

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute

Also it would be nice to access the network shares, and that without user/pw since I don't have any.
Has anyone succeeded?

"I don't have any" - sounds like a very insecure setup.

Anyway, just add a secondary user to your system with a user/pw and set it to have access to your shared dirs. Then use that info in your wdtv.
There is No Substitute!

March 07, 2010, 01:09:22 AM
Reply #8

SoNic67

I have the 1.01.24 FW with Windows7 x64. Networking works fine via a Trendnet TEW-632BRP router and a Belkin hub. For months now...
At the begining I had problems with Windows Live Sign In Assistant - the networking would not work with that software installed on PC.
So:
1. Stop baming the box, look for what you have changed in your PC!
2. If you don't know what are you doing, do not install "customized" firmwares and cry that is not working. Personally I think the device is not meant to replace a PC and cannot handle the extra taskes that a custom FW wants to do - it just doesn't have the "muscle".
3. Don't like it? Get a player based on Realtek cipset. Then you will see the meaning of "network is not working with Windows7". I had to return one because nothing worked for it. And the problem is generalized for that cipset - just read "other" formums about it.

March 07, 2010, 03:24:31 AM
Reply #9

SeveQ

@SoNic67: just because you have other problems with other devices doesn't mean others don't have any real problems. Everybody has got his/hers unique problems that are subjectivly contemplated more or less serious.

@topic: I've got a similar problem, sorry, already mentioned in another thread. I can't really tell what it is but I can't access the network share item at all. It just happens nothing when I press enter on it. Can you, that you have all those problems with the Windows 7 shares, see any reaction on pressing enter on the network shares menu item? Just for info: I reinstalled original 1.01.24 after I had installed WDlxTV 0.4.1.7-1.

March 13, 2010, 04:34:37 PM
Reply #10

RazorEdger

Update on Network Share access...seems like a lifetime has passed since my last post, not just a week.

The access problem has been resolved by adding a Guest user with reading permissions to the shared files, disconnecting the WDTV live from the electric socket and the ethernet cable. Then I plugged in the electric socket again and afterwards plugged in the ethernet cable. Since then Network Shares on PC and Laptop are available directly without pw or user.

A new issue has appeared today: After playing a movie for a few minutes, it stops and I get the Network lost error screen. However when I go back through Network Shares to the videos  I can resume play or play another file without another hitch. Seems when you fix one thing another bug appears.

Media servers files never seem to show new files but unplugging the device as explained above will usually fix it....:D