Author Topic: No longer recognizing files...  (Read 2770 times)

February 10, 2010, 01:01:52 PM
Read 2770 times

I've had my wdtv box for a good few months now and had absolutely no problems with it.

Recently I went to update the movies on my hd. I have a 500gb seagate free agent, and have been using this drive without problems since I got my WDTV.
My hard drive was quite full and I didn't have much space for more movies, so I decided to format it and start over, I used mac osx's disk utility and format it to windows NT, but when I put all my movies back onto the drive, my WDTV is telling me that the video formats aren't supported (which, I know they are since they worked before hand).
I figured this may have been a problem with the mac, so I formatted the drive as NTFS using a windows pc.
I also updated my wdtv to the latest firmware.
Plugged in my drive, and I have the exact same problem. It recognizes the drive, and the video files, but they come up as OKB and unreadable. This is also the same for the photo files on my drive.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point, has anyone else had similar problems? thanks.

February 12, 2010, 01:13:21 PM
Reply #1

macformat

looks that the problem was caused by the mac . the ntfs file format is not fully supprted on osx, so its better to format on Win Pc.
have you tried with new mkv files?  the current mkv could be damaged. try putting a .iso dvd image with no menus or another .avi file....

February 12, 2010, 04:22:20 PM
Reply #2

Peptide

0010100, I think the Mac theory may not be the case.  I use PC and I have an absolutely identical situation to yours.  My WDTV has been working awesome for the last 2 months.  It was playing MP4, MKV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, and others.  All of a sudden out of nowhere, every file i try to open/watch says that the format is not supported and to check the user manual for more info.  Even the demo videos that came on the  "set-up" disk have the same error message.  No matter what I try, I get the same thing.  It doesn't seem reasonable to assume that there is a physical malfuntion (chips, circuitry, etc..) as the symptoms are program / software related, but seeing as there is absolutely no explanation why this would just happen all-of-a-sudden, I am going to return it under the terms of my warranty and try to get a new one.  I will keep you apprised of any changes.

Have you tried to reapply the firmware? (kind of like reinstalling an operation system)

February 13, 2010, 10:28:32 AM
Reply #3

Keep me posted on how the new one works out! I'm considering the same thing, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not an actual fault, just something stupid.
Did your box just stop working or did you do anything to your hd beforehand?

I've tried installing new firmware, reinstalling it, and just not did a factory reset. Still, nothing at all.

February 14, 2010, 04:23:23 AM
Reply #4

Peptide

I didn't do anything to my HD first.  It just stopped working properly but in diagnostic fashion, I tried several things including hooking up new hard drives and usb sticks with media on them.  This should have had the same effect as reformatting my existing drive and retrying that.

Another reason I think the problem may be firmware related is that every time I remove a hard drive from the WDTV, I do it by the book; press eject, choose the drive, then remove.

I bought mine from Staples.  If you got yours retail, you could try exchanging it out.  Staples, as usual, is a bunch of unprofessional rules-hounds and wont take it because its past the 14 day return policy.

I'll let you know.

February 14, 2010, 11:06:13 AM
Reply #5

rayd

Have you tried pressing the Reset button on the top, near the USB socket?

Sorts out a multitude of sins!

Cheers,

Ray D

February 24, 2010, 08:52:56 AM
Reply #6

Have you tried pressing the Reset button on the top, near the USB socket?

I tried pressing it several times, with several different things, but it literally did nothing. It didn't reset, turn off, or show any signs of me pressing anything.

February 26, 2010, 09:06:39 AM
Reply #7

jmhoying

I have the WDTV Live wired to my network and all .avi movies have worked fine, although it sometimes had problems finding files in a timely manner.  The unit has never seen a single one of my .mkv files on the network, but plays them fine from a USB drive.  I recently installed TVersity media server on my Windows 7 machine and WDTV Live now sees every one of my many .mkv files.  However, if I try to play them, I get the "file format not supported" message, even though they will play from a USB drive.  (.avi files still work fine from the network) 
  Also, I had a standard WDTV and it would play my .wmv video files just fine, but the WDTV Live will give me the "file format not supported" message every time. (networked and direct connect)

I had contacted WD about the network issues, but was very dissapointed in their support.  Hopefully someone will have a fix for this problem.

Thanks much,
Jack

April 08, 2010, 08:17:33 AM
Reply #8

Sent my box away to western digital probably over a month ago at this point.
It cost me 10euro to ship it out, which is quite steep I know.

The new box arrived today, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out they had sent me out the new version as opposed to the original  version that I had before.
Set it all up, plugged in the exact same hard drive I had always been watching my videos off.

First of all, the batteries they gave me with the new box, were dead. Which was a great start. It's not a big deal, but you'd think they could at least give me some fresh batteries with the dam thing.
Went to the shop and got some new AAA batteries. Came home, only to have the new box have the exact same fucking problem as the last one.
Honestly, do western digital even have any sort of quality control? I've tried different drives, I've every different format I can think of. I've tried video files I know for a fact are compatible as I've played them on it before.
I have crossed off every problem it may be and the only thing left is the box.

So now I'm either stuck with a useless black plastic box. Or I have to go send this one off again, and only hope WD actually bother to test a replacement one before sending it out.

Well, there's my update. Happy as fucking Larry as I'm sure you've noticed.